So There Was This Wasp Nest And | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So There Was This Wasp Nest And

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Against my better judgment, I watched the video on YouTube. I didn’t like the video title to start with. As I watched the video, a more apt title should have been, “Amari DeBerry, a great kid, who is who she is.”
I watched it and learned a lot. Amari is a nice kid. She isn't lazy, she just doesn't like physical basketball. So, she can score. If that is true--and she has a nice hook shot, and close in put back. Use her where she shall produce for the team. It ain't rocket science. Apparently, she is what she shall be--doing the same thing over and over has a name.

Reaction Score
No one has inferred she is or isn't doing things that hurt the team. She doesn't like being beat up under the boards--flash--I don't either.

Reaction Score
if the huskies 'will need at some point' some theoretical special size that you desire against gigantic teams then it ain't gonna happen. they'll simply have to win with what they've got.,

i think they can. they have done so in the past, and it will be fun to see if they can pull it off again.

you don't have to have a certain perfect combination of players to win ... you have to mold the players you do have into a winning team. a high inch-count is nice, but lack of it doesn't equate to a lost cause.

that's what i think, anyway.
I completely agree with you

Reaction Score
The comparison was that Katie Lou was basically an outside player at first. Then got way better at rebounding and defending on the inside as time went on. I think thats what Amari wants to be (or wanted to be) and how she sees herself....as an outside shooter.
Its just an observation. No disrespect meant for Katie Lou. But i sure got a lot of WOWS lol

Reaction Score
Geno's report cards on Amari have not changed in 3 + years. Everyone agreeing she's a swell kid and a real cut up is meaningless. Neither of those attributes appear on a stat sheet. Plainly being at the end of the bench does not bother her to the point of trying to move up the line. It's a shame, but clearly her recruitment has been a failure.
By her own admission she had mainly faced opponents who she was much taller than. Past posters who had actually seen her play against opponents that matched her height said that she struggled mightily in those situations. Hard to believe that Geno wouldnt have known this, but he may have been faced with the quandary of needing to sign somebody and fell victim to “you can’t teach 6-5”-itis.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno does not know how a recruit is going to react to his coaching. Luckily for us, the vast majority of them embrace the UConn Way and improve their abilities with some ending up as NPOYs, All Americans, All Conference and then professional careers. Others leave for whatever reason. And then some participate for multiple seasons and are contributers when called upon. And then there is...:rolleyes: :)

Reaction Score
You don’t know that. That is when she had the surgery. I didn’t get my back checked out until my sciatic nerve started bothering. Come to find out I had a herniated disc, which was really bad. So she could’ve been playing for however long before finding out about it

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno does not know how a recruit is going to react to his coaching. Luckily for us, the vast majority of them embrace the UConn Way and improve their abilities with some ending up as NPOYs, All Americans, All Conference and then professional careers. Others leave for whatever reason. And then some participate for multiple seasons and are contributers when called upon. And then there is...:rolleyes: :)
By the time Geno offers a recruit a scholarship, I think he has a pretty good idea how that recruit will respond to the demands of playing basketball at UConn. Of course not every recruit that comes to UConn will fit in as hoped for. But through the years Geno has a remarkable track record of bringing in the right kids who are both talented and receptive to the environment at Storrs.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
By the time Geno offers a recruit a scholarship, I think he has a pretty good idea how that recruit will respond to the demands of playing basketball at UConn. Of course not every recruit that comes to UConn will fit in as hoped for. But through the years Geno has a remarkable track record of bringing in the right kids who are both talented and receptive to the environment at Storrs.
So true. Look at the 2017 class, where we had #1 Walker, #13 Coombs, #16 Espinoza-Hunter, and #29 Gordon, and only Walker made it through three full seasons (she declared for the WNBA after her junior year). Although I didn't get why she didn't stay for a 4th year, in hindsight, perhaps with all the covid uncertainty and the NCAAT being canceled, perhaps she didn't want to risk any weird 4th year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
People who think Amari should get more playing time as a wing are missing the point. You want her in the game taking outside shots instead of Bueckers, Arnold, Shade, Samuels, Griffin, or even Muhl? Amari's feet are so slow and she's such a liability on defense that it would be a waste. She's just not quick enough and has slow feet. Sure she's a competent spot up shooter, but not at the expense of much better players at that position.

Giving her more reps in games is a silly suggestion and won't get her to where she needs to be - which is a physical player in the post. If she can't/won't embrace that, then she will continue to contribute from the bench. As you all probably know, I love the kid - her chemistry and "team-mated-ness" is off the charts. She's just not a viable post player, and possibly never will be.

And I'm not even sure she would be successful elsewhere. Remember Piath? She went to UMASS, and even in her last year there, barely got off the bench. Now she's at Portland, and it seems she has not played this year. Maybe she has to sit out as this is her 2nd transfer? Point is, she was a 6'5" center, quicker and more athletic than Amari, who didn't mind banging in the post, and still can't seem to find her way into a lineup.

Remember Heather Buck? I think she was #19 or so coming out of HS. Had one tremendous game against Baylor slowing down Griner, and other than that, had very little impact. For 4 years, we had the same conversations as we are having now about Amari. No one could figure out why Heather wasn't more productive.

From an article in the Post back in 2013 coming up to Heather's senior night, she said: "The overall experience here absolutely outweighs anything I think I could have had somewhere else,'' Buck said. "This is the way it went. And I'm very happy with my decision. We won two national championships so far while I've been here and played on arguably the best team or couple teams in the history of women's basketball. Who else can say that? That's really cool.''

Maybe that's close to how Amari feels (sans the NC's)...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Remember Heather Buck? I think she was #19 or so coming out of HS. Had one tremendous game against Baylor slowing down Griner, and other than that, had very little impact. For 4 years, we had the same conversations as we are having now about Amari. No one could figure out why Heather wasn't more productive.

From an article in the Post back in 2013 coming up to Heather's senior night, she said: "The overall experience here absolutely outweighs anything I think I could have had somewhere else,'' Buck said. "This is the way it went. And I'm very happy with my decision. We won two national championships so far while I've been here and played on arguably the best team or couple teams in the history of women's basketball. Who else can say that? That's really cool.''

Maybe that's close to how Amari feels (sans the NC's)...
Geno spoke at a public event, championship dinner?, and said Heather was a nursing student and “too nice”. He said if she ever pushed anyone out of her way in the post, she’d stop playing to see if the opponent needed a Band-Aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom