So if you are Cav | The Boneyard

So if you are Cav

Reaction Score
What do you do in the net for
Thursday’s finale? I personally would play Huska as I feel he is just a better goalie and gives us the best chance to do damage. If he plays well go with him in playoffs. Of course this seems crazy as I type it because Creel has won 7 in a row! I just think he showed some of the weaknesses that made him a career backup last night.

Reaction Score
I agree to give Huska a game before the regular season is over. Creel has been great but also at the same time frustrating because he has made some unbelievable saves but also let in a few questionable goals. The guy has won seven in a row so logic says stay with him but I feel like Huska is the better goalie and should get a chance.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’d want Huska to be ready to play, if need be, in the playoffs. He should get the start. Creel still deserves to start in the HE playoffs, however.

Reaction Score
I agree Creel deserves to start. I just feel like Huska is clearly a better netminder and Creel has done his job but time to turn it back over to your #1 guy when the games are win or go home.

This is why it is difficult decision and will be interesting to see what Cav does.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I agree Creel deserves to start. I just feel like Huska is clearly a better netminder and Creel has done his job but time to turn it back over to your #1 guy when the games are win or go home.

This is why it is difficult decision and will be interesting to see what Cav does.
It’s truly a difficult decision. But hey, that’s why he gets paid the big bucks. I won’t second guess him either way. I trust him to know what is best for this group and for the kids to back him up with a good effort. No matter who’s in net.

Reaction Score
Creel.

Huska has been in goal for 5 HE wins all season. 8-14-2
.914 SV % 2.52 GAA

Creel has been in goal for 6 HE wins all season. 6 In a row. 7-2
.893 SV % 3.21 GAA

I'm surprised by those #'s.
UConn has started to score more goals since creel has been in there resulting in the wins.

Huska was part of the drought and 5 game losing streak after break.

Maybe they realized they have to work and try harder when creel is in there and it shows with goal and defense production.

I understand UConn may need huska for a wknd series especially if it goes 3 games.

If huska does get a shot, he should be on a short leash. If he gives up 2+ in a period, bring in and stay w/ Creel

IDK, a cold goalie that hasn't played in a month 1/12/18 and may have lingering wrist problems.

If he does play:
UMass : Huska
1st game : Creel
2nd game : Huska
3rd game : Creel

Reaction Score
Huska was part of the drought and 5 game losing streak after break.

To insinuate Huska was part of the problem for the way UConn started the second half is total bs. Go back and look at his numbers the 11 games prior to his wrist injury. He was one of the best goalies in the country during that span.

Reaction Score
To insinuate Huska was part of the problem for the way UConn started the second half is total bs. Go back and look at his numbers the 11 games prior to his wrist injury. He was one of the best goalies in the country during that span.

I didn't say he was part of the problem. I was just pointing out he was in goal. I should have used a different word. He was in there and I have no idea if their effort changed on either side of the ice depending on who was in goal.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’d have to agree. Huska wasn’t the problem, it was the complete lack of the offense to start the second half.

Reaction Score
I look at it this way...playoffs ramp up the effort as we have seen the past few seasons with UConn getting bounced by teams they have finished ahead of in the standing s and beat during the year. Huska is a much better goalie than Creel..Creel has the hot hand. If Creel plays the way he has going down and staying down flopping around things will get ugly quick. I have noticed a much more effort in attempting to block shots with Creel in net than they did with Huska. If Huska is at 100% he should get his job back.

Reaction Score
If you are starting Creel in game 1 of the playoffs do you want him to sit for 2 weeks with no games? If we were playing 2 this upcoming week I'd say split them. But I just don't know that you have Creel go 2 weeks with no action. I don't know. Creel can make great saves but him staying on his belly while two BU goals went in was a bit infuriating. If he can clean up his "belly game" he'd be on a hell of a run. His run is still pretty damn good.

However if Cav believes Huska is his game 1 goalie, then you obviously have Huska start on thurs.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
If you are starting Creel in game 1 of the playoffs do you want him to sit for 2 weeks with no games? If we were playing 2 this upcoming week I'd say split them. But I just don't know that you have Creel go 2 weeks with no action. I don't know. Creel can make great saves but him staying on his belly while two BU goals went in was a bit infuriating. If he can clean up his "belly game" he'd be on a hell of a run. His run is still pretty damn good.

However if Cav believes Huska is his game 1 goalie, then you obviously have Huska start on thurs.
The bellyflopping has to stop. He’s been solid otherwise. Has a great glove.

Reaction Score
The flopping and the there were a few bad goals the other night. He basically kicked one in, the first goal he was screened but I had perfect angle on it and he just was out of
position by a lot and gave up a full third of the net to his stick side. Also he is just small. Anyway I just feel as though Huska (assuming fully healthy) would be best chance to do damage in the playoffs.

That said, hats off to Creel because the season could have spun out of control when Huska got hurt. Also it’s such a tough decision that whatever direction he goes you can’t second guess it. Let’s go Huskies!!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The flopping and the there were a few bad goals the other night. He basically kicked one in, the first goal he was screened but I had perfect angle on it and he just was out of
position by a lot and gave up a full third of the net to his stick side. Also he is just small. Anyway I just feel as though Huska (assuming fully healthy) would be best chance to do damage in the playoffs.

That said, hats off to Creel because the season could have spun out of control when Huska got hurt. Also it’s such a tough decision that whatever direction he goes you can’t second guess it. Let’s go Huskies!!
Really quite understandable if he goes back to Huska. Either way, whoever starts, we have a competent backup going into the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I agree to give Huska a game before the regular season is over. Creel has been great but also at the same time frustrating because he has made some unbelievable saves but also let in a few questionable goals. The guy has won seven in a row so logic says stay with him but I feel like Huska is the better goalie and should get a chance.
He's given up some really bad goals. Creel seems to take a long time to get up when he's laying on the ice too. Huska needs to get some playing time.

Reaction Score
He's given up some really bad goals. Creel seems to take a long time to get up when he's laying on the ice too. Huska needs to get some playing time.
I agree, need a good Huska to win a second round series.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Although creel has seemingly had the hot hand during this win streak, I think it’s imperstive to get Huska some PT especially if they have a bye into the qtrs and won’t have a game for two weeks. Creek may have helped save the season, but the only chance we have of winning HE tourney is with a healthy Huska in net. JMO

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
It all depends on what Cav's definition of success is for this year and his main objective.

If the main objective is to win our programs first Hockey East postseason series, then Creel gives us the best chance to win the opening round. Given Huska's long layoff and Creel's hot hand, putting in Huska could be risky. The best chance to win round 1 is to have Creel in net.

But if the objective is to win the Hockey East tournament title, Huska gives us the best chance of doing that. The only way we have a realistic shot of winning the HE title is if Huska gets hot and can steal a game or two in Boston for us (which he is capable of when hot). But there is very little chance we win the HE title with Creel in net (he has too many lapses to beat the elite teams back-to-back in Boston).

So it all comes down to what Cav's main objective is. If it is progress for the program and winning weekend #1, then Creel is the man. If the objective is to make our first NCAA tournament appearance, then Huska is the man.

Just my opinion, but that is how I look at this decision. Let's see how Cav handles this one.

Reaction Score
I think your premise may have some validity. However if the goal is anything less than winning the league it is misdirected. All year long in conference games (even when we were having trouble scoring) we have been competitive even in losses. The top of the league is down, we are hot and quite frankly I think any team would have a little trepidation playing us right now.

Hockey lends itself to anything can happen particularly when the goalie is hot. So I run with Huska because I just have this feeling that Creel is about ready to return to his normal, and for those who watched him before this recent run that was marginal at best.

Reaction Score
I think your premise may have some validity. However if the goal is anything less than winning the league it is misdirected. All year long in conference games (even when we were having trouble scoring) we have been competitive even in losses. The top of the league is down, we are hot and quite frankly I think any team would have a little trepidation playing us right now.

Hockey lends itself to anything can happen particularly when the goalie is hot. So I run with Huska because I just have this feeling that Creel is about ready to return to his normal, and for those who watched him before this recent run that was marginal at best.
My issue with Creel’s play has been this..he goes down right away..may make 2nd save depending if he is not laying flat out on the ice..3rd save..not a chance cause he is sprawled out rolling around . That almost ended his run against BU...it will definitely become an issue in playoff hockey.

Reaction Score
What do you do in the net for
Thursday’s finale? I personally would play Huska as I feel he is just a better goalie and gives us the best chance to do damage. If he plays well go with him in playoffs. Of course this seems crazy as I type it because Creel has won 7 in a row! I just think he showed some of the weaknesses that made him a career backup last night.

Well, it's good problem to have!

I'd start Huska because he needs some live action before the playoffs. Maybe keep him on a short leash.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom