So is the real Omar finally back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So is the real Omar finally back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
D-Ham is the only one who I've seen who has issues pulling the trigger from deep. Purvis just has a very slow release, so he needs more room to shoot than most. Gibbs and Omar shoot pretty much every chance they get; in fact, the last few games have been the first in awhile where Omar has actually held the ball when catching it from deep and he's become much more well-rounded as a player. He still doesn't have trouble pulling the trigger when it's a good time to take a three though.

hmm, I've definitely noticed Gibbs not shooting on occasions and me thinking, WTF? Usually when he's cold.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
hmm, I've definitely noticed Gibbs not shooting on occasions and me thinking, WTF? Usually when he's cold.

I can't recall myself, but you could be right. I'm thinking mostly of situations where he's wide open.

Reaction Score
I'd say hamilton is the worst offender of the bunch, and omar is our best catch n shoot unconscious kind of shooter. Hamilton, i have no clue why he pump fakes the way he does some times...
Agree 100% that Hamilton is our most frequent & flagrant offender on this particular issue.

The reason he does it is because he's a star player who's always been able to use pump fakes to clear his defender a few feet, which then gives him enough room to put the ball on the floor and drive. High school kids fall for that, and college kids largely don't.

What he's yet to really grasp is that the natural flow of the offense does more work in creating openings than individual skill. Watch Hamilton catch the ball with the defender trailing the play, and instead of immediately exploiting the space via shot or straight-line drive, he'll stop the ball and let the defense reset. It makes me insane.

He does this because he's spent much more of his life with the ball in his hands attacking a static defense than he's spent without the ball as a cog in a machine, hitting gaps in a scrambling defense as the ball flies around the floor. He doesn't really know how to do that yet, and it's not instinct. The same goes, to a lesser extent, for Gibbs, Omar and Purvis.

So as was said above, it's basically reflex. Now it becomes Ollie's job to coach it out of them and teach them all a little bit of what Ray and Rip had.

The good news is that we've seen promising flashes. The bad news is that if we'd had more than just flashes, we'd be 10-1 right now.

Oh well.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% that Hamilton is our most frequent & flagrant offender on this particular issue.

The reason he does it is because he's a star player who's always been able to use pump fakes to clear his defender a few feet, which then gives him enough room to put the ball on the floor and drive. High school kids fall for that, and college kids largely don't.

What he's yet to really grasp is that the natural flow of the offense does more work in creating openings than individual skill. Watch Hamilton catch the ball with the defender trailing the play, and instead of immediately exploiting the space via shot or straight-line drive, he'll stop the ball and let the defense reset. It makes me insane.

He does this because he's spent much more of his life with the ball in his hands attacking a static defense than he's spent without the ball as a cog in a machine, hitting gaps in a scrambling defense as the ball flies around the floor. He doesn't really know how to do that yet, and it's not instinct. The same goes, to a lesser extent, for Gibbs, Omar and Purvis.

So as was said above, it's basically reflex. Now it becomes Ollie's job to coach it out of them and teach them all a little bit of what Ray and Rip had.

The good news is that we've seen promising flashes. The bad news is that if we'd had more than just flashes, we'd be 10-1 right now.

Oh well.

Spot on

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I sure hope he is on the way back because we need the freshman Omar - not the injured/head not in the game Omar
I agree when folks here say Omar seems to bleed UConn because he shows it this year BUT I had doubts last year
I don't agree that he is one of the better defensive players - maybe up tight but in the open court and transition - no way
Offensively he looks like freshman Omar and that is all I can ask for
I hope he gets better and better and contends for meaningful minutes by scoring

Reaction Score
Omar's line kinda stunk last night, but i still thought he played well. He looked comfortable with the ball and he picked good spots to drive. He got blicked late, but it was a good dhot and a good block. I'm not sure what happened in the last month. He actually looks like a competent basketball player.

Reaction Score
Omar's line kinda stunk last night, but i still thought he played well. He looked comfortable with the ball and he picked good spots to drive. He got blicked late, but it was a good dhot and a good block. I'm not sure what happened in the last month. He actually looks like a competent basketball player.

Omar will have his games, last night was not one of them hence less minutes. That's his role, all good!

Reaction Score

I thought Omar had a few 'coach on the floor' moments last night. Once he aggressively demanded the ball on the wing, not so he could jack a 3, but so he could feed Miller in the post. He also got into guys about defense a few times. He's really matured into the role of solid veteran off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom