So Long Bahamas | The Boneyard

So Long Bahamas

Reaction Score
Awful refs. Awful commentary. Awful play and coaching for 2 games. Time to take our 3 wins and RUN.

Reaction Score
We went 2-1 vs NCAA tourney teams and could have beat MSU. I don't think we were beating Baylor, but overall I'd say it was a productive trip.
True. And I'm glad we didn't get hammered by Baylor at this point in the season. I'd like to think by year end we could be competitive against them. It's a big ask.

Reaction Score
I've never seen commentators officiate games like they did at this tournament. The referees were atrocious. Games were too close together. I hope we never play this event again.
Agree on the commentators - it was painful to listen to across three games. Second rate announcers at best. Come on ESPN - great lineup of teams in a great location and you could not send better announcers?!

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget that the refs came over to the announcing crew and Dykes told the ref the guy was out of bounds when he caught it and time shouldn’t have come off. The ref then asked if they had a better angle and nearly overturned the call. I’ve never seen that before. Don’t think it truly effected the outcome of any of their games, but the officiating was brutally bad.

Reaction Score
I've never seen commentators officiate games like they did at this tournament. The referees were atrocious. Games were too close together. I hope we never play this event again.
Dykes is OK. He mostly does SEC games, so I would think this was probably the first time he’s called a UConn game. As far as Karl Ravech goes, It’s just strange hearing him call basketball since he is so synonymous with baseball.

They did spend a minute or two praising Calhoun . Ravech went on to say how generous he is within the community and state using the cardiology center as an example. Jimmy Dykes said Calhoun is one of the best coaches to ever do it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I dont know - he seemed to just repeat himself too much and complain about things too much like he was a fan and not a broadcaster.

Yeah. Almost seemed like they were on a three day bender as an announcing team and kept telling the same stories.
To be fair, the stuff about fade away jumpers not going in for any player on any team in any game were fun? to listen to. The air fryer thing with Hawk was cringe worthy.
They also had good analysis of wrong tef in wrong spot making wrong call yesterday against Cole.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

This is now the best preseason tournament in the country, we'll be back

The officiating was awful, especially at the end of MSU and vs VCU (both opponents play physical FWIW)

Reaction Score
True. And I'm glad we didn't get hammered by Baylor at this point in the season. I'd like to think by year end we could be competitive against them. It's a big ask.
Just because we lat to M State and M State got blown out by Baylor...doesn't necessarily mean we would have lost to Baylor. Yes, Baylor is damn good and elite and dangerous....but we would've been pump after 2 victories over Auburn and M State (2 NCAA tourney bound teams anyway) getting ready to topple the 6 team in the country.

Even if we lost to Baylor, our schedule strength would've been much better that a victory over Auburn and VCU, though I do think VCU could potentially be another NCAA tourney team if the make a good run after dropping to a 3-4 record (at the momentanyway).

Reaction Score
This is now the best preseason tournament in the country, we'll be back

The officiating was awful, especially at the end of MSU and vs VCU (both opponents play physical FWIW)
Agree. Atlantis has now surpassed Maui as the premier November Tournament. Im sure travel has a lot to do with that. Maui Is great, but Paradise Island/Atlantis In the Bahamas is a great place as well, and It’s about 10-12 hours closer for most schools.

Of the 3 times we played in this event, this was probably our best showing. In 2015 we went 1/3, in 2011 we won 2/3 but had a real bad loss to UCF. This year we obviously won 2/3 and our only loss was vs MSU. With the way people are reacting, you would think the guys are coming home off a winless trip…

Reaction Score
VCU will not
People on this board like to live in magic world, so the fact VCU is an A-10 team with a 3-4 record, 2 quad 3 losses already on their resume, and a small number of chances for real quality wins going forward is irrelevant. They looked solid against us, so they’re going to make the tournament lol.

They would need a dominant season going forward to make the tournament. Hopefully they‘ll stay in the top 100 and be a quad 2 win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom