So Much For B 12 Staying At 10 So Long Louisville And Perhaps Cincy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So Much For B 12 Staying At 10 So Long Louisville And Perhaps Cincy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
16 was a number that was relevant ONLY in the event of 4 superconferences. With the B12 surviving now, it's much less relevant. The SEC is obviously close but the Pac12 and Big10 don't see the point anymore. 16 was supposed to be about a 64 team Superleague, but now that teams like TCU, Cincy, BYU and Louisville may be in, the very teams that 64 would have excluded now have a seat at the table, not to mention Iowa St., Baylor and Kansas St.

Everyone who rushed into the Big XII will find themselves scrambling for a seat in 6 years. But being safe for six years is, at the moment, better off than we are.

Reaction Score
people keep saying that and i simply don't get it. how exactly does it force ND's hand? EVEN if the entire cadre of football schools left the BE, ND would still be in a hoops league with the rest of the catholic, et al. schools. Depaul, Georgetown, SJU, Nova, Seton Hall, Providence, and Marquette. that's a strong hoops conference. as discussed before, that conference could always look to add the likes of Butler, Gonzaga (maybe a bit far), Xavier, and any other programs to boost their hoops profile. so please explain how the demise of the BE football schools forces ND's hand? they are independent in FB anyway...

I think they point this out because the catholics don't field as many good programs outside of basketball. Notre Dame's athletic department is a full department, and does well across the board. While some of their non-revenue sports aren't driving the bus, they do need to be in a conference, and the BE, with the football schools, allowed ND to compete at many more sports than just basketball. Without many of those schools, many of ND's olympic sports have nowhere to go.

Does that mean they will join the ACC? No. But the football schools offered ND much more than the catholics alone.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think they point this out because the catholics don't field as many good programs outside of basketball. Notre Dame's athletic department is a fully department, and does well across the board. While some of their non-revenue sports aren't driving the bus, they do need to be in a conference, and the BE, with the football schools, allowed ND to compete at many more sports than just basketball. Without many of those schools, many of ND's olympic sports have nowhere to go.

Does that mean they will join the ACC? No. But the football schools offered ND much more than the catholics alone.
That's about as good an explanation as any.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think they point this out because the catholics don't field as many good programs outside of basketball. Notre Dame's athletic department is a fully department, and does well across the board. While some of their non-revenue sports aren't driving the bus, they do need to be in a conference, and the BE, with the football schools, allowed ND to compete at many more sports than just basketball. Without many of those schools, many of ND's olympic sports have nowhere to go.

ah that's a great explanation. still, how much revenue do those other "Olympic" sports bring to ND? if i had to guess, i'd say about 80% football, 15% hoops, and 5% for the rest. if ND looks at their bottom line and realizes it will be a net loss of millions to join any conference in all sports, it won't happen, at least not in my opinion. believe me - i hope they do join the ACC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
ah that's a great explanation. still, how much revenue do those other "Olympic" sports bring to ND? if i had to guess, i'd say about 80% football, 15% hoops, and 5% for the rest. if ND looks at their bottom line and realizes it will be a net loss of millions to join any conference in all sports, it won't happen, at least not in my opinion. believe me - i hope they do join the ACC.
There is a lot more than money at issue. The success rate in the olympic sports that ND has enjoyed in the BE is valuable in terms of getting better student to enroll at ND. BTW I believe UConn has has the second most success in olympic sports after ND.

Reaction Score

I'm of 2 minds on this. First, in terms of revenue, ND maximizes it within a conference, so revs are not a concern.

BUT, I think ND could sacrifice the Olympic sports to a degree by allying with a CUSA type league IF it means ND football is viable.

If the Big12 had collapsed, I have no doubt ND would have joined a conference. But ow that superleagues aren't happening, I could see them throwing Olympic sports over into CUSA land.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Also interested in his comment. Maybe a link?
Found it in the chat replay, along with another comment from Dez:

11:02
Comment From OTR (on the road)
hard to think about next week when there may not be a next yr 4 the big east

11:04
Desmond:
UConn will be fine if there's no Big East. i know you don't believe that. Not going to try to convince folks either, but the word is out there on UConn and it's future. And I believe the Governor even made a statement about it.

11:15
Comment From Mike
More news coming out that the big 12 is expanding again with l'ville making it 11 and ND in all sports except football. If this happens what reason does the acc have to expand further? Looking more and more like UConn could be left without a seat

11:18
Desmond:
You'll have to ask the ACC but I think this, as a UConn supporter, that's right in line with what most believe will land UConn in the ACC. If ND stays independent in football and its olympic sports go Big 12 that paves the way for Rutgers and UConn. If ND goes ACC then it's ND and UConn. That's my story and I'm sticking with it Mike. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but right now I don't think I am.

Reaction Score
There is a lot more than money at issue. The success rate in the olympic sports that ND has enjoyed in the BE is valuable in terms of getting better student to enroll at ND. BTW I believe UConn has has the second most success in olympic sports after ND.
There's also the element of prestige for ND. It would likely be viewed as a devalue their other programs to be associated largely with perceived low-level competition like DePaul, Seton Hall, PC, and the like. The only heavy-hitting programs woudl be GT, Nova, and to an extent SJU. At that point, I really would see ND realizing the landscape in front of them, would look to make a move to associate their programs with better perceived competition.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There's also the element of prestige for ND. It would likely be viewed as a devalue their other programs to be associated largely with perceived low-level competition like DePaul, Seton Hall, PC, and the like. The only heavy-hitting programs woudl be GT, Nova, and to an extent SJU. At that point, I really would see ND realizing the landscape in front of them, would look to make a move to associate their programs with better perceived competition.
No argument from me that who they play against in the olympic sports will be considered as important as winning. The big question is what the decision makers will decide if it comes to choosing between the olympic sports or the commandingly favorable contract they get from NBC by remaining independent in football. My bet is they chose the money the football brings vs integrating into a conference contract. The only exception I can see is if some deal develops in a year from now between NBC, the BE and ND to bring ND into the BE conference and break up ESPN's strangle hold in college sports. But the BE may not survive a year.

Reaction Score
Really, at this point, like many others have said, UConn should root for this to happen. ND will have to move its sports. Until it does, UConn will be left in limbo. Whatever will make ND act is what will make the cards fall for UConn.

If you want to be a depressed sports fan, be a USF football fan. Right now, they're probably not going to be sniffed at by any major conference for various reasons that are obvious.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Really, at this point, like many others have said, UConn should root for this to happen. ND will have to move its sports. Until it does, UConn will be left in limbo. Whatever will make ND act is what will make the cards fall for UConn.

If you want to be a depressed sports fan, be a USF football fan. Right now, they're probably not going to be sniffed at by any major conference for various reasons that are obvious.
I'm neither rooting for or against this scenario. I'd only root for it if there was a guarantee that ND would go to the ACC and take UConn along. That scenario is not definite. In fact the opposite can occur in which Uconn ends up in the likes of a Conference USA if the BE dissolves.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The Notre Dame alumni need to get over their delusions and realize the ACC is the conference that best represents all of 1) academic strength, 2) support for a full range of athletics, 3) opportunity to win, and 4) opportunity to grow and thrive for football. They could not make a better choice than to join the ACC. If NBC scales back their contract in 2015 (and if the ratings continue to drop, it stands a decent chance of happening), they'll be kicking themselves for not having joined a conference sooner.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any comments related to ND are predicated on the assumption that the carousel can not stop until ND moves conferences in some form. The idea being that ND's next move will stand for the foreseeable future. This will free up the other conferences to move on to plan B. The widely held view is that the ACC will take UConn and RU in this scenario. ND is the proverbial hairball in the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom