So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class> | The Boneyard

So What is the Recruiting Strategy for the 2020 Recruiting Class>

Reaction Score
I'm not going to start with the I told you so's even though I spent months suffering the slings and arrows of the UConn cognoscenti as they derided my pleas for additional 2019 recruiting offers ...................let's just say that I hope Geno and Co will cast a somewhat wider net for this ultra important 2020 class..................next year's team will be short in stature and short on players.............they'll still be a good and competitive team but I wouldn't expect them to win the championship...........many of us know the big names in the 2020 class............Bueckers, Van Lith, Clark, Andrews, Kapinus, Marshall, Daniels, Gusters.............each and every one of these players will get multiple offers from most of the big programs.............I really am curious how Geno will handle these recruits...............in the meantime, I'm going to be looking at some of the other "lesser" ranked players that still may offer UConn some great value in the days to come

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This UConn cognoscenti, who admittedly threw most of those arrows you mentioned, still does not think more offers is the right answer. The right answer will be arrived at by taking stock of what when wrong-in time. The temperature right now is way too heated, enough for us to make additional mistakes.
What is it that you think went wrong?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Strategy? Go after all of em. Get as many as we can.

that's a lot trickier then it sounds..............you can't alienate the ones you really want by making offers willy nilly but on the other hand UConn needs a minimum of four players.............they are in a tough spot..........

Reaction Score
Look, if you predicted Boston and/or Jones to UConn, just admit you made a mistake and you aren't quite the UConn insider you thought you were. Too many know it alls on this board. One who has since disappeared since making bold promises. Time to move on and focus on a big haul in 2020 and 2021.

Reaction Score
This UConn cognoscenti, who admittedly threw most of those arrows you mentioned, still does not think more offers is the right answer. The right answer will be arrived at by taking stock of what when wrong-in time. The temperature right now is way too heated, enough for for us to make additional mistakes.
What is it that you think went wrong?

first I do wonder if the loss of Moseley and Shea not being on the road hurt UConn's recruiting efforts a bit this summer.........

Horston - a bit of a wild card........didn't establish a relationship early enough (understandable)...........not a great fit with UConn culture

Jones - the lure of playing at home for a great basketball program and a better school was just too much to overcome......(same goes for Brink)

Boston - a complete mystery to me............everything was in place.....thus my concerns when she didn't commit earlier.............

and I see the same issues with some of the 2020 class (PB, Hailey Van Lith) so for UConn to only recruit 4-5 players will likely lead to a similar outcome.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look, if you predicted Boston and/or Jones to UConn, just admit you made a mistake and you aren't quite the UConn insider you thought you were. Too many know it alls on this board. One who has since disappeared since making bold promises. Time to move on and focus on a big haul in 2020 and 2021.
1543440997676.png

Reaction Score
first I do wonder if the loss of Moseley and Shea not being on the road hurt UConn's recruiting efforts a bit this summer....

Horston - a bit of a wild card...didn't establish a relationship early enough (understandable)......not a great fit with UConn culture

Jones - the lure of playing at home for a great basketball program and a better school was just too much to overcome.(same goes for Brink)

Boston - a complete mystery to me..everything was in place.....thus my concerns when she didn't commit earlier...

and I see the same issues with some of the 2020 class (PB, Hailey Van Lith) so for UConn to only recruit 4-5 players will likely lead to a similar outcome....

I was really wondering about the loss of Marisa Moseley, too. Big fall-off in recruiting right after she takes off for Boston.

Reaction Score
first I do wonder if the loss of Moseley and Shea not being on the road hurt UConn's recruiting efforts a bit this summer....

Horston - a bit of a wild card...didn't establish a relationship early enough (understandable)......not a great fit with UConn culture

Jones - the lure of playing at home for a great basketball program and a better school was just too much to overcome.(same goes for Brink)

Boston - a complete mystery to me..everything was in place.....thus my concerns when she didn't commit earlier...

and I see the same issues with some of the 2020 class (PB, Hailey Van Lith) so for UConn to only recruit 4-5 players will likely lead to a similar outcome....

I was really wondering about the loss of Marisa Moseley, too. Big fall-off in recruiting right after she takes off for Boston.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fair enough:
I think we misread and overreacted to the relationship among teanagers. Overreacted in the sense that we are treating 3 different recruiting classes as not only one class but also as if there is a single player that will convince ALL (or most) of the others to come play with them. ND kind off started it with the recruiting Palooza event out there but UCONN having Azi and Paige sit in on Haley's and Aliyah's official visit was a bad idea in hindsight. To be totally transparent I was very happy when this happened but I'm learning.
I think each recruiting visit should be individual and special because ultimately you are making an individual decision.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Crystal will have graduated by the time that the 2020 class arrives on campus, and Coombs will be a senior. So, that situation should be attractive to the high quality point guards UConn is recruiting. But, they will have many other choices and we will all probably be wringing our hands over them around this time next year. Can`t wait. :rolleyes:

As always it seems, UConn also needs size.

By my count, we will have 6 players on the roster for the 2020-2021 season. Coombs, Gordon, Walker, Williams, Ododa, and Griffin. So, the program really has no choice but to dig deeper just to fill out the roster.

So, maybe follow a dumbbell approach of recruiting at the top but also some Irwin/Bent types at the lower end of the spectrum.

OK, maybe "dumbbell" is a poor choice of words. :confused:

Reaction Score
Crystal will have graduated by the time that the 2020 class arrives on campus, and Coombs will be a senior. So, that situation should be attractive to the high quality point guards UConn is recruiting. But, they will have many other choices and we will all probably be wringing our hands over them around this time next year. Can`t wait. :rolleyes:

As always it seems, UConn also needs size.

By my count, we will have 6 players on the roster for the 2020-2021 season. Coombs, Gordon, Walker, Williams, Ododa, and Griffin. So, the program really has no choice but to dig deeper just to fill out the roster.

So, maybe follow a dumbbell approach of recruiting at the top but also some Irwin/Bent types at the lower end of the spectrum.

OK, maybe "dumbbell" is a poor choice of words. :confused:

as Notre Dame, MD, Miss St and other programs have proven, you don't need every player to be a top ten recruit............there's nothing wrong with a skilled second tier player (30 -100) that has some of the skills and the mind set that UConn is looking for.....for example ND has been playing Abby Prohaska due to injuries and she was ESPN #73..............Taylor Mikesell is playing well at Maryland and she was rated #33.............and I won't even go into Dara Mabrey who wasn't even rated in the ESPN 100..........bottom line.......yes fight for the top kids but don't forget that there are talented recruits a bit farther down the line that may provide a bit of insurance when things don't work out as planned........focus on a couple of the best of them and make an offer..........

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think that I will leave it up to Geno and his staff. I don't think a single BYer has any input on the recruiting process but I do enjoy reading the hundreds of threads and posts telling the rest of us who is being recuited and how every single one of them is UConn bound, right up until announcement day and 99% of the posters are shocked when a player goes someplace else.
BTW, if you do happen to have noticed any of my posts in any recruit thread, I usually am saying that the recruit is not coming to UConn, I think that the odds are in my favor 99% of the time. Enjoy.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The recruiting strategy will be same as it's been for many many years. Don't expect Geno and CD to change their approach this late in their careers. They would rather have a harder path with kids they consider "UCONN" type kids than go outside the mold.

Reaction Score
Geno is going to enjoy this. He will now have the opportunity to really coach for the first time in a long while. Won’t be able to rely on pure skills.

Needless to say kiss those undefeated seasons goodbye for 3-4 years.

Also UCONN might want to think about articulating either a Geno succession plan or getting him to affirm commitment for the next X years. I think that other coaches may be using his age as a recruiting lever and it might be working.

Reaction Score
Fair enough:
I think we misread and overreacted to the relationship among teanagers. Overreacted in the sense that we are treating 3 different recruiting classes as not only one class but also as if there is a single player that will convince ALL (or most) of the others to come play with them. ND kind off started it with the recruiting Palooza event out there but UCONN having Azi and Paige sit in on Haley's and Aliyah's official visit was a bad idea in hindsight. To be totally transparent I was very happy when this happened but I'm learning.
I think each recruiting visit should be individual and special because ultimately you are making an individual decision.
Coco, do you have any idea if the "sit in" was UConn's idea or if it was the kid's idea and UConn just went along with it? I haven't been able to figure out why they were there, especially since it appears to me that Jones may have had her mind set for Stanford for awhile.

Reaction Score
The recruiting strategy will be same as it's been for many many years. Don't expect Geno and CD to change their approach this late in their careers. They would rather have a harder path with kids they consider "UCONN" type kids than go outside the mold.

do you really think that ND or Stanford recruit a bunch of unskilled, unintelligent slackers? If they include recruits not in the upper echelon on occasion I think UConn might also be able to.........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is going to enjoy this. He will now have the opportunity to really coach for the first time in a long while.
I had no idea Geno had so much talent these past few seasons that he was just rolling out the balls and letting the kids play. I mistakenly believed he was coaching his ass off. Who would’ve guessed. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Geno is going to enjoy this. He will now have the opportunity to really coach for the first time in a long while. Won’t be able to rely on pure skills.

Needless to say kiss those undefeated seasons goodbye for 3-4 years.

Also UCONN might want to think about articulating either a Geno succession plan or getting him to affirm commitment for the next X years. I think that other coaches may be using his age as a recruiting lever and it might be working.

didn't seem to effect Tara's recruiting and she's 65................

Reaction Score
do you really think that ND or Stanford recruit a bunch of unskilled, unintelligent slackers? If they include recruits not in the upper echelon on occasion I think UConn might also be able to....

Look at what Uconn has on the bench, I thought Uconn is already doing that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think it may be time for Geno to do what I have been urging him to do for about fifteen years now and look seriously into signing Ivana Stepovaya. Granted that she is a bit long in the tooth, but she would add rebounding and take up a lot of space in the middle. And think what a drawing card a 7 foot plus Russian (Ukranian?) of indeterminate age would be, win, lose or draw! Her grey hair and mustache would cause a media orgy! (She might even make the cover of the Rolling Stone, or be the Time person of the year). And she would have four full years of eligibility. Whaddya think?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Fair enough:
I think we misread and overreacted to the relationship among teanagers. Overreacted in the sense that we are treating 3 different recruiting classes as not only one class but also as if there is a single player that will convince ALL (or most) of the others to come play with them. ND kind off started it with the recruiting Palooza event out there

Ironically, no player from "recruitapalooza" has committed elsewhere yet and two people from that gathering have since committed to Notre Dame (Brunelle & Campbell).

With Bueckers, Clark, Marshall, Parrish, Burke, and Watson coming up in the class of 2020, it will be interesting to see exactly how much fruit that gathering bears for ND.

But yes...it turns out those jokes among the U17 starting 5 that they might all go to the same school were just that...jokes...even though for a moment I seriously thought (read: feared) that it might really happen.

Reaction Score
Geno is set in his ways and I don’t see that changing soon. Have to focus on getting a PG and bigs, so that means Van Lith, Andrews, Kapinus, Daniels, and Gusters.

Marshall is all in with ND, if she goes anywhere else I would be surprised (based upon what have been discusssed on this board). Although I would like to see Paige go to UConn, I think she will follow in the footsteps of Whalen and stay home, and give Minnesota a few glory years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom