So Much For B 12 Staying At 10 So Long Louisville And Perhaps Cincy | The Boneyard

So Much For B 12 Staying At 10 So Long Louisville And Perhaps Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will see, I've read a lot of articles like that one over the last 3 months that were full of hot air. Florida State was going to the SEC etc... I think this reporter is trying to manipulate things with his supposed source in the Big 12.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The B12 is desperate imo. They need WV next year if Missouri goes to the SEC. So now there will be threats of taking Louisville and Cincy. The B12 is attempting to frighten the BE imo. They will offer a "reconciliation" with the BE of not taking any more BE teams if WV is allowed to go next season. I want the BE to keep WV to its commitment. I don't think the B12 can wait for 27 months, so they will have to drop WV and take BYU. With WV in the fold the BE can expand and have a reasonable football conference.

Reaction Score
at this point, the Big East falling apart isn't the end of the world for us, it forces ND's hand to make a decision, which appears to be our only ticket into the ACC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Anyone who believes that the BE (as a credible football conference) is still going to be around (other than some temporary solution that may get it to 2015) is fooling himself.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yup. Take the remaining 5 big twelve. At worst, your get Usf only. Uconn and RU likely go to ACC. Do it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The other conferences and their TV partners want the Big East to go away, but don't want to be tagged as the entity that 'finished the job'.

So the best way for them to do this apparently is to cause as much instability, real or perceived, as they possibly can so that the league cannot regenerate itself and ultimately dies out on its own.

This 'slow burn' approach is maddeningly frustrating. I'd much prefer that they drive the damn stake in the Big East at this point...

Reaction Score
Between the BIG,SEC,BIG12,ACC they probably will figure someway to divide up the remaining 5 BIG EAST teams which will eliminate the 27 months to leave. If all the football teams have a place to go to the BIG EAST might sue but it would cost them more then it would be worth. In that scenario letting eveyone go they could work out a deal with those conferences for home and home basketball games. That would keep the basketball schools ahead of the mid majors for scheduling.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
When a big fish goes hunting, all the smaller fish are in survival mode. They aren't thinking about anything other than staying alive. The smallest fish have no control of their destiny. The SEC, PAC and B!G are the biggest fish. The ACC and the B12 are medium fish. The BE is next biggest, with the other conferences being the smallest fish.

The best chance for survival by little fish is if they stay united. Otherwise they get picked off one by one until they are no longer alive, or the bigger fish are satisfied. If I'm a little fish, I don't take the chance that the big fish will let me survive I make my own chances until there is no hope.

There are no guarantees UConn ends up in a major conference. So capitulation is an act of weakness or exhaustion. I hope UConn's leadership has the strength to continue to make counter moves to every move made by the other conferences, or even within the BE conference, to provide UConn with its best chance of survival. I hope UConn does not rely on the mercy of other conferences as the underlying basis for its plans.

Reaction Score
Fleudslipcon wrote: There are no guarantees UConn ends up in a major conference. So capitulation is an act of weakness or exhaustion. I hope UConn's leadership has the strength to continue to make counter moves to every move made by the other conferences, or even within the BE conference, to provide UConn with its best chance of survival. I hope UConn does not rely on the mercy of other conferences as the underlying basis for its plans.

To me, that is UConn's biggest challenge in the near future- How to stay on top of this, so as not to become victimized by the next wave. I think that Herbst is active, but more behind the scenes than any of us know. This is just based on what she has been saying of late- letting the media (hence the conferences) know that there is a culture change at UConn with a higher APR on the horizon, more input from the president on the student-athlete front etc. She's countering Leahy's message about low APR as being a factor in why UConn was not chosen by the ACC (even though we all know this was hog-wash)!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
To me, that is UConn's biggest challenge in the near future- How to stay on top of this, so as not to become victimized by the next wave. I think that Herbst is active, but more behind the scenes than any of us know. This is just based on what she has been saying of late- letting the media (hence the conferences) know that there is a culture change at UConn with a higher APR on the horizon, more input from the president on the student-athlete front etc. She's countering Leahy's message about low APR as being a factor in why UConn was not chosen by the ACC (even though we all know this was hog-wash)!
I agree that Leahy's spin on the APR as the reason for UConn not getting into the ACC was a thinly veiled attempt to divert attention away from his incompetent AD. Most people who are not invested emotionally with the ACC and UConn would immediately see through his statements.

President Herbst was involved with correcting the APR as one of her first actions as head of the University. It was independent of the realignment issues and absolutely important that a great university such as UConn take charge of this flaw. It was evidence of her leadership skills.

The most important thing for President Herbst, at this moment in time with the current state of events, is to rally all the BE universities who have voting rights, other than Louisville and Cincy, to remain firm on the 27 month commitment. UConn has to take this action until it has a guarantee it ends up in another conference. Then UConn must recuse itself.

Other wise the potential exists that UConn ends up in a CUSA situation with a very difficult road in getting it's football program into a top tier status and with a possibility the men's bb program can suffer.

Reaction Score
Between the BIG,SEC,BIG12,ACC they probably will figure someway to divide up the remaining 5 BIG EAST teams which will eliminate the 27 months to leave. If all the football teams have a place to go to the BIG EAST might sue but it would cost them more then it would be worth. In that scenario letting eveyone go they could work out a deal with those conferences for home and home basketball games. That would keep the basketball schools ahead of the mid majors for scheduling.

The 27 months is the only thing the BE has left. However, I have no doubt that the factions within the conference see differing goals with the 27 month process.

FOOTBALL SCHOOLS:

The 27 months is breathing room to again rebuild the BE football profile. The BE can get the football onlies into the conference in 2012 while keeping Pitt, Cuse and WVU through 2014. Add Boise, Air Force and Navy in 2012 and deal with the scheduling issues of the 11 teams for a couple of years. Then for the 2014 season add UCF, SMU, Houston and stay at 11 with a 10 game conference season or add another team to go to 12 (Memphis, ECU, Tulane or Temple). This would be a smooth transition and allow the BE to keep it's AQ status.

HOOPS SCHOOLS:

Get an extra $10 million out of Pitt, 'Cuse, and WVU and just let the go on their merry way. A couple of extra million must look pretty nice to a Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul and others.

Reaction Score
14 Team Conference:

UCONN
Rutty
Lville
Cincy
USF
WVU
Texas
T Tech
Okla
Okla St
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St

All the other conferences seem to be going to 14 anyways, so why not ??

The big 12 could keep pace with all the others, and not have to have a scare like they did with texahoma last year.

Just do it.

Reaction Score
14 Team Conference:

UCONN
Rutty
Lville
Cincy
USF
WVU
Texas
T Tech
Okla
Okla St
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St

All the other conferences seem to be going to 14 anyways, so why not ??

The big 12 could keep pace with all the others, and not have to have a scare like they did with texahoma last year.

Just do it.
Forgot TCU.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The 27 months is the only thing the BE has left. However, I have no doubt that the factions within the conference see differing goals with the 27 month process.

FOOTBALL SCHOOLS:

The 27 months is breathing room to again rebuild the BE football profile. The BE can get the football onlies into the conference in 2012 while keeping Pitt, Cuse and WVU through 2014. Add Boise, Air Force and Navy in 2012 and deal with the scheduling issues of the 11 teams for a couple of years. Then for the 2014 season add UCF, SMU, Houston and stay at 11 with a 10 game conference season or add another team to go to 12 (Memphis, ECU, Tulane or Temple). This would be a smooth transition and allow the BE to keep it's AQ status.

HOOPS SCHOOLS:

Get an extra $10 million out of Pitt, 'Cuse, and WVU and just let the go on their merry way. A couple of extra million must look pretty nice to a Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul and others.
You summarize this pretty well. I would add one more thing. I'm sure the hoop schools are divided with some wanting an immediate payout and some thinking that if the conference can hold together, it could get a decent contract in the upcoming negotiations that would be better long term than the immediate pay out and the monies offered by networks with the disintegration of the BE.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Forgot TCU.
So take BYU and be the first conference to 16 and see if this causes the SEC to raid the ACC.

This would be a far better situation for UConn over the reconfigured BE that is being suggested. The travel cost for all sports would be somewhat of an issue, but far less significant than all the advantages the BE football teams would gain from this merger.

The problem is the B12 controls this merger. And it looks like neither Texas or OU want to go to 14 or 16. I'm pretty sure Texas doesn't want to go past 10.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That's the thing isn't it? If the B12 invites all five remaining BE teams, I don't think Uconn or Ru accepts assuming ND stays independent. The B12 takes Louisville, Cincy and Usf to get to 13 and can add BYU or ND (ha!) as #14.

The worst downside for them is they get "stuck" with USF and snooki.

Hold fast on the 27 BE.

Perhaps Dez's comment at 11:18 of today's chat has raised my hopes a little too much, but he read as very confident that Uconn ends up in the ACC without much drama if the BE folds.

Reaction Score
That's the thing isn't it? If the B12 invites all five remaining BE teams, I don't think Uconn or Ru accepts assuming ND stays independent. The B12 takes Louisville, Cincy and Usf to get to 13 and can add BYU or ND (ha!) as #14.

Hold fast on the 27 BE.

Perhaps Dez's comment at 11:18 of today's chat has raised my hopes a little too much, but he read as very confident that Uconn ends up in the ACC without much drama if the BE folds.

UConn & RU would accept an invite to the Big12 simply because the ACC can't substitute any school for them. Coach K. already made mention of this. The ACC is rather limited if it ever wanted to expand.

Reaction Score
So take BYU and be the first conference to 16 and see if this causes the SEC to raid the ACC.

This would be a far better situation for UConn over the reconfigured BE that is being suggested. The travel cost for all sports would be somewhat of an issue, but far less significant than all the advantages the BE football teams would gain from this merger.

The problem is the B12 controls this merger. And it looks like neither Texas or OU want to go to 14 or 16. I'm pretty sure Texas doesn't want to go past 10.

16 was a number that was relevant ONLY in the event of 4 superconferences. With the B12 surviving now, it's much less relevant. The SEC is obviously close but the Pac12 and Big10 don't see the point anymore. 16 was supposed to be about a 64 team Superleague, but now that teams like TCU, Cincy, BYU and Louisville may be in, the very teams that 64 would have excluded now have a seat at the table, not to mention Iowa St., Baylor and Kansas St.

Reaction Score

Hold fast on the 27 BE.

What was his comment?

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Hold fast on the 27 BE.

If the B12 invites all of the BE football teams they all accept. But the way I see the BE getting all the football teams in a merger is if Texas and OU have a split with Texas declaring independence and OU trying to salvage the B12. Which is why I believe the BE needs to keep WV to the 27 month holding period. And the BE bb schools can benefit if the BE football schools accept a merger with the B12 schools in football only and not in all sports. I doubt the football schools will do this but the BE bb schools have to play it out to see if it happens this way, because any other pathway they take will definitely cause the football schools to leave the conference.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
16 was a number that was relevant ONLY in the event of 4 superconferences. With the B12 surviving now, it's much less relevant. The SEC is obviously close but the Pac12 and Big10 don't see the point anymore. 16 was supposed to be about a 64 team Superleague, but now that teams like TCU, Cincy, BYU and Louisville may be in, the very teams that 64 would have excluded now have a seat at the table, not to mention Iowa St., Baylor and Kansas St.
This will be the case only if the B12 and the ACC are both left intact (assuming the demise of the BE). But neither conference may survive in the near or distant future with a BCS recognition. I would believe that after the B12 mess is sorted out there will be a holding pattern for a little while to allow the conferences a chance to observe how the recent events impacts the football landscape with viewership and media interest. But after some period of time, if consolidation appears to improve interest and monies, further consolidation will take place.

If it proves detrimental, then the conferences and media may break up the larger conferences into smaller units.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
at this point, the Big East falling apart isn't the end of the world for us, it forces ND's hand to make a decision, which appears to be our only ticket into the ACC.
people keep saying that and i simply don't get it. how exactly does it force ND's hand? EVEN if the entire cadre of football schools left the BE, ND would still be in a hoops league with the rest of the catholic, et al. schools. Depaul, Georgetown, SJU, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, and Marquette. that's a strong hoops conference. as discussed before, that conference could always look to add the likes of Butler, Gonzaga (maybe a bit far), Xavier, and any other programs to boost their hoops profile. so please explain how the demise of the BE football schools forces ND's hand? they are independent in FB anyway...

ctchamps

Reaction Score
people keep saying that and i simply don't get it. how exactly does it force ND's hand? EVEN if the entire cadre of football schools left the BE, ND would still be in a hoops league with the rest of the catholic, et al. schools. Depaul, Georgetown, SJU, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, and Marquette. that's a strong hoops conference. as discussed before, that conference could always look to add the likes of Butler, Gonzaga (maybe a bit far), Xavier, and any other programs to boost their hoops profile. so please explain how the demise of the BE football schools forces ND's hand? they are independent in FB anyway...
I think it is more a hope than a certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom