So Who's # 2? | The Boneyard

So Who's # 2?

So Who's # 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn Huskies WBB is absolutely loaded this coming season. The Huskies are the consensus #1 team in the nation and favorites to win an unprecedented 12th national championship. It’s a testament to just how good UConn will be that the biggest question may well be whether or not the team will go undefeated on their way to another championship.

What about everybody else? If the Huskies are the odds-on favorite to run away with WBB again, who’s #2? I have listed the most likely suspects IMO: Baylor, MS St, ND, SC & TX, UCLA, along with a listing for “Other.”

As always, I look forward to everyone’s vote and feedback.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wanted to say South Carolina, but the departed transfers took a lot with them. Texas is imposing but always seems to find a way to falter. I went with the Muffettes, though they too have questions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m going out on the limb a little bit by picking Texas as #2. Karen Aston has been engaged in a slow but steady resurrection of the Longhorns to their former greatness. This could well be the year that Texas finally overtakes Baylor for the top spot in the Big 12.

Baylor lost 4 key players from last year’s team with the graduation of talented g/w’s Davis, Jones & Prince and the transfer of center Mompremier. Kalani Brown is a star and Wallace is very capable, if she can get out of Kim’s doghouse. But Cox & Chou are going to have to make serious sophomore leaps for Baylor to rule the Big 12 again this year, and Baylor’s OOC schedule full of cupcakes won’t help very much.

As for TX, they may have the best backcourt in the nation, not playing in Storrs, CT, with senior guards Atkins & McCarty. Assuming that Holmes comes off her suspension in December ready to play, she could be an AA. While center Kelsey Lang graduated, transfer Jatarie White from SC is ready to step right in. Add in a very talented group of freshmen as well as a number of capable reserves and this team could end up in Columbus, OH in April for a second meeting with the Huskies.

The 1st meeting of course will be in Austin, TX on January 15. TX WBB has not been a big draw in recent years, but I would expect a packed house when the “circus” comes to town lead by its illustrious ringmaster, Geno Auriemma. This game will be a great yardstick for how far the Longhorns have come, and whether they can hang with the greatest program in the history of WBB. If they keep it close, I’m sure that Longhorn fans will all be chanting by the end of the game, “WE’RE NUMBER TWO!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I’m going out on the limb a little bit by picking Texas as #2. Karen Aston has been engaged in a slow but steady resurrection of the Longhorns to their former greatness. This could well be the year that Texas finally overtakes Baylor for the top spot in the Big 12.

Baylor lost 4 key players from last year’s team with the graduation of talented g/w’s Davis, Jones & Prince and the transfer of center Mompremier. Kalani Brown is a star and Wallace is very capable, if she can get out of Kim’s doghouse. But Cox & Chou are going to have to make serious sophomore leaps for Baylor to rule the Big 12 again this year, and Baylor’s OOC schedule full of cupcakes won’t help very much.

As for TX, they may have the best backcourt in the nation, not playing in Storrs, CT, with senior guards Atkins & McCarty. Assuming that Holmes comes off her suspension in December ready to play, she could be an AA. While center Kelsey Lang graduated, transfer Jatarie White from SC is ready to step right in. Add in a very talented group of freshmen as well as a number of capable reserves and this team could end up in Columbus, OH in April for a second meeting with the Huskies.

The 1st meeting of course will be in Austin, TX on January 15. TX WBB has not been a big draw in recent years, but I would expect a packed house when the “circus” comes to town lead by its illustrious ringmaster, Geno Auriemma. This game will be a great yardstick for how far the Longhorns have come, and whether they can hang with the greatest program in the history of WBB. If they keep it close, I’m sure that Longhorn fans will all be chanting by the end of the game, “WE’RE NUMBER TWO!
I will add it think Texas got a good one freshman in Patterson. I think she is going to be good.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Before Cooper and DeShields left. Tennessee probably would be #2. Still has a talented team. Just a bit younger though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While SC appears to be a logical choice for #2 for many BY'ers, I’m not completely sold. Wilson may well be the NPOY and Dawn has a very capable team around her, but I can’t get away from the importance of Gray & Davis to last year’s championship run, even more so than Coates. They were tough and athletic on-ball defenders with the ability to attack the basket on offense. I just don’t see two comparable players this year for the Gamecocks.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Before Cooper and DeShields left. Tennessee probably would be #2. Still has a talented team. Just a bit younger though.

Wait, what? Maybe in a dream would Tennessee be #2. Tennessee finished last season losing to Alabama in the 1st round of the SEC tournament and losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. So no. Creme had them at preseason #8 before losing Deshields, Middleton and Cooper and that was probably too high based on last season's end-of-year failures.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wait, what? Maybe in a dream would Tennessee be #2. Tennessee finished last season losing to Alabama in the 1st round of the SEC tournament and losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. So no. Creme had them at preseason #8 before losing Deshields, Middleton and Cooper and that was probably too high based on last season's end-of-year failures.
I was talking about overall talent.

Reaction Score
All the teams listed lost significant players either through graduation or transfers!
MissSt and UCLA may have brought back the most pieces to their puzzles.
With TX, if Holmes gets back relatively soon from her suspension they can make a run!
UCONN may have to be both 1 and 1a for awhile!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I'm casting my sentimental vote for the Missouri Tigers. They won't be taken lightly in the SEC.

1 Kelsey Winfrey 5-9 G Fr. Lebanon, Mo. / Lebanon
2 Jordan Roundtree 5-9 G So. St. Louis, Mo. / Kirkwood
3 Sophie Cunningham 6-1 G Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
4 Bri Porter 6-3 F R-Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
5 Lauren Aldridge 5-7 G R-Jr. Marshfield, Mo. / Marshfield Kansas
10 Nadia Green 5-10 G Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
12 Elle Brown 5-11 G Fr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
13 Hannah Schuchts 6-2 F R-So. Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay
20 Kayla McDowell 6-2 F R-Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio / Mason
21 Cierra Porter 6-4 F Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
22 Jordan Frericks 6-1 F R-Sr. Quincy, Ill. / Quincy Notre Dame
23 Amber Smith 5-11 G So. Shreveport, La. / Loyola College Prep
24 Jordan Chavis 5-7 G So. Lexington, N.C. / Central Davidson
34 Emmanuelle Tahane 6-1 F Fr. Bondy, France / Marcelin Berthelot

Reaction Score
Maybe because they have the #1 recruiting class coming in.

Reaction Score
Ty Harris could very well have an AA sophomore season after her performance at the u19 championships. She nearly had a 50/40/90 tournament and showed glimpses of how special she will be this season. With her as the floor general and Bianca cuevas-Moore as her running mate they will be tough not only defensively but offensively as well. I'm also expecting big improvements from Kiki Herbert Harrigan and Doniyah Cliney. Those two will be needed to provide depth at the Wing/ Forward positions. If our guard play balances out with our post play I wouldn't doubt another FF appearance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm casting my sentimental vote for the Missouri Tigers. They won't be taken lightly in the SEC.

1 Kelsey Winfrey 5-9 G Fr. Lebanon, Mo. / Lebanon
2 Jordan Roundtree 5-9 G So. St. Louis, Mo. / Kirkwood
3 Sophie Cunningham 6-1 G Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
4 Bri Porter 6-3 F R-Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
5 Lauren Aldridge 5-7 G R-Jr. Marshfield, Mo. / Marshfield Kansas
10 Nadia Green 5-10 G Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
12 Elle Brown 5-11 G Fr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
13 Hannah Schuchts 6-2 F R-So. Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay
20 Kayla McDowell 6-2 F R-Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio / Mason
21 Cierra Porter 6-4 F Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
22 Jordan Frericks 6-1 F R-Sr. Quincy, Ill. / Quincy Notre Dame
23 Amber Smith 5-11 G So. Shreveport, La. / Loyola College Prep
24 Jordan Chavis 5-7 G So. Lexington, N.C. / Central Davidson
34 Emmanuelle Tahane 6-1 F Fr. Bondy, France / Marcelin Berthelot
I like it when someone goes way out on a limb. Be careful out there. :cool:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Ty Harris could very well have an AA sophomore season after her performance at the u19 championships. She nearly had a 50/40/90 tournament and showed glimpses of how special she will be this season. With her as the floor general and Bianca cuevas-Moore as her running mate they will be tough not only defensively but offensively as well. I'm also expecting big improvements from Kiki Herbert Harrigan and Doniyah Cliney. Those two will be needed to provide depth at the Wing/ Forward positions. If our guard play balances out with our post play I wouldn't doubt another FF appearance.

No doubt in my mind Kiki will improve offensively. She already has the tools and we saw glimpses of it late last season. I'm still wait and see on Cliney though... which is odd because she was a great scorer in high school, especially off the bounce.. but hasn't really been that great of a scorer in college yet. If she improves attacking the basket it'll help filling the void that Davis/Gray left.. Cliney can rebound like Gray and she's similarly athletic like Davis.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I like it when someone goes way out on a limb. Be careful out there. :cool:

Not really out on a limb for me. Anybody that keeps a close eye on SEC WBB knows that Missouri will be one of the top 4 or 5 SEC teams this season... Cunningham will be 1st team All-SEC.. they return the ROY of the year in Amber Smith. Jordan Frericks returns and she will probably be all-conf and they get Cierra Porter back who will almost definitely be all-conf... they have talent and Pingeton is a good coach teaching a ball movement based offense..

People think the SEC will be SC/MissState/Tenn.. but Missouri will definitely have a lot to say about it. I'm just glad our game versus them will be in Columbia, South Carolina.... SC will definitely be looking for revenge after last year's upset and the fans will be there to welcome them.

Reaction Score

Ha, no. I have a higher expectation for TN than most on this board, but even I would not have had them in the top 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom