So What's Been The Oddest Statement On The Boneyard This Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So What's Been The Oddest Statement On The Boneyard This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Quite frankly, it was requested that I do a few briefs or breakdowns of this year's UConn team..."

Reaction Score
Where does stuff like this even come from?

A team that goes 1-5 against bowl teams... noting that other teams just might have better players isn't wallowing in anything. It's just really not being completely insane.

Wasn't directed at you. I get the analysis side of it, but the conspiracy theories with the coaching.....that stuff not so much.

Reaction Score
Not sure who you're referencing here Pudge. I never called this a bad football team. Just the opposite. And there's a huge difference between saying coaches "planned to lose" and saying coaches "planned not to lose". But within a contentious thread it might be good to identify the people you are calling out.

ummm ...

It definitely was NOT you. I think it was at least 3 others.

Reaction Score
"It's more than just measurables on the field."

Translation: I wouldn't be able to tailgate and be buddy-buddy with the players' parents if we switched rosters.

You know ...

This one was over the line. I could care less who tailgates with who and what motivates some of these posts. It is interesting that we actually have people that know parents of players (and I have known a few), why would we want to rag on them?

My post - a long time ago - is we shouldn't be dumping on certain posters and ganging up. Specifically ... we have lost some of the older and early posters in the last 3 years and I think one of the reasons is that some people get into pummeling when they think they can. (not directed at this post)

Reaction Score
You know ...

This one was over the line. I could care less who tailgates with who and what motivates some of these posts. It is interesting that we actually have people that know parents of players (and I have known a few), why would we want to rag on them?

My post - a long time ago - is we shouldn't be dumping on certain posters and ganging up. Specifically ... we have lost some of the older and early posters in the last 3 years and I think one of the reasons is that some people get into pummeling when they think they can. (not directed at this post)

You are really something else. Back on the idiotic notion that posters like whaler, myself, and others are what drove away posters. Couldn't have been the losing and CR hits we've endured the last 5 years.

Your buddy started this thread. Blame him. What you see as bullying, others (including Nos by the way) see it as spirited back and forth. FWIW, I think it's great that Nos and others befriend the families of the kids on the team. It's great that they have a play to go and mingle with fans and other families. I'm sure the families appreciate it. My only point of contention is that it makes him completely biased in his analysis of the team.

Nobody has really said this is a bad football team. The people you refer to without naming names (wink wink) have been mostly supportive of Diaco and the progress we've made on the field. This is a Pudge fantasy.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You think this proves anything? We simply played the teams that were on our schedule, beat the conference champion and suffered several unecceesary losses due to play calling gaffes and horrid offensive game plans. I'll give you Cincy and Navy, not the others. So go ahead and enjoy staying as negative as you want about the Huskies talent. I'm not getting into that ditch with you.
No fair competing for this award when the nominations are already closed.

Reaction Score
You are really something else. Back on the idiotic notion that posters like whaler, myself, and others are what drove away posters. Couldn't have been the losing and CR hits we've endured the last 5 years.

Your buddy started this thread. Blame him. What you see as bullying, others (including Nos by the way) see it as spirited back and forth. FWIW, I think it's great that Nos and others befriend the families of the kids on the team. It's great that they have a play to go and mingle with fans and other families. I'm sure the families appreciate it. My only point of contention is that it makes him completely biased in his analysis of the team.

Nobody has really said this is a bad football team. The people you refer to without naming names (wink wink) have been mostly supportive of Diaco and the progress we've made on the field. This is a Pudge fantasy.

I love when you JUMP into something that was no name with all your bluster. And, it wasn't directed in any form at you ...

I have read this board like I read few things; and I have grimaced over the description which has arisen several times this year ... "bad" football team. I am with the "Bill Parcells" school - You are what your record says you are. We are a 6-6 Bowl Bound Team that played an unusual amount of Sophomores and Frosh.

I am older and not everyone older is my buddy. It is not a fantasy that some of you are excessively into hurling negative invective.

Reaction Score
I do believe it. I believed Nick Williams was an underused slot receiver. I believed Ryan Griffin should have started over John Delahunt. That Marcus Easly had talent. That Byron Jones was not given the credit deserved here --when he was healthy. I recall folks here saying Nick W couldn't play in the NFL. I disagreed and was called a troller then. Here's my take. We have lots of talented players on this team. The fact that you and a few others don't want to recognize that is your problem not mine.

When you're right, you're right.

The talent has been here. The leadership has not. And I always believed they deserved better than Edsall. If we had to step backwards to get it, so much better in the long run.

Reaction Score

The talent has been here. The leadership has not. And I always believed they deserved better than Edsall. If we had to step backwards to get it, so much better in the long run.

It's an interesting story. The Rivals/Scout rankings are poor evaluations of some specific regions (NE and NY for sure) and, then, specific skillsets. Ryan Griffin was a NH RB in Londonderry. Like Danny Murray (a hoop player) and Steve Brouse (a lineman basically), you can see talent come into this program; yet, UConn is consistently judged the low level it is. We aren't at practice. We have to believe the Edsall/PP/Diaco knows what they are seeing and know how to develop. One of the most fascinating part of being a UConn football fan is to see a 4/5 year arc and then success beyond College. Our secondary has been repeatedly rising over our FBS years. Kids with little notoriety getting drafted and playing for money. It has happened in basically 5 generations of players since 2003.

Reaction Score

We have had high-level FBS QBs? Please, name them.

We have historically had a lot of GREAT defensive players, a hand full of talented players on offense, with huge holes at the QB spot and more recently with OL play.

I love our guys - but it is really frustrating when we extrapolate having one or two NFL caliber players on offense and expect that it is enough to be a 10 win team.

Individual talent does not equal team success, unless you have enough of it in the right places.

Reaction Score
Level of sacrifice? I don't think you have any understanding of the fan-player dynamic. Which makes sense given how your behavior indicates you've completely blurred the line. I watch all the games that are on my cable package on TV, and when I'm not at school I've recently begun putting some of my money into going to the games themselves. I post supportive messages on social media in an effort to get many of my old classmates/friends who attend UConn more aware of the football program and the need to support it. For a fan in my living and financial situation, I don't think there's a hell of a lot more I could be doing...bottom line, I'm not doing any of that because I feel I owe the players any sacrifice. I'm doing it because I enjoy it and I get gratification from being a fan of the program. And the players don't owe me anything either. I know damn well I'm putting my money and time into an entity that involves young athletes who aren't fully developed physically or emotionally. Before you get your undies in a wad, that's not a dig on the players; virtually every student-athlete will be leaving with a stronger body and a better head on their shoulders than the ones they came in with. But bottom line, I don't have any expectation of "owing" or "sacrifice".

It may not matter to you but I like your response.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I feel like reading your posts is a lot of sacrifice. Don't worry Pudge.. that's a joke.

Pencilneck has turned into a pretty good poster. Next year CHB is taking him to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Nostical saying that BS threw interceptions because the coaches didn't tell him not to throw into double coverage is still my favorite.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Just to be clear, I don't begrudge your status as a friend of the families at all. This is one of the first times when Jimmy Serrano has said exactly what's on my mind.

FWIW, I think it's great that Nos and others befriend the families of the kids on the team. It's great that they have a play to go and mingle with fans and other families. I'm sure the families appreciate it. My only point of contention is that it makes him completely biased in his analysis of the team.

You may find your opinions to be perfectly unprejudiced and wholly based on factual information. I (and others) may not. I guess all we can do is agree to disagree.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Actually, he inherited a team on the rise. A team that had won it's last three games under T.J. Weist. He inherited an offense that averaged 33+ points a game in those last three contests and had just set an offensive record in its season closer.

I'm not saying this was a team that could compete for a championship in year one. But it was a solid squad with a star receiver and a decent defense.

Diaco decided his time was better spent repainting the Burton and changing diets rather than worrying about wins. He spent his time on culture. He refused to look at tape of his players saying he wanted to form his own opinion. His priorities were playing a lot guys and using the season to evaluate his team.

This was his choice. It resulted in a 2-10 season. That was the disaster. Now, as he tries to pull the team out of hole mostly of his own making, people point to 2013 and say the cupboard was bare. Diaco inherited all his problems.

I'm of an opposite mind. I think the 2013 team showed amazing character. They were in disarray in the middle of the season. They had lost a coach. They were on a bad losing streak. Yet somehow they stuck together. Got it changed. And ended the season on a high note. That is the team that Diaco inherited.

And that is the story many on the Boneyard have either forgotten or chose to ignore.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just remembered this one. Has to be top 5

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just remembered this one. Has to be top 5

Had me confused for a minute; I thought you were recycling that argument...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was the post after UConn won the game and all the posters on this board were complimentary of the game plan, player execution and stadium atmosphere.

And then we all got ice cream.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There was the post after UConn won the game and all the posters on this board were complimentary of the game plan, player execution and stadium atmosphere.

And then we all got ice cream.
No there wasn't. Was there?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yes. The opposite of a complete disaster thread. Classic.
I'm still not clear on whether 'the opposite of a complete disaster' is an incomplete disaster or a complete success... Given that the metric was 3-9, I'd go with the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom