So I'm reading through the Sporting News Cball preview.... | The Boneyard

So I'm reading through the Sporting News Cball preview....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn't buy the preview guides last year because UConn was going to have a lousy year and I was in no mood to immerse myself in that impending disaster. Funny how that worked out, eh?

Anywho, whoever put the preview of the Big East together threw in some superlatives.

Some of them were fine, some were iffy, some were off the wall and some were what-the-duck*-is-wrong-with-this-guy bad.

Best Athlete - J.J. Moore. (Um, huh?) He's described as a 'dynamic player in the open court' and 'one of the best dunkers in the conference'. On the other hand, he sucks. I doubt he had more than a dunk or two in crap time during conference play as he might have averaged three or four minutes per game. The 'best athlete' in the conference spent most of the year pinning a bench to the floor with his ass.

Best Leader - Truck Bryant. Truck "Suspended Indefinitely" Bryant. If West Virginia ever needs to be lead from the scene of an accident, then yes, I agree. Otherwise, no.

Best Passer - Scoop Jardine. I don't completely disagree, but he has to scare Boeheim to death in must-win games. He scares me and I'm not even a Syracuse fan.

Best Recruiter - Steve Lavin. This is where I wonder what the duck* is wrong with the author. Jim Calhoun? Jim Boeheim? Rick Pitino? No. Steven Lavin. Not to kick a myth when its down, but just perusing through ESPN's 2011 top 100....

I see UConn has the #2 and #74 player, plus DeAndre Daniels. Dunno where they ranked him, but he would certainly seem to be top 25. Syracuse has two top 20 types and then Cooney in the mid-60's. Pitino has a few top 30 players, a top 60 player and then Kevin Ware, if he qualifies.

Now, the conference's "top" recruiter, Lavin, has #25 Dom Pointer, #32 Jakarr Simpson, #39 Mo Harkless, #64 D'Angelo Harrison, #77 Norvelle Pelle and #99 Amir Garrett. (Plus, some additional scrapple to fill out the roster.) Six top 100 players is certainly impressive, but there are no world beaters there.

And, now, we gotta scratch the academic casualties...there goes #32, #77 and #99. (It's Survivor, St. John's...we could have the recruits hand in their crayons before leaving the island.)

Top recruiter, indeed.

Reaction Score
Yep, and apparently the St. John's administration raising eyebrows about 3 recruits not being eligible. Nice work, Steve!!

Reaction Score
Lavin being rated the top recruiter after one recruiting class is a joke.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
18458.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He did recruit his wife, and she's pretty hot.

And people wonder why Lavin pulls down numbers. Slam dunk. Probably should throw an asterisk in there, with *Mary Jarou at the bottom of the list.

Reaction Score
You would think that during a period of time when there is nothing going on in college basketball (fans can thank UCONN later for the late addition of AD so they had something to talk about) this guy might have thought his piece through a little bit more. I will read almost anything about the BE these days- they could print it on a roll of toilet paper and I would read it while dropping kids off at the pool- this was a nearly total waste of time.

The Lavin and JJ Moore comments are so uninformed it makes you wonder where they find these people. How much do they get paid for writing these? Increase it to $100 and I will write it on the weekends for fun next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You would think that during a period of time when there is nothing going on in college basketball (fans can thank UCONN later for the late addition of AD so they had something to talk about) this guy might have thought his piece through a little bit more. I will read almost anything about the BE these days- they could print it on a roll of toilet paper and I would read it while dropping kids off at the pool- this was a nearly total waste of time.

The Lavin and JJ Moore comments are so uninformed it makes you wonder where they find these people. How much do they get paid for writing these? Increase it to $100 and I will write it on the weekends for fun next year.
anyone with a computer can be a writing hack. i'd love to see an equivalent article like that, but instead, written by Fishy. i'd almost pay good money to read that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom