So who should the AAC add after the B12 poaching? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who should the AAC add after the B12 poaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd be down for Marshall. I'd like to see UMass get an invite. I know they're no good, but at least it'd give us a regional rival and games at Gillette.
Considering that Umass had 50% more wins than Uconn, and all 3 of their wins were against FBS level opponents, I would consider a re-phrase of the "they're no good". Perhaps, I know they about equal to Uconn, but...

I wish Uconn had the success with a first year head coach that is rebuilding a prior disaster. The record may have been close to Uconn's but they knew how to score points and you could see some direction and idea of what they want to be.

Reaction Score
The basketball of UMASS and Villanova would not be a drop off from Cincy and Memphis.

Excuse me? Umass hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in almost 20 years and they have been to the tourney ONCE since 1998. Not for nothing but that is a HUGE drop off from Cincy and Memphis.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You don't add anyone, but you establish a partnership with the Mountain West resulting in the interleague scheduling and the regular season champion of each league playing in a championship game, the winner nearly automatically gets included in the FBS bowls, especially when they expand the playoffs. At least boost the competition.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Not that I remotely give a crap but there's no reason to have an AAC championship game. Please, it's bad enough who is already in this conference.

Championship games bring in more money, what's wrong with that? These networks will pay so let's open our pockets.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Championship games bring in more money, what's wrong with that? These networks will pay so let's open our pockets.

We get $2m for our football, mens AND women's basketball. How much money, exactly, will we get for this second-rate championship game?

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic, the Big 12 will add Cincinnati and probably UCF because one of the cardinal rules of conference realignment is it has to hurt UConn as much as possible.

So if we make that assumption, who should the AAC try to bring in?

Are there programs that would want to join this conference, unstable and bad as it is? Kind of like jumping into a tour bus full of bums with BO going to look at landfills.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
If it's 5 bucks isn't that more than we had yesterday? these networks are stared for live action TV, take a look at what is on major sports networks on any Saturday.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Are there programs that would want to join this conference, unstable and bad as it is? Kind of like jumping into a tour bus full of bums with BO going to look at landfills.

If we had a commissioner who was active instead of reactive we would have a chance. Aresco fiddles while everyone else goes shopping, then he adds Tulsa. Tulsa!!!! Bad teams in a tiny TV market, great job buddy!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If 2 schools left the AAC (lets say Cincinnati and UCF), I agree with @whaler11 that Navy would back out and remain Independent. I also agree with the folks who are essentially saying "who gives a ?". The only reasons to have a CCG is to add another higher profile game to your conference champion's resume for higher bowl placement and for money. This conference isn't worth a 30 second infomercial that runs on CPTV at 2am. And the CCG winner won't have their bowl profile enhanced any by beating another crappy 7-8 win AAC team.

My vote would be to freeze this conference at 9 for the same reason the B12 is trying to freeze their membership at 10: protect resources. The pie is limited as it is and I don't want to share money with any other podunk garbage filler school. Split the exit fee money with the 9 members and enjoy the very small incremental jump in TV money until the deal runs out.

Seriously, it is getting to the point where non-P5 schools should just ditch conference affiliation altogether and adopt an "every school for themselves" mentality.

Reaction Score
Marshall? Southern Miss? Those are two schools who are a far distant 2nd and 3rd in their own states.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The league is not even good enough to get 2 teams poached. I am guessing Cincinnati and Boise St/Colorado St. get invites

Reaction Score
Ideally, Cincy and UCF would go to the B12 and UConn could use the buyout money to buy out Diaco. :)

UConn has almost 0% chance of landing in the B12. And after cincy and UCF leave, they have almost no reason to stay there, either.

Reaction Score
They'll end up adding Marshall and some other CUSA garbage. Navy shouldn't touch this mess with a ten foot clown pole.

Reaction Score
If 2 schools left the AAC (lets say Cincinnati and UCF), I agree with @whaler11 that Navy would back out and remain Independent. I also agree with the folks who are essentially saying "who gives a ?". The only reasons to have a CCG is to add another higher profile game to your conference champion's resume for higher bowl placement and for money. This conference isn't worth a 30 second infomercial that runs on CPTV at 2am. And the CCG winner won't have their bowl profile enhanced any by beating another crappy 7-8 win AAC team.

My vote would be to freeze this conference at 9 for the same reason the B12 is trying to freeze their membership at 10: protect resources. The pie is limited as it is and I don't want to share money with any other podunk garbage filler school. Split the exit fee money with the 9 members and enjoy the very small incremental jump in TV money until the deal runs out.

Seriously, it is getting to the point where non-P5 schools should just ditch conference affiliation altogether and adopt an "every school for themselves" mentality.

The teams most often mentioned are Cincinnati and Memphis. Granted, losing Cincy one of the best non P5 teams in football is a big loss, but other than this year Memphis has been terrible in football. 36-86 in 10 years prior to this. Memphis averaged 28,000 in attendance in 2013. Marshall averaged 25,023, La Lafayette, 26,000, Buffalo 22,000 and Army 33,000. If the conference added Marshall and UMASS it will be okay. I am not in favor of staying at 9. This TV contract will improve. I am sure the league has contingency plans. The losses of Memphis and Temple hurt as much if not more in basketball which increases the need for UCONN to have a strong non conference schedule. Don't forget the last two NCAA national champs came from the American. The American is 2-0 in National BBall championships!

Reaction Score
Who cares?

How much longer does UConn think we are gonna stick around when they make no case for itself to these other leagues, no effort or urgency to improve in football, and the league gets worse and worse and worse with each new team lost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The ESPN/AAC deal already includes a championship game starting next year so there is no increase.

If there is no championship game there will likely be a decrease

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The league is not even good enough to get 2 teams poached. I am guessing Cincinnati and Boise St/Colorado St. get invites
The road to the FF on the U with Millen seems to like Byu, Boise and Colo St, with Cincy a distant 4 or even5. No memphis. Yippee

Reaction Score
The road to the FF on the U with Millen seems to like Byu, Boise and Colo St, with Cincy a distant 4 or even5. No memphis. Yippee

It seems crazy to me that Cincy wouldn't be on the top of anyone's list. They're good at football and even bring a lot to the table basketball-wise as well. They seem like a no brainer. And if they don't go in this round of expansion, where do they go? They'd be as stuck as we are.

I always hoped the ACC would take us and Cincy at the same time. They've been a good conference-mate.

Reaction Score
The time to merge with the Mountain West is long over due. Even if it becomes a 20 team league let it happen.

If not that then add UMASS and Old Dominion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard on mad dog radio,Garry Danielson thinks it'll be Central Florida and Colorado St.
If Colorado State becomes a P5 program and we end up getting left out...

I hate Paul Pasqualoni so much.

Reaction Score
If Colorado State becomes a P5 program and we end up getting left out...

I hate Paul Pasqualoni so much.
At this point,nothing will surprise me.The Denver market and Florida market.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The New AAC Logo
Misfit-Toys.jpg

Reaction Score
So just wait for Navy and keep it at 10 teams? Man if you take out Cincy and either UCF or Memphis and add Navy you really have a bad, bad group of programs. Seems like we'd at least have to try to get someone else in.
We are a bad program...in fact we are the worst program in the AAC. Let's chew on that for a while. The Boneyard will often turn it's nose down at all of the other programs, because our basketball team is good. Wake up people, football drives the bus and we outright SUCK! In fact we are the suckiest team in a conference of sucky teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom