So what does an all Independent schedule look like? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So what does an all Independent schedule look like?

Reaction Score
Alright so now that the B1G is going conference only- looks like potentially just 10 games- what does that mean for UConn?

1. You have to assume the ACC will help Notre Dame so they're not a legitimate opponent for us
2. That leaves 5 other Independents: UMass, BYU, Army, New Mexico State, Liberty. Do we just play home and homes with them?
3. That schedule of all Independents would look something like:

9/3 UMass
9/12 @ New Mexico State
9/19 BYU
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 Army
10/10 @ UMass
10/17 New Mexico State
10/24 @ BYU
10/31 Liberty
11/6 @ Army

Then leave 3-4 weeks at the end to play either 1 non-conference game if possible or play a makeup game from the above

If just conference games are to be played it is an 8 game season for most, so I would expect we would try to cobble together an 8 games schedule if we are playing at all.

Reaction Score
After this news I am convinced that even if an abbreviated season is played, UCONN will not play one game.

I still think ultimately college football is canceled. But there is zero shot UCONN plays any games in the fall regardless. Unless they schedule regional FCS schools and the UMASS game.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Honestly, UConn should just clear their schedule and be prepared to be a P5 conference “fill-in” team when one of the P5 teams inevitably has a C-19 outbreak and has to shut down for the year.

Reaction Score

Good point by AD Dave. We have not played a major league baseball game yet so college football is looking really doubtful. It has nothing to do with being independent vs being still in the AAC. The magical thinking this will all go away is very irresponsible and leading to the likelihood it will take longer to go away.

Reaction Score
If football is played this season, CCSU might have a few date available to make the short trip to East Hartford:

Sep. 5 - vs. Wagner*
Sep. 12 at Merrimack
Sep. 19 - Open (vs. Valparaiso cancelled)
Sep. 26 - at Toledo
Oct. 3 - vs. Duquesne*
Oct. 10 - Open (at Columbia cancelled)
Oct. 17 - at Saint Francis*
Oct. 24 - at Bryant*
Oct. 31 - Open (scheduled bye week)
Nov. 7 - vs. Sacred Heart*
Nov. 14 - Open (at Robert Morris cancelled)
Nov. 21 - vs. Long Island*

*NEC Games

The 'Return to Play' policy just issued from the NEC means the Sep. 5 game vs. Wagner will have to be pushed back to later in the season.

If college football is played this season, I expect CCSU to play UConn. Ironically, the bus ride Central will take from New Britain is shorter than the one the Huskies will take from Storrs.

Reaction Score
BYU is supposed to play Michigan State on Sept. 12th and Minnesota on the 26th. A home and home with BYU is more exciting then Indiana and Illinois anyway. I think someone mentioned before Syracuse is supposed to be at Rutgers on Sept. 12th so maybe we grab them at home and fly to BYU on the 26th. Just saying there are a lot of potentially attractive options.

Reaction Score
Pro sports leagues are in bubbles and we are talking about having college kids flying to Utah for a game.

People coming to Connecticut from a host of states have been ordered to quarantine for 14 days but let’s find schools who can fly to Connecticut to play at the Rent.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Pro sports leagues are in bubbles and we are talking about having college kids flying to Utah for a game.

People coming to Connecticut from a host of states have been ordered to quarantine for 14 days but let’s find schools who can fly to Connecticut to play at the Rent.
This is the same reason why I don't know how MLB thinks they're going to pull off their plan of teams playing in their home stadiums. How does flying to different parts of the country that have varying degrees of spread make any sense? If I were the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox, I wouldn't want any teams from the South or West coming to my stadium. Actually I'm going to say the governors of those states won't want it.

Reaction Score
A lot of these schools are getting rid of out of conference games to get rid of travel. The idea of UConn filling the schedule with long distance independents such as BYU and N. Mexico St. seems unlikely. Filling the schedule with teams of the ilk of CCSU is not likely either. Schools below the FBS level are more likely not to play at all, as there is no money or fans. This seems to deteriorate on a daily basis.

The next question is what kind of hit does the athletic department take if no games are played? Budgets already not so good looking ahead, may be further hampered. Any way you slice it, not a good look.

Reaction Score
A lot of these schools are getting rid of out of conference games to get rid of travel. The idea of UConn filling the schedule with long distance independents such as BYU and N. Mexico St. seems unlikely. Filling the schedule with teams of the ilk of CCSU is not likely either. Schools below the FBS level are more likely not to play at all, as there is no money or fans. This seems to deteriorate on a daily basis.

The next question is what kind of hit does the athletic department take if no games are played? Budgets already not so good looking ahead, may be further hampered. Any way you slice it, not a good look.

Football has been a money loser the last couple years due to poor attendance and that likely would not have changed much in 2020 (I am optimistic long term this will change). Assuming no football this season does not affect current marketing deals with Nike/Learfield and that UConn had no buy games this season, it probably won't affect AD financials much. The bigger deal is whether or not basketball happens given the significant uptick in ticket purchases, donations, merch, TV revenue from the Big East.

While no football season is a loss in ticket rev and the CBS Sports TV deal for this season, I think the numbers for the time being are relatively small compared to the cost of sending kids around the country to play football and paying rent to play at the Rent. You still have coach's salaries on the books and the "cost of scholarships" (quotations due to the weird accounting of it) but that should amount to less than the $10 million deficit of football last season. This again all assume other existing agreements at a top line AD level remain constant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Football has been a money loser the last couple years due to poor attendance and that likely would not have changed much in 2020 (I am optimistic long term this will change). Assuming no football this season does not affect current marketing deals with Nike/Learfield and that UConn had no buy games this season, it probably won't affect AD financials much. The bigger deal is whether or not basketball happens given the significant uptick in ticket purchases, donations, merch, TV revenue from the Big East.

While no football season is a loss in ticket rev and the CBS Sports TV deal for this season, I think the numbers for the time being are relatively small compared to the cost of sending kids around the country to play football and paying rent to play at the Rent. You still have coach's salaries on the books and the "cost of scholarships" (quotations due to the weird accounting of it) but that should amount to less than the $10 million deficit of football last season. This again all assume other existing agreements at a top line AD level remain constant.
And the reduced recruiting costs will be a savings as well

Reaction Score
If they go out of conference they lose any basis for discriminating against other teams on a contract basis
Agreed on that. Can't claim pandemic to skirt out of the buy game fees if ur playing conference games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom