So what does an all Independent schedule look like? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So what does an all Independent schedule look like?

TKs

Reaction Score
If all conference's go to Conference only schedule's & Indy's are left out to dry, maybe they do a 16 day semi bubble. BYU, Liberty & NM State each stay near 1 of Army, UConn & Umass. BYU, Liberty & NM St play @ all 3 locals. These teams would only leave there Home base 2X for 2 bus ride games. Try to make the 3rd games a Thursday or Friday made for TV triple header. UConn could also stay somewhere between BYU & NM St for 8/9 days and play both places. 2nd leg could be @BYU Thursday or Friday night on ESPN. We add Home & Home w/ Army & Umass and there's 9 games w/ minimal travel.

Last edited:

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
College football is not happening this year. It is too risky for the athletes and their families. What happens when a student athlete dies of COVID? We need a vaccine and /or effective treatment before contact sports come back.

Reaction Score
Football and basketball are probably pushed into the spring.

Reaction Score
I know playing spring football is the "sexy" last option. I just don't see schools going up against their basketball programs in many cases. TV conflicts abound. If the season ends in the spring, how is spring football possible, which means incoming freshman are way behind. It is a nice thought, but not at all very practical.

Reaction Score
If all conference's go to Conference only schedule's & Indy's are left out to dry, maybe they do a 16 day semi bubble. BYU, Liberty & NM State each stay near 1 of Army, UConn & Umass. BYU, Liberty & NM St play @ all 3 locals. These teams would only leave there Home base 2X for 2 bus ride games. Try to make the 3rd games a Thursday or Friday made for TV triple header. UConn could also stay somewhere between BYU & NM St for 8/9 days and play both places. 2nd leg could be @BYU Thursday or Friday night on ESPN. We add Home & Home w/ Army & Umass and there's 9 games w/ minimal travel.

This makes sense as think about it, classes will be online so it doesn't matter where you are when you take them. Just my $.02

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
I think we’ll see Spring football. The money is too hard to pass up. The practicality of it won’t matter when the money is considered. Just like people need to get back to work and earn money, athletic departments need to get back to earning as well.

The only way basketball and football aren’t played at all is if a second wave does them in down the road. For now, plans to play beginning in December/January or later seem like a no brainer.

Reaction Score

>>Moccia said he’s had at least one recent Zoom conversation with the athletic directors at Army, BYU, UConn, UMass and Liberty about playing an independent-heavy schedule. This idea had been brought up previously in April, according to CBS Sports. Notre Dame, another independent, is expected to have an ACC-heavy schedule in 2020, leaning on the school’s partnership with the ACC in other sports to provide a safe harbor.

“I wouldn’t say it was a heavy conversation,” Moccia said. “It wasn’t full of planning. But it was to get everybody on the same page and say, ‘Hey, we’re all pragmatic and have to look at every single possibility. If all of us are out games, would we consider playing each other so we can have a schedule like everyone else?’ The thought was that nobody is taking anything off the table.”<>

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If P5 go Conference games only... Temple might be a good option.

Boy we are going to push this aren't we? Going to the limit. Maybe this entire fiasco will inch all the way to week 1 and then the plug is pulled. We'll see. In the mean time I guess in about two weeks AD David Benedict will have to start burning up the phone crafting a rescheduling plan. The horse trading could be epic and likely, in the end all for not.

If there somehow is a season it feels like it will be slimmed to 10 games to enhance flexibility/recovery.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That seemingly answers that question:

>The University of Maine, in consultation with the America East Conference and the Colonial Athletic Association, has made the difficult but necessary decision to postpone participation in the fall 2020 sports season. This decision affects the sports of football, field hockey, soccer and cross country.<

Reaction Score
There goes another game vs Maine this fall. Going to be a tough row to how as an independent going forward.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This might be one thing I agree with Emmert on. Big-time football operates outside the NCAA, why can't they come up with something on their own? The problem is the P5 conferences spends all their time working against the other conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know playing spring football is the "sexy" last option. I just don't see schools going up against their basketball programs in many cases. TV conflicts abound. If the season ends in the spring, how is spring football possible, which means incoming freshman are way behind. It is a nice thought, but not at all very practical.
basketball is an afterthought for many P5 schools, I don't see any potential scheduling/tv conflicts being a huge speed bump.

Reaction Score
Another whack coming?

>> Citing the rise of positive COVID-19 cases among young people in the state, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Tuesday sent a letter to the leadership of the University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University strongly urging both to suspend contact sports this fall, including football and soccer.

In the letter reviewed Tuesday by the Journal, Lujan Grisham, who earlier this month ordered the New Mexico Activities Association to postpone all fall contact sports at the high school level until 2021, is now urging the governor-appointed regents and university leadership at UNM and NMSU to take similar steps. The letter states it is “critical that you postpone collegiate athletics in this moment of escalating danger,” saying there is potential they could be resumed in late 2020 or early 2021.<<

Reaction Score
This might have been said before, but I just don’t see a path forward for football. Travel restrictions aside, say your OG rests positive - don’t you have to quarantine entire OL and maybe O? No one has to die, u just need one positive test and now you don’t know if team can travel, play, field a squad, etc. Suppose center at Clemson tests positive - u think qb might have doubts about putting his career at risk? Hows any of this going to work?

Don’t get me wrong, I want this to work, I just can’t imagine how - for anyone.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We can probably still keep Maine play H&H with the rest of the independent's and maybe at ND or another P5 stuck for a game to fill it out.
Only conference games *except Notre Dame

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
32820253-7DF1-4BA7-9844-68E22BA24697.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members