So, how do we match up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So, how do we match up

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me its how will OSU match up with UConn. First of all we have an advantage with our height. OSU will have to find a way to keep the ball out of Dorka and Aaliyahs hands. When they get the ball most likely they will be double teamed leaving someone open. That should be a problem. If Dorka and Aaliyah come outside that will open up the middle for pull ups and dribble drives. We have a rebounding advantage and we have better shooters. We also have Griff and Nika to guard their two top shooters which will make it very difficult for them to score so OSU may have to depend on somebody else to score. I see OSUs big getting in foul trouble fairly quickly with Dorka and Aaliyah down low.

UConn creates alot of problem for OSU. I would be very surprised if OSU shoots treys like Baylor did and we still won by 19. UConn is a balanced team with great players at every position. We have 3 really good shooters, we have height and great depth coming off the bench. OSU doesnt have the height and although they have some good shooters they dont have Azzi Lou and Caroline. Remember they are going to have a problem trying to get inside on UConn. UConn is big strong and athletic inside. Baylor Nova Creighton and St Johns found that out.

As far as OSUs press. We will be ready for it and when we beat it well our shooters should be wide open more then not. I dont see OSU shooting treys at the percentage that Baylor did. I dont see Aaliyah getting in early foul trouble either. We learned from that and Geno has prepared the team for that.

Ive got UConn by 20+ in this game. OSUs first regional and on the road and all the hoopla will be a distraction. UConns defense will do what it has been doing the last 4 games and that is shut down OSUs 2 top shooters. This could get ugly if UConn controls the game.

Reaction Score
Ohio State was outrebounded as a team in the regular season..........UConn has to establish its inside dominance early forcing the OSU defense to collapse allowing Azzi, Lou and Caroline the space to shoot threes..........if that strategy works UConn wins......

Reaction Score
For me its how will OSU match up with UConn. First of all we have an advantage with our height. OSU will have to find a way to keep the ball out of Dorka and Aaliyahs hands. When they get the ball most likely they will be double teamed leaving someone open. That should be a problem. If Dorka and Aaliyah come outside that will open up the middle for pull ups and dribble drives. We have a rebounding advantage and we have better shooters. We also have Griff and Nika to guard their two top shooters which will make it very difficult for them to score so OSU may have to depend on somebody else to score. I see OSUs big getting in foul trouble fairly quickly with Dorka and Aaliyah down low.

UConn creates alot of problem for OSU. I would be very surprised if OSU shoots treys like Baylor did and we still won by 19. UConn is a balanced team with great players at every position. We have 3 really good shooters, we have height and great depth coming off the bench. OSU doesnt have the height and although they have some good shooters they dont have Azzi Lou and Caroline. Remember they are going to have a problem trying to get inside on UConn. UConn is big strong and athletic inside. Baylor Nova Creighton and St Johns found that out.

As far as OSUs press. We will be ready for it and when we beat it well our shooters should be wide open more then not. I dont see OSU shooting treys at the percentage that Baylor did. I dont see Aaliyah getting in early foul trouble either. We learned from that and Geno has prepared the team for that.

Ive got UConn by 20+ in this game. OSUs first regional and on the road and all the hoopla will be a distraction. UConns defense will do what it has been doing the last 4 games and that is shut down OSUs 2 top shooters. This could get ugly if UConn controls the game.
I was thinking the same thing - what are THEIR weaknesses, and how we can exploit them. Good insights, thanks!

Do you know how well OSU has handled things when they're pressed full-court? Maybe Geno starts the game out with a healthy dose of their own medicine, we certainly have the athletes to make their lives miserable!

Reaction Score
As much as OSU likes to press, they aren't the best when pressed. Three words. STOP the ball. McMahon coming down court unobstructed places a lot of pressure on defenses.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score

Tonyc, I agree with your assessment, especially that UConn creates a lot of problems for OSU.

I think my approach to all of these tournament games is a little bit different from a lot of Boneyard posters. Said differently, I start with "what does the opponent have to do to adjust to the (new) Huskies?" And is it even possible at this stage of the season to make any significant adjustments? After all, Geno has said on numerous past occasions that, at this point in the season, the teams are who they are (my words, not his).

So, for tOSU, I ask myself what will Kevin McGuff try to do, knowing that he only has a few days to prepare his team to play against a Huskies team that is significantly different than what they have been for the past three months, and only provides his staff with a handful of games in which to develop a scouting report.

At the risk of receiving rebuke for looking past this next game, I think the above dilemma is what awaits Tennessee and South Carolina if we happen to meet up with them. Can you imagine Dawn Staley and Kellie Harper telling their teams, "I need you to forget what you experienced with UConn earlier in the season. Push it out of your brains, completely. Focus instead on what we are now providing you in the scout."

The same deliciously intriguing situation now faces the Buckeyes, albeit in a more secondhand manner: "Forget what you may have seen on TV or absorbed about UConn through the media pundits. Ignore what conclusions you have drawn over the course of the season, and concentrate solely on the scout!"

UConn is not just a problem because they are back (or are very close) to being a multi-option, experienced team peaking at the right time. They are also a problem because folks throughout the WBB universe have limited data points on which to assess and prepare for the next game.

How do players un-learn what their brains are telling them over the course of the past five months? They are not US Marines trained to improvise, adapt and overcome. A pretty big ask of teams at this point.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Ohio State will be similar to Baylor but not as much quickness. Against UCONN the press will cost them more layups than they will get turnovers if UCONN passes the ball instead of dribbling. UCONN is the best game planning team in the business and with a full menu of players they will be ready and they will eventually run Ohio State down and win comfortably if not a blowout.

The problem with a press in general is if you don't get the turnover you have to scramble back to get into your defense. Against UCONN that means you are scrambling back to cover Azzi, Lou, Caroline and Dorka on the 3pt line and AE in the paint. Azzi is slowly finding her range and Lou and Caroline are shooting lights out right now. In my opinion Ohio State will need to play tough half court defense and hit a bunch of threes to stay close the whole game.

Reaction Score
tOSU is a rich roster, with Sheldon, Mikesell, McMahon, Thierry, Green and Mikulasikova all averaging double figure scoring. Rikki Harris and Eboni Walker are also good utility players. This means they can go 8 deep and will often play 10. They aren't tall across the lineup, but they aren't short either -- a lot of 5'10'-6'0" players plus Mikulasikova at 6'4".

This tells me Aaliyah and Dorka will pose significant problems for them and we should own a significant rebounding advantage. Mikulasikova is no match for either of them on O or D.

The core of their non-transition offense comes from Sheldon and Mikesell on the perimeter and McMahon who brings energy and muscle to the inside game and has excellent post moves. But their offense is really enhanced by their pressing transition game. Stop that and they will seem pretty tame. Can we beat their press and even burn them on it? I think so, but it will take a significant contribution from Aubrey.

On defense, we need to face guard Mikesell, and that seem like a job for Azzi. We also need to shut down McMahon, and Aubrey and Caroline can manage this. Sheldon is a significant X-factor and Nika will have to do her best work here. Sheldon is quicker than Nika, and almost as tenacious. Almost.

But to me the keys are to take their press away -- Azzi, Nika, and Aaliyah and Dorka will do this just fine -- control Mikesell on the perimeter, and shut down McMahon. Do that and Sheldon won't matter so much. And if Azzi, Caroline and Lou find the range from 3, Aaliyah and Dorka will own the paint.

I think we got this, but it will be a challenge. We need a challenge.
Thanks nice analysis. The Russian 6/4 is a pretty good player. I wouldn't overlook her--and you didn't.
Uconn's most serious defect is TURN OVERS. A pressing defense may be more than UCWBB can take. However, pressing teams use a pattern and if coached on that pattern--it is beatable. Uconn is very quick on the "after made " basket take out---and race down the floor--tough to press. Nevertheless, pressing worries me.
Personally---I don't need a challenge, I'm getting to love blowouts.

Reaction Score
My one concern is Ohio States press. I’ve seen them down multiple times throughout the season and absolutely crank that press and put them selves back into games where they have had large deficits. They can score. I think our bigs are better in the half court and could be where the game is won.
I agree about the press. During the regular season, I thought UConn struggled against the press a few times (don't recall against which team(s)), so I hope that they are indeed practicing ways to break a press. tOSU has also made a couple of big comebacks this year, so they won't wilt if UConn builds a big lead. It will be important for the Huskies to maintain pressure on them till the final buzzer.

Reaction Score
Here is a summary of the key players. They essentially played 7 against UNC--i show that in the 4th column. The the full season states in the rest of the columns
View attachment 85524
Your Minutes column--says this PRESSING TEAM USE 7 players, as expected. Which means the energy use is spread over time. More rested players. Pretty high or extremely low shooting percentages and 3 percentages. If this is percent or decimals. I'm assuming Percentages---that means they are a GOOD shooting team
Thanks---excuse my lack of reading skills---I appreciate you working up this chart.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this thorough, thoughtful analysis. Their short rotation and pressing style makes me wonder whether they will lose steam in the second half, much as Baylor did. UConn, as always, is supremely conditioned even though quite nicked up.
I agree with the "lose steam". Three shooters, without being in condition, lose their legs in the 2nd halves. That hit Baylor, their 3's were short. Pressing takes conditioning and lots of very good players. Uconn, for the first time since January has bodies with game time> If they can't add to the score they can provide good relief. Inez has been getting more and more PT, Ayanna too. big plus this time of the year.

Reaction Score
Latest from Massey
Screenshot_20230322-142246_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
The opening line in Vegas is UCONN (-10). The over/ under is 145 total points.
I like the over with two high scoring teams.
This means something like 80-70 UConn. That’s more or less in line with my expectations.

Reaction Score
This means something like 80-70 UConn. That’s more or less in line with my expectations.
Mine too! And if UCONN easily breaks the Ohio State press, there will be many quick baskets.

Reaction Score
tOSU is a rich roster, with Sheldon, Mikesell, McMahon, Thierry, Green and Mikulasikova all averaging double figure scoring. Rikki Harris and Eboni Walker are also good utility players. This means they can go 8 deep and will often play 10. They aren't tall across the lineup, but they aren't short either -- a lot of 5'10'-6'0" players plus Mikulasikova at 6'4".

This tells me Aaliyah and Dorka will pose significant problems for them and we should own a significant rebounding advantage. Mikulasikova is no match for either of them on O or D.

The core of their non-transition offense comes from Sheldon and Mikesell on the perimeter and McMahon who brings energy and muscle to the inside game and has excellent post moves. But their offense is really enhanced by their pressing transition game. Stop that and they will seem pretty tame. Can we beat their press and even burn them on it? I think so, but it will take a significant contribution from Aubrey.

On defense, we need to face guard Mikesell, and that seem like a job for Azzi. We also need to shut down McMahon, and Aubrey and Caroline can manage this. Sheldon is a significant X-factor and Nika will have to do her best work here. Sheldon is quicker than Nika, and almost as tenacious. Almost.

But to me the keys are to take their press away -- Azzi, Nika, and Aaliyah and Dorka will do this just fine -- control Mikesell on the perimeter, and shut down McMahon. Do that and Sheldon won't matter so much. And if Azzi, Caroline and Lou find the range from 3, Aaliyah and Dorka will own the paint.

I think we got this, but it will be a challenge. We need a challenge.
Good assessment. I have the Big10 network where I live and have seen Ohio State play numerous times. I can make the answer easier. Tough team but if you can consistently beat their press and double teams, UConn will win.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont see OSU scoring over 65 pts against UConn. I dont see OSU holding UConn under 75 pts. I see UConn scoring over 80 and OSU scoring less then 65. If this becomes a track meet, and if UConn easily beats OSUs press it will be an early blow out. I dont see OSU slowing it down. We have a suffocating defense and 7 scorers who can put up alot of points. They can put up alot of points because they can create their own shots and play unselfish BB. Azzi Caroline Lou Dorka and Aaliyah can bust this game wide open. I dont see OSU slowing it UConn down. UConns height and athleticism down low will eat OSU up. Again OSU will not slow it down. Azzi Caroline and Lou well its gonna be fun to watch. OSU cant slow UConn down on defense because they lack size and their one big wont be able to handle Aaliyah and Dorka or either one on one. Can you imagine if Tenn beats Tech??? Dont forget NOVA won and IU lost so the upper bracket is wide open.

Reaction Score
My take is that we will handle their press. They will have trouble defending our bigs inside. Their inside scoring is not post ups, rather it is pretty athletic mid-sized forwards driving the lane. I think Aaliyah is quick enough to defend that and Dorka if she lays off the weaker perimeter shooters can do a pretty good job too.

For that reason I don't want to go small because they are, I want them to have to figure out how to defend our bigs down low. If they can't defend our bigs without double teaming, they won't be able to defend the perimeter either. When we are on defense, we can't leave the two guards open and Aaliyah and Dorka I believe can defend the interior without much help.

Reaction Score
I think Ohio State players are going to try to get Dorka and Aalyah in foul trouble early in the game. Ohio might have their players drive the ball to the basket any chance they get and attack our interior defense. Ohio Staye might also start playing the isolation game and try to get fouls on our post.

Reaction Score
I just had a thought. Couldn't Dorka know how Ohio state plays. And how coach might be looking at game plans. She did play there and any insight on players thoughts. Might
Never know.

Reaction Score
Juhasz was also effective breaking the press in some earlier games this year by parking in the middle of the court just across the time line and presenting a big target for the guards. This should be effective against Ohio State if they press a lot, especially since Dorka is a fine passer.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see the game in the Big 10 tourney where Iowa demolished tOSU?

Reaction Score
I looked at their stats posted on the scores page and it's amazing how close the stats are. Uconn has11 more baskets ,but OSU shot 89 more times. Uconn has 4 more free throws.OSU has 34 more 3's, but shot138 more attempts. OSU has scored 9 more points for the season. Uconn has 252 more rebounds than OSU.Uconn has more blocks and OSU has more steals. Where we are most different is in TOs, UCONN has 112 more. Looking at these statistics, I say it favors Uconn where it counts. 20 point win!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
The opening line in Vegas is UCONN (-10). The over/ under is 145 total points.
I like the over with two high scoring teams.
Love your post, but I have one correction: ONE high scoring team: UCONN, as they are equally skilled on the defensive end of the court - that feeds the offense... Everybody Eats on Saturday! One play at a time, one game at a time, and everything else will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
As far as the press, my brain immediately goes to 2016 Syracuse...... Maybe bring out some old tape and show how Stewie, Tuck, and MoJeff broke the Syracuse press...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom