So what's next? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If there's no Big XII expansion and the Big XII dies - we're not going to be anywhere near the front of the line for expansion. Anywhere. The only thing I see if the B1G wanting NYC and snatching UConn up - but whatever... I'm not counting my chickens.
I agree. With Big12 over, there won't be any movement until Texas and OK move. When that happens, UConn will be down the list of schools as the remaining Big 12 desirables get taken first. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that this is what the Big 10, SEC and ACC are waiting for.

Reaction Score
What's next is we get to rate threads!
Unless UConn makes a statement by becoming a winning football team dareh I say even somewhat of a Boise type success we are doomed.
If we can do that we become much more attractive than many B12 schools , football success is the only possible positive outcome for our long term success.
I think the leaders at UConn understand that even if some on this board are stuck in the old contentment paridym.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. With Big12 over, there won't be any movement until Texas and OK move. When that happens, UConn will be down the list of schools as the remaining Big 12 desirables get taken first. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that this is what the Big 10, SEC and ACC are waiting for.

Maybe so. But Here are the schools I think each league would rate ahead of UConn.

ACC: Texas. Oklahoma.
B1G: Texas, Oklahoma. Kansas. ISU is a close call.
Pac: all of them, but Pac wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas maybe TCU. It would take TT if that meant getting UT.
SEC. all of them, but SEC wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, KU, K-State maybe TCU.

TT goes P5 only if linked to Texas.
Baylor is hosed.
ISU, OK State, TCU and K State are probably hosed.

There is no feeding frenzy ready to happen for those 7 schools.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

In a vacuum ISU vs. UConn is a tough call. But with Iowa in the conference, UConn would get the nod (provided AAU status can be achieved or overlooked) I would imagine.

Pac: all of them, but Pac wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas maybe TCU. It would take TT if that meant getting UT.

Disagree on TCU. No religious schools in Pac. That is the conference of the counter-culture. They have a school in that league with people living in trees. No chance they accept a conservative religious school.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In a vacuum ISU vs. UConn is a tough call. But with Iowa in the conference, UConn would get the nod (provided AAU status can be achieved or overlooked) I would imagine.
Probably..maybe. But I'm not willing to count on it. UConn way more valuable to the BTN.

Disagree on TCU. No religious schools in Pac. That is the conference of the counter-culture. They have a school in that league with people living in trees. No chance they accept a conservative religious school.
I said it was pretty iffy. Agree, but it's the strongest program.

Reaction Score
Maybe so. But Here are the schools I think each league would rate ahead of UConn.

SEC. all of them, but SEC wouldn't want anyone but: Texas, Oklahoma, OK State, KU, K-State maybe TCU.

Baylor is hosed.

WVU might be added to the ACC list.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Yes I tried to edit it, but time ran out. WVU is a maybe on ACC list, probably behind UConn, but who knows. It's a maybe for the SEC too. The B1G or Pac would never touch them under any circumstances.

Reaction Score

Baylor is hosed.

WVU?

And I agree with this assessment.

Reaction Score
Yea, NO!

I'm sorry, let me elaborate. Both the SEC and the ACC passed on WVU. Not all of the football schools in the ACC wanted WVU and none of the academic schools wanted WVU. Same with the SEC. Until WVU fans lose their reputation for rowdiness and thuggishness, WVU is not only a "No, but a Hell No!"

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, let me elaborate. Both the SEC and the ACC passed on WVU. Not all of the football schools in the ACC wanted WVU and none of the academic schools wanted WVU. Same with the SEC. Until WVU fans lose their reputation for rowdiness and thuggishness, WVU is not only a "No, but a Hell No!"

Since that happened, the ACC has added Louisville, who make WVU look like Princeton by comparison...or at least like Pitt or something that doesn't make you want to heave.

SEC can afford to be picky.

Reaction Score
Unless UConn makes a statement by becoming a winning football team dareh I say even somewhat of a Boise type success we are doomed.
If we can do that we become much more attractive than many B12 schools , football success is the only possible positive outcome for our long term success.
I think the leaders at UConn understand that even if some on this board are stuck in the old contentment paridym.

Beat SinCGnatty (gotta start somewhere)

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if most of the AAC, and MWC for that matter, are in the same boat as we are when it comes to T3. They are looking at BYU and Boise's separate deals, and figure that they all have local markets and should be able to do the same. Once they control it, they can always sell it nationally if they happen to have a good season.

The traditional conference model is breaking down. Conferences exist for two reasons: 1) to provide a schedule, and 2) to sell media rights. The first reason is easily solvable with a little cooperation among schools, and the second is only relevant if the market thinks the media rights are more valuable at the conference level than they are at the school level. I would argue that we have the answer on #2, and it is that the media rights are more valuable at the school level. The mid-major conferences do not have a lot of national appeal, so their media rights don't have a lot of value to national networks. Why even have traditional conferences, especially for football?

To better monetize the T1+T2 and T3 while cutting costs, we need a schedule that is more relevant for a mid-major program like UConn. We need games that are more attractive locally (think more regional rivalries) plus better national content. We need less Tulane and Tulsa on the schedule, and I suspect they would be happy to have less of us.

Unfortunately, this is why Benedict was hired

Reaction Score
Since that happened, the ACC has added Louisville, who make WVU look like Princeton by comparison...or at least like Pitt or something that doesn't make you want to heave.

SEC can afford to be picky.

Assuming that was true, which is debatable; the ACC is not going to invite WVU. Many members of the ACC have had bad experiences with the WVU Faithful. And as I've said before, the ACC is a sports conference. The ACC does not have a research consortium like the B1G. The ACC does have an academic consortium, but that is geared towards undergraduate education, not collective scientific research. If and when that happens in the ACC, then academics may become a more prominent factor in the decision making process for new ACC members, but even then, UL will still be a member of the ACC and WVU can, well, need I say more?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is the loose concept of an idea I posted about 5 months ago. Let's start with the AAC and MWC. Split it into 6 pods instead of 4 divisions.

Southeast: USF, UCF, ECU, Memphis
Southwest: Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU
Northeast: UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincinnati

Pacific: Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU
Mountain: Nevada, UNLV, Boise, Utah State
High Plains: New Mexico, Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force

Play own pod every year. Play 1 team from other adjacent pod every year. Then set up tiers for the entire grouping, and play similar strata teams for 2 or 3 games every year. Or just play own pod plus 4 strata games. This works better if BYU, Army and UMass are in it, but I don't want to burn a lot of brain cells on the pods, just want to talk about the idea.

So let's say UConn is good (Diaco learns what that thing with numbers that is counting down is for), UConn's schedule could be:

Pod: Temple, Navy, Cincinnati - these become our rivalry games
SMU
USF
Strata Games: BYU, Houston, SDSU
4 OOC

If UConn was not as good, those strata games may be ECU, Colorado State and Nevada. In that case, we are no worse off than we are now.

You could even leave the last two dates of the season open for each team, 1 home, 1 away, that would be filled with the strata matchups once they were set, say 11/1 every season.

If you take this scheduling philosophy, you could theoretically pull in all the G5 conferences. Unless UConn sucked, it would never play a Sun Belt school, but if a Sun Belt school had a monster year, it could provide a good late season matchup of two teams receiving votes or maybe even ranked. This would also provide a Top 15 G5 school a way to get a late season win over a ranked opponent, and give them a better chance at a playoff bid.

This combined affiliation would sell maybe 6 games per team as Tier 1 and Tier 2 content, and leave half the schedule to the individual schools to sell on their own.

Reaction Score

Only if they don't count the votes of the Universities with real academic credentials. i.e. Another Louisville.

Reaction Score
Here is the loose concept of an idea I posted about 5 months ago. Let's start with the AAC and MWC. Split it into 6 pods instead of 4 divisions.

Southeast: USF, UCF, ECU, Memphis
Southwest: Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU
Northeast: UConn, Temple, Navy, Cincinnati

Pacific: Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU
Mountain: Nevada, UNLV, Boise, Utah State
High Plains: New Mexico, Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force

Play own pod every year. Play 1 team from other adjacent pod every year. Then set up tiers for the entire grouping, and play similar strata teams for 2 or 3 games every year. Or just play own pod plus 4 strata games. This works better if BYU, Army and UMass are in it, but I don't want to burn a lot of brain cells on the pods, just want to talk about the idea.

So let's say UConn is good (Diaco learns what that thing with numbers that is counting down is for), UConn's schedule could be:

Pod: Temple, Navy, Cincinnati - these become our rivalry games
SMU
USF
Strata Games: BYU, Houston, SDSU
4 OOC

If UConn was not as good, those strata games may be ECU, Colorado State and Nevada. In that case, we are no worse off than we are now.

You could even leave the last two dates of the season open for each team, 1 home, 1 away, that would be filled with the strata matchups once they were set, say 11/1 every season.

If you take this scheduling philosophy, you could theoretically pull in all the G5 conferences. Unless UConn sucked, it would never play a Sun Belt school, but if a Sun Belt school had a monster year, it could provide a good late season matchup of two teams receiving votes or maybe even ranked. This would also provide a Top 15 G5 school a way to get a late season win over a ranked opponent, and give them a better chance at a playoff bid.

This combined affiliation would sell maybe 6 games per team as Tier 1 and Tier 2 content, and leave half the schedule to the individual schools to sell on their own.

I hate when you do this.

What is missing - for the UConn fan - is we want to play basketball at the highest level. Inclusion of even more schools that have no prayer in playing hoop at our level discourages me going forward. If Iowa State & Baylor & Jamie Dixon TCU are in, then we start to feel like we have a decent hybrid that can keep us near the highest levels - no Football Powerhouse - category.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hate when you do this.

What is missing - for the UConn fan - is we want to play basketball at the highest level. Inclusion of even more schools that have no prayer in playing hoop at our level discourages me going forward. If Iowa State & Baylor & Jamie Dixon TCU are in, then we start to feel like we have a decent hybrid that can keep us near the highest levels - no Football Powerhouse - category.

What does basketball have to do with my proposal? I would put UConn in the Big East. Why pine for the Big 12 or some other P5 when those leagues are never inviting us. We need to solve our football program in a way that helps the other schools too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What does basketball have to do with my proposal? I would put UConn in the Big East. Why pine for the Big 12 or some other P5 when those leagues are never inviting us. We need to solve our football program in a way that helps the other schools too.

There is no possibility of a big football only conference. It can't happen. It won't happen. As an all sports league this league would blow. Stop it, please.

Reaction Score
When your talking survival
which every G5 school is: you might just have to step out of the box

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no possibility of a big football only conference. It can't happen. It won't happen. As an all sports league this league would blow. Stop it, please.

It would suck as an all sports conference, which is why it won't work.

The AAC has virtually no chance of survival in its current form. If you have a better idea, I am all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom