So Jeff Jacobs call out the NBA Alums... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So Jeff Jacobs call out the NBA Alums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that it is great that the guys want to come back to the program, scrimmage, hang out with their old coaches and buds, present themselves to recruits, advise current players, play in golf tourneys to raise money, and in general be worshipped on their old college campus. It just seems that coming back to the program while greatly appreciated by all is fun for them and what they want to do, not some kind of burden or sacrifice that would have Jim Calhoun telling them as a reason not to donate to the program. I can't imagine him telling them to close their wallets to UCONN. Their lack of donation makes this subject touchy and Jacobs has rightly struck a raw nerve. I would think he looked hard for extenuating reasons but didn't find them so far. Not saying these guys have not been charitable to other causes but tell me that UCONN fans would not feel better if their names were on that list?

Reaction Score
And I can see some are here to throw stones without any facts either!.....I think it's been fairly obvious to all of us over the years you can be very supportive to UConn basketball and it's surroundings/family without directly dropping a mil on the basketball center. Unless someone tells me otherwise I like our guys and view them as very thoughtful and proud. This sudden need to throw daggers amazes me!

To be fair UConn should have seen this coming and nipped it in the bud. They didn't and questions are going to be asked. Is what it is.

Reaction Score
First off, I agree that we can't tell anyone how to spend their money. But every other big program that's built a facility like this has gotten donations from their NBA alums. Big donations. And UConn has had more successful NBA players than almost every other school as evidenced by the almost $1 billion in career NBA earnings. And all of them seem to still have a rooting interest in the program as evidenced by the showing of NBA alums at the 2011 and 2014 Final Fours. None of them contributed? I just find that impossible to believe.

Are they waiting to announce the locker room addition for the NBA alums and the last $5.5 million of donations from the NBA alums? Could be.

And to straighten out the people who believe Calhoun said he didn't think the NBA alums should contribute. Yes, he did mention that early on when UConn first announced they were going to build this facility. But then he must have changed his mind. See this article, which is the last time I remember him commenting on this topic. So with all this I just find it impossible to believe all these NBA alums didn't donate.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-huskies-not-planning-name-center-jim-calhoun

From October 2012:

Calhoun, 70, retired as coach last month, after a 40-year career that included 26 seasons at Connecticut, three national championships and induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is raising money for the center as part of his new job as a special assistant to Manuel.

He said he will be visiting NBA training camps this fall and plans to ask former UConn players for their help with the center, which he said will also celebrate the history of Husky basketball.

"Some of the kids have expressed some interest, and those who haven't are going to become more interested," Calhoun said.

Calhoun said he's talked to planners about including a locker room just for basketball alumni, who will be able to use the facility.

"That in turn, in my opinion, will keep, five years, 10 years, 20, down the line, all those guys connected," he said. "And as guys graduate and go on to their careers, obviously they will be able to do more -- maybe one guy will want a room named after him, et cetera."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's the thing: Can't tell anyone how to spend their money - but if someone is going to tell some pretty rich fellas how to not spend theirs... good luck the next time you ask me.

Reaction Score
What helps the program more?

A slew of former UConn players saying positive things about the program onwhere recruits are likely to see/hear them (post game interviews, social media, ESPN, etc)? Or putting their name on a donation board somewhere?

The ideal answer is probably both but if they can help the university in one way and their communities another, then I don't see the problem.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It was no secret that while Hathaway was in charge (and nothing of substance had been raised towards the practice facility) that JC was adamant that he did not want his players contributing, allowing JH to take credit for something he put no effort in (fundraising for the new facility).

I don't know what happened afterwards but this isn't a situation where there will no longer be fundraising required by the school (or athletic department). There will be many opportunities for NBA players to do something (with or without attention).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
1. UConn PR isn't JJ's job.
2. In what world is everyone cool with someone possibly discouraging donations to UConn? Specifically, someone who is paid a high salary in a semi-fundraising role? How does that make sense to anyone?
1). It isn't JJ's job. But his article isn't balanced because he's not pointing out all the positives that the players are doing with their charitable endeavors. And that one sided presentation damages the players and JC's reputation. In this forum people are presenting balanced arguments, albeit in multiple posts. I have no problem with people agreeing with JJ. What people may not be realizing is that in their support for JJ, they are inadvertently condemning the players and JC. I don't see any transgression on the part of the players over this issue to join in this bandwagon. The players won't be changing their minds as long as JC holds firm, so joining the JJ bandwagon will only be detrimental to the very thing we are passionate about. We are just piling on the damage. That seems illogical to me!

2.)Not everyone is cool with JC's decision obviously. I can go either way with this discussion because I understand the framework of the various points of view. I would guess that the majority in the Boneyard either cannot understand JC and/or have an unfavorable position regarding his point of view. I would guess that the majority of non passionate fans or non sports fans would be puzzled/and or have a favorable view.

Why the dichotomy? Because most of us have loyalties to that which we are most connected. It is alien for us to think of the kid starving in Zimbobwe to the same degree as someone in our family. We may care about Alzheimers but it becomes personal if someone we are close to develops this affliction. It isn't necessarily that people aren't caring. It just becomes overwhelming for us to think about all the problems in the world, so we become selective.

Why the puzzlement? JC has taken the position that athletes at any school contribute far more to the university than they are compensated. We've debated this point of view, minus JC's position, many times in these forums, with some arguing the players are getting a free ride and that is enough compensation, to those who feel the compensation is inadequate. It comes down to how we value things. There never will be an agreement regarding the value of people.

Nonetheless it is an odd viewpoint on the part of JC to have the guys who have the extra income not offer some of the monies to a cause that would help the players who have are not receiving "adequate compensation" as students. It seems illogical. But is it? Most of us frame things selectively. Hence all the arguments over any issue. Each and every one of us has a different set of factors supporting our opinion and each and every one of us weighs them differently. JC has decided that his athletes have contributed enough and it would be wrong for them, and us, not to acknowledge that. By contributing, or demanding they contribute to the bb program, it would be a statement that their contributions were inadequate.

Edit: Didn't see @HooperScooper's post before. It appears someone (President Herbst?) has changed JC's stance because that article shows a change of position. I expect big contributions are forthcoming making all these posts redundant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bottom line, there are those who feel because UCONN is the place they made their home and made their names they owe something back. I would love to see all the more financially qualified guys donate to the new hoops building but by no means will I judge them for what they think is the right thing to do with their money.

And as a side note, big side note, they made UConn what it is not visa versa. They are the one's who brought us all of this happiness, all of this excitement leading into each and every season. And now you want more?:rolleyes:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
First off, I agree that we can't tell anyone how to spend their money. But every other big program that's built a facility like this has gotten donations from their NBA alums. Big donations. And UConn has had more successful NBA players than almost every other school as evidenced by the almost $1 billion in career NBA earnings. And all of them seem to still have a rooting interest in the program as evidenced by the showing of NBA alums at the 2011 and 2014 Final Fours. None of them contributed? I just find that impossible to believe.

Are they waiting to announce the locker room addition for the NBA alums and the last $5.5 million of donations from the NBA alums? Could be.

And to straighten out the people who believe Calhoun said he didn't think the NBA alums should contribute. Yes, he did mention that early on when UConn first announced they were going to build this facility. But then he must have changed his mind. See this article, which is the last time I remember him commenting on this topic. So with all this I just find it impossible to believe all these NBA alums didn't donate.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-huskies-not-planning-name-center-jim-calhoun

From October 2012:

Calhoun, 70, retired as coach last month, after a 40-year career that included 26 seasons at Connecticut, three national championships and induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is raising money for the center as part of his new job as a special assistant to Manuel.

He said he will be visiting NBA training camps this fall and plans to ask former UConn players for their help with the center, which he said will also celebrate the history of Husky basketball.

"Some of the kids have expressed some interest, and those who haven't are going to become more interested," Calhoun said.

Calhoun said he's talked to planners about including a locker room just for basketball alumni, who will be able to use the facility.

"That in turn, in my opinion, will keep, five years, 10 years, 20, down the line, all those guys connected," he said. "And as guys graduate and go on to their careers, obviously they will be able to do more -- maybe one guy will want a room named after him, et cetera."
Didn't see this! Wish I did. My post just prior to this one was missing this important piece.

I agree with you. The players will be making a major contribution in the near future.

You know what will happen then. There will be a debate over whether the players should have made the contribution sooner to avoid this negative publicity. :cool:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I have graduated from UConn as have my brother and sister. My son will be graduating from UConn next spring. I have been a basketball season ticket holder from 1985 and a football season ticket holder from 1998. Been to Notre dame , Michigan , Maryland, Army and Charlotte for away football games ( just to name a few) . I named my cat Calhoun.

My point being ( A Calhoun favorite saying) is that I love UConn sports and bleed American Flag blue. But it bothers me to no end that these UConn NBA alumni have not donated back to their university. Make up all the excuses you want ( behind the scenes work, volunteerism, helped in other ways) , to me it is a bunch of BS.

Many people with less means and less ties to the university have stepped up and to have none ( Steve Pikiell excluded) of our past players help is beyond ridiculous.

Unless someone proves that these players have done things behind the scenes or anonymously that make up for this, it is a total embarrassment. Hope I am proven wrong on this.
Someone needs to prove to you that they donated anonymously?

Reaction Score
Travis Knight's 22mil came courtesy of Celtics Pres Rick Pitino, who in such a short span ruined the C's and then walked out on them in Mid year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It was no secret that while Hathaway was in charge (and nothing of substance had been raised towards the practice facility) that JC was adamant that he did not want his players contributing, allowing JH to take credit for something he put no effort in (fundraising for the new facility).

I don't know what happened afterwards but this isn't a situation where there will no longer be fundraising required by the school (or athletic department). There will be many opportunities for NBA players to do something (with or without attention).

I would love to see the sealed report on Hathaway. It would clear up a lot of the things most of us have to conjecture.

Josh Nochimson burned Rip prior to the Nate Miles situation. Rip goes on record that he discussed this with JC when it happened. JC goes to the compliance department to offer concerns about Miles. The compliance department was gutted by Hathaway. He's handling things primarily on his own. So now it becomes his word vs. JC's. At the very least he was negligent in dismissing people from that department. And more than likely he was on a mission to sabotage JC. So he was able to throw JC under the bus in the NCAA investigation, and he had a sympathetic person in the NCAA in Mark Emmert.

Put this all together and there is no way Rip was going to contribute. And most likely all the players were familiar with this as well.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
And I can see some are here to throw stones without any facts either!.....I think it's been fairly obvious to all of us over the years you can be very supportive to UConn basketball and it's surroundings/family without directly dropping a mil on the basketball center. Unless someone tells me otherwise I like our guys and view them as very thoughtful and proud. This sudden need to throw daggers amazes me!

I'm not throwing daggers Mau. Just asking questions.
I think our NBA guys are about the classiest that exist. I find it odd that every single one of them received the letter Sue Bird received and decided not to give (except KO) Especially odd when they all seem to have great relationships with UCONN and the coaching staff.

Another legitimate question: Did Calhoun donate? Has Calhoun made it clear that his former players' help was needed to impress donors but not to give? We don't know but there is certainly room for a question.

It wouldn't change our players or Calhoun's accomplishments but it certainly would have been a PR blunder that will make future fundraising harder including the $5.5 million.

Reaction Score
Feels that they should ante up en masse to pay the balance of the bill for the Werth Center. He always has an angle.
The NBA alums performance on the court at Uconn is priceless, without every single one of them it wouldn't be called the "champions center" How much more can we ask, they made the program what it is, they've put in their time and effort. Let em live Jeff

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think that it is great that the guys want to come back to the program, scrimmage, hang out with their old coaches and buds, present themselves to recruits, advise current players, play in golf tourneys to raise money, and in general be worshipped on their old college campus. It just seems that coming back to the program while greatly appreciated by all is fun for them and what they want to do, not some kind of burden or sacrifice that would have Jim Calhoun telling them as a reason not to donate to the program. I can't imagine him telling them to close their wallets to UCONN. Their lack of donation makes this subject touchy and Jacobs has rightly struck a raw nerve. I would think he looked hard for extenuating reasons but didn't find them so far. Not saying these guys have not been charitable to other causes but tell me that UCONN fans would not feel better if their names were on that list?

Not sure what you mean here. Because they have fun with it means their contribution doesn't hold as much value, ostensibly because it is not a sacrifice? I help out mentoring young people and always have a fantastic good time with the kids. That doesn't make the value of the contribution any less than if I were not enjoying it or doing back breaking work.

Reaction Score
Truth is, not giving back defines who they are. KO gave back in many ways including money,
And showed what a class he is.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean here. Because they have fun with it means their contribution doesn't hold as much value, ostensibly because it is not a sacrifice? I help out mentoring young people and always have a fantastic good time with the kids. That doesn't make the value of the contribution any less than if I were not enjoying it or doing back breaking work.

First, we don't know the whole story here so we shouldn't knock anyone yet (don't mean that for you intl).
But...
if you are saying there is no difference between showing up at a fundraiser,having you transportation paid, limo to greet you, top hotel, play golf with potential donors and old friends, be wined and dined, get a gift bag of stuff for your troubles than writing a check, I disagree. I'd be much happier signing up for the former but unfortunately my presence does nothing to get people to open their wallets.
These are wealthy, busy guys. It is great that they show up and the perks mean a lot less to them than they would for me. I greatly appreciate that they do what they do. But I still hope they wrote / will write a check.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No one is diminishing what they contributed in the past. But simply : if you care about the future of the university, if you have the means - you donate. It doesn't have to be monetary, although that sure is nice. That's anyone, NBA or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom