So who is our best player so far? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So who is our best player so far?

Reaction Score
When RJ Cole, Bouk and Andre all share time at the guard spots the next couple years ppl here saying CV is an all time great will be reminded what all time great UConn guards are supposed to look like.

I love CVs heart but he doesn’t even sniff the all time great list. When we start winning again you will see the difference, especially in clutch late game situations.

I can’t even fathom how ppl can watch him play and put him in that category.

I even believe Gaffney will be better than CV offensively once he gets cozy out there. He can do things physically already than CV can’t.

You heard it here first

Reaction Score
It kind of reminds me of my sophomore season in HS when my team sucked and the leading scorer was a senior but he always played on losing teams. I was coming off the bench and he was threatened by me so he challenged me to a one on one game and I beat him. Everyone was shocked bc he was “so amazing”.

By my senior year I wasn’t even the best player on my team but I played for a WINNING team a state tourney team that year and the whole team was full of better players than the one player who everyone thought was amazing my sophomore year.

He would have been coming off the bench if he played with that squad. That’s kind of the reality now. The good seniors are really not that good. Including CV. Gaffney Bouk AJ RJ cole. If those guys don’t leave for the NBA. By the time they are upperclassmen you guys will really see the difference in level of play

Reaction Score
When RJ Cole, Bouk and Andre all share time at the guard spots the next couple years ppl here saying CV is an all time great will be reminded what all time great UConn guards are supposed to look like.

I love CVs heart but he doesn’t even sniff the all time great list. When we start winning again you will see the difference, especially in clutch late game situations.

I even believe Gaffney will be better than CV offensively once he gets cozy out there. He can do things physically already than CV can’t.

You heard it here first
A bit premature don't you think. I can't even fathom how you would claim this when two of the three you mentioned haven't played a minute for UConn yet. Am I hopeful? Sure. Am I excited for what this line up will produce? Heck yeah. But slow your roll man.

Reaction Score
A bit premature don't you think. I can't even fathom how you would claim this when two of the three you mentioned haven't played a minute for UConn yet. Am I hopeful? Sure. Am I excited for what this line up will produce? Heck yeah. But slow your roll man.
I don’t disagree that I’m being premature. But I am very confident in Hurley’s eye for talent. I’m willing to be the one person who takes the mental leap of faith. Even if ppl on here give me crap for it.

I think I’m right about what these guys are going to do in the future. Real success is
Coming soon

Reaction Score
Also think about this way. CV has proven for 4 straight years that he can’t win games. Over and over again, he tries but he loses. Our freshman like Gaffney who some ppl here seem to already be discrediting, have 3 years to prove they can write a new script. Our best players right now, are either coming off the bench or are freshman and I’ll swear by that and bump this dang thread in 2 years for the naysayers

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So the box score doesn't matter, got it. He's the best all around complimentary player on the team. But far from the best so far. Too many of you get hard ons for Akok and Bouknight. Yes they're talented FRESHMEN, but they both have a long way to go.
Name a better player on the team and why they’re better than Akok.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He wouldn't have been on the '04 team, he might have been on the '11 or '14 team as a late spring signing if we needed an extra guard. He would've been lucky to be an 8th man on those teams.

Subba's post is lunacy. The idea he would've started on any of those teams is dumb enough on it's own but to say he would be an all-time great is just beyond.

He's an undersized high volume shooter, very good guard rebounder, with a shaky handle and poor decision-making who will have a losing record at UConn. It is what it is.
How do you define "lucky?"

I can't see how luck possibly applies to determining where someone figures on a basketball team. How do you mean?

Reaction Score
Name a better player on the team and why they’re better than Akok.
Christian Vital. He puts up numbers. At the end of the day, what wins you ball games? Potential and a 6 ppg scorer? Akok blocks shots. Vital steals quite a few a game. They play different positions. Vital is older, more experienced. He's the best player this team has. Akok can't break anyone down off the dribble. He weighs as much as a piece of paper. He's not going to back anyone down in the post and be a bully. He's got a ways to go. Defensively as a shot blocker he's been nationally great, without a doubt. But his offensive game is soooooo far from being developed. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. He doesn't even have an offensive instinct when he gets the ball in space. Most we've seen from him is put backs, alley oops, and fast break points. He's not a scorer. He's not yet. He's not the best player on his own team. He's 27% from 3 and 58% from the FT line. He's being out rebounded by a 6'2 guard, the best player on the team, Vital in almost the same number of minutes.

I also think you're missing the point of this thread. It is "who is the best player so far?" NOT "who will be the best player on the roster?".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He wouldn't have been on the '04 team, he might have been on the '11 or '14 team as a late spring signing if we needed an extra guard. He would've been lucky to be an 8th man on those teams.

Subba's post is lunacy. The idea he would've started on any of those teams is dumb enough on it's own but to say he would be an all-time great is just beyond.

He's an undersized high volume shooter, very good guard rebounder, with a shaky handle and poor decision-making who will have a losing record at UConn. It is what it is.

Eh. Think about the teams Craig Austrie played on and the role he was asked to play on those teams and compare it to the role that Vital has been asked to play the last couple years. Vital has been asked to carry a load he is not equipped for but neither were role players on vintage UConn teams.

As far as the losing record thing, I don't use that as a means by which to denigrate the kid, as many on here do. I see him as a kid who stuck it out through really hard times, maintained a good attitude, and has a tremendous amount of love for UConn. I was really hoping that he'd be rewarded with a post-season but that's not looking like it's in the cards, and for me that's the most disappointing aspect of the season. I feel for him. He stuck it out when most of the people who rip him on here would have turtled at the first sign of adversity.

Reaction Score
How do you define "lucky?"

I can't see how luck possibly applies to determining where someone figures on a basketball team. How do you mean?
Because he would be really fortunate to make it on those rosters and have a bench role. It's all hypothetical, my guess is he wouldn't have been recruited on those teams. Only way it happens is if we were desperate for an extra guard late in the spring. If it did happen, the third guy off the bench is the best he could expect IMO.

Reaction Score
Eh. Think about the teams Craig Austrie played on and the role he was asked to play on those teams and compare it to the role that Vital has been asked to play the last couple years. Vital has been asked to carry a load he is not equipped for but neither were role players on vintage UConn teams.

As far as the losing record thing, I don't use that as a means by which to denigrate the kid, as many on here do. I see him as a kid who stuck it out through really hard times, maintained a good attitude, and has a tremendous amount of love for UConn. I was really hoping that he'd be rewarded with a post-season but that's not looking like it's in the cards, and for me that's the most disappointing aspect of the season. I feel for him. He stuck it out when most of the people who rip him on here would have turtled at the first sign of adversity.
Austrie never would've played here either but was a late add because of unforseen circumstances making us super thin at guard, same reason Rob Garrison was given a scholarship.

I know Vital has been asked to play a role he never should've been asked to play. He was meant to be a bench player, not our first or second best player, it's a big reason why we've stunk for 4 straight years. Obviously not his fault but the overrating of his game by some boneyarders is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Christian Vital. He puts up numbers. At the end of the day, what wins you ball games? Potential and a 6 pig scorer? Akok blocks shots. Vital steals quite a few a game. They play different positions. Vital is older, more experienced. He's the best player this team has. Akok can't break anyone down off the dribble. He weighs as much as a piece of paper. He's not going to back anyone down in the post and be a bully. He's got a ways to go. Defensively as a shot blocker he's been nationally great, without a doubt. But his offensive game is soooooo far from being developed. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. He doesn't even have an offensive instinct when he gets the ball in space. Most we've seen from him is put backs, alley oops, and fast break points. He's not a scorer. He's not yet. He's not the best player on his own team. He's 27% from 3 and 58% from the FT line. He's being out rebounded by a 6'2 guard, the best player on the team, Vital in almost the same number of minutes.

I also think you're missing the point of this thread. It is "who is the best player so far?" NOT "who will be the best player on the roster?".

I like to define the “best player” using potential and as part of my metric. Obviously CV is right now but he is as good as he will ever be. And I don’t like to award that to a player who hasn’t won us ball games and when their are other players on the team who are likely going to win us games in the big east tournament next year. To me the best players on the team are the ones who will win us games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I reject the question. This team has no stars, they get the best results when they play team ball. When the players start taking shots based on RHIP in an attempt for stardom they fail. If I must answer I say it's a Time Magazine-type answer: Team Ball is the best player.

Reaction Score
I like to define the “best player” using potential and as part of my metric. Obviously CV is right now but he is as good as he will ever be. And I don’t like to award that to a player who hasn’t won us ball games and when their are other players on the team who are likely going to win us games in the big east tournament next year. To me the best players on the team are the ones who will win us games.
I still think you too have failed to read the thread title correctly, " Who is our best player so far?" What is so hard about that to understand? Potential and So far are two opposite things. You're speaking your opinion about the opposite of the thread discussion. It's a team sport. A TEAM SPORT. Big deal if Akok may be on winning teams down the road and Vital wasn't. There are so many variables involved there. Ollie lost the team. He basically lost entire recruiting classes. Hurley inherited a pretty lackluster bunch. Imagine Vital with Hurley for all 4 years. The kid could be way ahead of where he is now. Just look at Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score
I still think you too have failed to read the thread title correctly, " Who is our best player so far?" What is so hard about that to understand? Potential and So far are two opposite things. You're speaking your opinion about the opposite of the thread discussion. It's a team sport. A TEAM SPORT. Big deal if Akok may be on winning teams down the road and Vital wasn't. There are so many variables involved there. Ollie lost the team. He basically lost entire recruiting classes. Hurley inherited a pretty lackluster bunch. Imagine Vital with Hurley for all 4 years. The kid could be way ahead of where he is now. Just look at Jalen Adams.
Really nothing here I disagree with. I guess I just don’t agree with this thread at all. We really don’t have a best player bc the one who would be considered our best right now (CV) really shouldn’t be considering the fact that when he leaves and newbies replace him, we are going to get better. I just don’t like the crowning of a player who hasn’t taken us very far and has lost games for us down the stretch in clutch time. It’s a dumb thread that I prob shouldn’t have commented on but too late

Reaction Score
Really nothing here I disagree with. I guess I just don’t agree with this thread at all. We really don’t have a best player bc the one who would be considered our best right now (CV) really shouldn’t be considering the fact that when he leaves and newbies replace him, we are going to get better. I just don’t like the crowning of a player who hasn’t taken us very far and has lost games for us down the stretch in clutch time. It’s a dumb thread that I prob shouldn’t have commented on but too late
He didn't have the players around him. Again, ITS A TEAM GAME. One player with a mediocre roster isn't going to win at a high level. Just look to the past (Calhoun years) for examples. Every great guard had another piece. Every good big man had a compliment as well. Of course this team will get better as better recruits come into the program. Just look at the last 4 recruiting classes (minus the current freshmen). Enoch left, Durham and Jackson left, Diarra's career is over, Kwintin Williams JUCO, Carlton, Eric Cobb JUCO, Polley now injured, Brendan Adams. The best he played along side was Jalen Adams for a couple years. Gilbert has been injured most of his career unfortunately. He hasn't had any talent around him. Don't forget the max exodus when they lost 3 players in one off season which is crippling for a basketball team. Pair that with the tournament bans and lost scholarships. He's played his tail off for a short handed program for most of his time as a husky. He deserves better.

Reaction Score
AIYEGBUSI and its not even close. He's only missed 3 shots , total , all season . 0 turnovers

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Also think about this way. CV has proven for 4 straight years that he can’t win games. Over and over again, he tries but he loses. Our freshman like Gaffney who some ppl here seem to already be discrediting, have 3 years to prove they can write a new script. Our best players right now, are either coming off the bench or are freshman and I’ll swear by that and bump this dang thread in 2 years for the naysayers

Rational people don’t shoulder the blame for the team’s record on CV.

We get it. You are emotionally bothered by the past few years’ results. That doesn’t make you correct.

Reaction Score
And to think that our best players once went two, three in the NBA draft. Now the best player will have to learn a foreign language to find steady work.
And the one that went #2 just got cut from the G-league.

Reaction Score
He didn't have the players around him. Again, ITS A TEAM GAME. One player with a mediocre roster isn't going to win at a high level. Just look to the past (Calhoun years) for examples. Every great guard had another piece. Every good big man had a compliment as well. Of course this team will get better as better recruits come into the program. Just look at the last 4 recruiting classes (minus the current freshmen). Enoch left, Durham and Jackson left, Diarra's career is over, Kwintin Williams JUCO, Carlton, Eric Cobb JUCO, Polley now injured, Brendan Adams. The best he played along side was Jalen Adams for a couple years. Gilbert has been injured most of his career unfortunately. He hasn't had any talent around him. Don't forget the max exodus when they lost 3 players in one off season which is crippling for a basketball team. Pair that with the tournament bans and lost scholarships. He's played his tail off for a short handed program for most of his time as a husky. He deserves better.

You deserve what you create man.
So sick of ppl on here saying CV “deserves” something better.
If he was a better player he would get what he deserves. His play would translate to him taking over at the end of games and making big shots instead of missing them and turning the ball over. I mean how many games do you need to see him choke at the end to realize he’s not even close to being a Napier or a or Gordon or AJ Price or Taliek Brown or even a Boatright for that matter. All those guys have done something big for a program. And don’t use the he doesn’t have players around him excuse. If he did have those players around him he would not be starting!!! And he does have young talented players around him. Ones that are going to be better than him. And if he was a clutch leader like the other names I mentioned he would be able to set those guys up and help them offensively but he’s unable to do that bc he can’t break down a defender off the dribble. A skill that is extremely important for a 6’2” guard to be able to do. Unfortunately Vital needs to have his shot set up by other players in order for him to score. And so he is relying on Gilbert and other freshman to do so. He deserves exactly what he is. A mediocre player getting mediocre results as a senior. I mean what the hell man. I’m sick of all you emotional CV defending white knights on this forum. He’s not that good. For gods sake. If he was, we would be good and the close losses would be close wins.

Reaction Score
Rational people don’t shoulder the blame for the team’s record on CV.

We get it. You are emotionally bothered by the past few years’ results. That doesn’t make you correct.
Other than the coach the seniors have to take the most responsibility for the outcomes especially late game decision making which has been absolutely horrid by both Gilbert and CV. Napier Kemba and our past great guards would absolutely disagree with you on what you just said

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

You heard it here first
If what you say turns out to be so, then it'll be good for the program and good for you. But we're in the middle of the season, and that's not the question at hand. In that context, you are criticizing CV for not being better than he is, and you are demonstrating that you can't read well. If you could, you'd either offer who you think is the best player so far, or not participate in this thread.

Our current team's confidence is shaky. Be in the present. Support the the team you have for this season.

[CV] stuck it out when most of the people who rip him on here would have turtled at the first sign of adversity.

Actually, many have visited this thread multiple times to rip on CV (and those who have offered that he's the best player so far, as though itvs so horrifying to read that anyone who says so is delusional, stupid, or breathlessly oberrating), ignoring the specific title of the thread. When they do that, they exhibit a similar stubborn foolishness that they accuse CV of when he takes poor shots as the game winds down. As ever, they do this without anyone playing defense on them, and presumably without the excuse of youthful immaturity.

Because he would be really fortunate to make it on those rosters and have a bench role. It's all hypothetical, my guess is he wouldn't have been recruited on those teams. Only way it happens is if we were desperate for an extra guard late in the spring. If it did happen, the third guy off the bench is the best he could expect IMO.

Thanks for answering and giving clarity that you've meant "good fortune" but wrote "luck." They aren't the same. Would you rather have Vital or Terence Samuel? Vital or post-injury Omar? Just curious.

Btw, he was a late signing to fill out 'The Five," after devommitting from UNLV. Has he been better or worse than you thought he'd be?

I like to define the “best player” using potential and as part of my metric.

I'd like to define "Wins" by who I think should have won the game. That way, I'd be liking our 14-4 (or better) season in only year 2 of a rebuild.

... I guess I just don’t agree with this thread at all. We really don’t have a best player bc the one who would be considered our best right now (CV) really shouldn’t be considering the fact that when he leaves and newbies replace him, we are going to get better. I just don’t like the crowning of a player who hasn’t taken us very far and has lost games for us down the stretch in clutch time. It’s a dumb thread that I prob shouldn’t have commented on but too late

I appreciate this reconsideration. Now cheer for him and the team, and gloat in two years if you're right about our trajectory and later on feel the need.

Imagine what might have been written in this thread if its query was, "Who, so far, shows the highest BB IQ?"

PS - I cringe each time I me someone writes "BBQ," which is something I eat.

Reaction Score
You deserve what you create man.
So sick of ppl on here saying CV “deserves” something better.
If he was a better player he would get what he deserves. His play would translate to him taking over at the end of games and making big shots instead of missing them and turning the ball over. I mean how many games do you need to see him choke at the end to realize he’s not even close to being a Napier or a or Gordon or AJ Price or Taliek Brown or even a Boatright for that matter. All those guys have done something big for a program. And don’t use the he doesn’t have players around him excuse. If he did have those players around him he would not be starting!!! And he does have young talented players around him. Ones that are going to be better than him. And if he was a clutch leader like the other names I mentioned he would be able to set those guys up and help them offensively but he’s unable to do that bc he can’t break down a defender off the dribble. A skill that is extremely important for a 6’2” guard to be able to do. Unfortunately Vital needs to have his shot set up by other players in order for him to score. And so he is relying on Gilbert and other freshman to do so. He deserves exactly what he is. A mediocre player getting mediocre results as a senior. I mean what the hell man. I’m sick of all you emotional CV defending white knights on this forum. He’s not that good. For gods sake. If he was, we would be good and the close losses would be close wins.
Thanks for your interest in UConn basketball. Have a goodnight. I'm done here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Other than the coach the seniors have to take the most responsibility for the outcomes especially late game decision making which has been absolutely horrid by both Gilbert and CV. Napier Kemba and our past great guards would absolutely disagree with you on what you just said

If you’re upset that CV isn’t Napier or Kemba, that’s a problem with how your brain works, not CV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom