So much for Cuse being NYC's team | The Boneyard

So much for Cuse being NYC's team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this is not a surprise and its not getting better. these kinds of stories do not help Uconn's casue, either, as their football rates even lower than cuse, Rutgers and PSU in new yorker's minds.

The way to capture attention in NYC for college sports is the Big East tourney. That's it. duke vs UNC at MSG is not going to capture people. maybe Duke vs Cuse or UNC vs Uconn would. That's about it

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
All I can say is that if UCONN were playing PSU at MetLife Stadium today, we'd have sold out our allotment. Zero doubt about that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
this is not a surprise and its not getting better. these kinds of stories do not help Uconn's casue, either, as their football rates even lower than cuse, Rutgers and PSU in new yorker's minds.

The way to capture attention in NYC for college sports is the Big East tourney. That's it. duke vs UNC at MSG is not going to capture people. maybe Duke vs Cuse or UNC vs Uconn would. That's about it

We'll have a chance to at least move the needle a bit when we play Army at Yankee Stadium next season. I'll be there with as many people as I can talk into going. Hopefully we'll account for 30k of the 40k there. That will be a start and something like that may lead to something like a game against PSU at Metlife in the future.

Reaction Score
Guys. Lets be real, if we played Penn St at met life this yr we'd sell 10k tickets. Especially after Thursday's performance. Next year vs Army we may get 15k.

Reaction Score
Guys. Lets be real, if we played Penn St at met life this yr we'd sell 10k tickets. Especially after Thursday's performance. Next year vs Army we may get 15k.

I'm not sure I agree. UCONN fans have responded well to match ups against big names, couple that with the fact that most fans realize that a good NYC turnout plays well in our CR aspirations, and the fact that UCONN and many of its fans are located a short distance from NYC. In contrast, the main core of the Syracuse fan base are locals that live around the city of Syracuse and are less likely to travel 5 hours to see the game.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree. UCONN fans have responded well to match ups against big names, couple that with the fact that most fans realize that a good NYC turnout plays well in our CR aspirations, and the fact that UCONN and many of its fans are located a short distance from NYC. In contrast, the main core of the Syracuse fan base are locals that live around the city of Syracuse and are less likely to travel 5 hours to see the game.
UConn can't get 30k people to show up to a game on a Thursday night right in the middle of the state. You think more than 10k are going to drive on average 2 hours (2.5+ for students) to go to a game in New Jersey. Maybe a hoops game, but not to see this team. There is a SMALL base that understands a good showing may help in realignment but a large chunk doesn't care. There is a reason we haven't played a neutral site game, we won't draw. The game at Yankee Stadium is a road game, we'll sell our 5k allotment in tickets and Army will be on the hook for the rest

Reaction Score
UConn can't get 30k people to show up to a game on a Thursday night right in the middle of the state. You think more than 10k are going to drive on average 2 hours (2.5+ for students) to go to a game in New Jersey. Maybe a hoops game, but not to see this team. There is a SMALL base that understands a good showing may help in realignment but a large chunk doesn't care. There is a reason we haven't played a neutral site game, we won't draw. The game at Yankee Stadium is a road game, we'll sell our 5k allotment in tickets and Army will be on the hook for the rest

You are talking about Towson on a Thursday night, not Penn State on a Saturday. Big difference. There are over 20,000 Alum in NYC and for a lot of fans driving to NYC is a shorter ride than getting up to East Hartford. Additionally, if students have to drive 30 minutes to go see Towson, why not sit on a bus for 1.5 hours more and see Penn State. I think more than 5K show up for the army game, I'd take that bet.

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20. If we opened with PSU we wouldn't have known we sucked until PSU crushed us. We would have brought plenty of people to Jersey for a highly anticipated opener.

After getting pummeled by Towson, not so much.

Reaction Score
We should have beat Towson by at least two touchdowns, but they are a better team than most give them credit for. They also have more players with BCS experience than may BCS teams going into game 1. NDSU, another top FCS team, upset Kansas State (who was picked to win the Big 12). Having said that, we still should have been able to contain their running game, the OL shouldn't have been man-handled, we should have been able to execute on 3rd and short, etc. "It looked like deja vu all over again". . .

Reaction Score
We beat Maryland last year. . .I can only hope Towson was a wake up call (hope is all I can muster at this point) and the team plays "all in" and uninhibited. UCONN has talent and showed glimpses of that on Thursday, but maybe it was just me, but aside from a handful of players, the team appeared to play tentative. Hoping it was just first game jitters and they can rebound.

Reaction Score
“Syracuse is Syracuse,” Hameline said. “But if you’re a New Yorker, you think upstate is Westchester.”

:)

Reaction Score
“Syracuse is Syracuse,” Hameline said. “But if you’re a New Yorker, you think upstate is Westchester.”

:)

That's pretty accurate. I didn't even realize that Buffalo was in NY until I headed off to college.

Reaction Score
All I can say is that if UCONN were playing PSU at MetLife Stadium today, we'd have sold out our allotment. Zero doubt about that.
You couldnt even sell out your home opener (30k maybe??) but your going to sell out your allotment at Metlife? Give me a break!!
You probably would have done just as good as Cuse in ticket sales.

Reaction Score
You couldnt even sell out your home opener (30k maybe??) but your going to sell out your allotment at Metlife? Give me a break!!
You are correct about one thing......we would have done ATleast as well as Syracuse. The problem is, we don't self proclaim to be NY's team. If anything, ticket sales for today's game proves how pathetic and inaccurate that self proclamation is. Word to the Orange, NYC can care less about your team, especially football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

As bad as we are under PP, we'd have to hire and fire Robinson and Marrone before we'd be as bad as Syracuse.

However, we'd never be so stupid as you are comparing a mid-week game against an FCS to a marquee game against one of the biggest names is CFB. And no, that name is not Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Sorry woomba, but that doesn't say much about your high school.:)

lol - I went to one of the top public high schools in NYC. I'm just telling you how little most people in NYC care about upstate NY... and to someone from NYC, upstate is north of Yonkers.

Reaction Score
lol - I went to one of the top public high schools in NYC. I'm just telling you how little most people in NYC care about upstate NY... and to someone from NYC, upstate is north of Yonkers.
Stuyvestant or BS?

Reaction Score
Excellent school near Union Square Park where the students would hang out after school!

Reaction Score
As bad as we are under PP, we'd have to hire and fire Robinson and Marrone before we'd be as bad as Syracuse.

However, we'd never be so stupid as you are comparing a mid-week game against an FCS to a marquee game against one of the biggest names is CFB. And no, that name is not Syracuse.

You got beat by FCS Towson. Dont tell me how good they are, they are a FCS school!

This was your 1) Home Opener 2) On a Thursday, not mid week 3) Should have been a gimme win. Your fans should show up for this game when its at home. I wouldn't expect a BB school to understand that though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom