So far...this Looks a lot like last year! (Trouble) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So far...this Looks a lot like last year! (Trouble)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Trouble? Right here in River City?! :eek:

Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.

Ok, so maybe that song doesn't map exactly. Maybe sub "turnovers" for pool table...

Reaction Score
True Championship talent is "how can you win when it's a bad day." Many posters stated some real points about several players having an off day. I have never, ever, seen a National level, World Class, or All-Pro athlete have a 100% season with no off days.
However, the Champions still find a way to win. Geno was happy because they found a way by fighting through the physical play, fatigue, and the off day.
Texas should be a little depressed today. They were playing a team that was on the road for 4-5 days. They had a home game with some homer calls (too inconsistent for my taste.) They came out blazing and shot the lights out. They got a 10 point lead (I forget the exact largest lead they had.) They have 10 McD AA to draw on. They have several bigs who could push around UConn. AND THEY LOST!
Geno saw all this and was happy that his team handled the stressful situation. Geno loves putting his team in stressful situations.
Champs win on the bad days too.
GREAT POST, PhillyCoach. Your sentiments encompass what's good about sports and basketball in particular.

Reaction Score
Trouble? Right here in River City?! :eek:

Well, either you're closing your eyes
To a situation you do not wish to acknowledge
Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
By the presence of a pool table in your community.

Ok, so maybe that song doesn't map exactly. Maybe sub "turnovers" for pool table...
you wish, Orangutan. UConn has a good and deep bench. Why they aren't developing and using it, is anyone's guess.

But the storm that's coming from the state of TX (UofT and Baylor) will be hitting everyone, including you folks, as the bigs, with increasing talent and skill sets, continue to concentrate in the South.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Reading the posts in all the threads last nite exposed some of our weakness's which will be worked on. Bottom line we found a way to win just like against we did against ND. With all the things that went wrong for various reasons last nite we won.....on the road......against a team that played the game of the year for them. Texas hung in and alot of that had to do with UConn being in foul trouble. When your in foul trouble your almost defenseless because of the fouls and no bench play.

Texas shot 43% and a couple of their players who were having poor seasons came alive. Texas shot 24% from 3 and 57% from the line. Texas was able to get the ball down and dribble drive because UConn was in foul trouble. UConn shot 49% and 40% from 3 and 89% from the line, under pressure, in a tight game on the road. IMO not too bad. The fouls bother me for no other reason then UConn doesnt foul but tonite on the road, fouls happened and a few of those fouls I disagree with making it difficult for UConn to play defense. Texas was physical and beating UConn up just ask Lou.

The best thing you can take away from last nite was UConn didnt play their A game and Texas played their best game of the season at home infront of a huge crowd and UConn won. How good does that make UConn?

There are things Geno needs to work with the team on and he admitted that. We need the non starters to become part of the play time every game. We are very very talented, we can win close games and we have balance, but we dont have any room for foul trouble which means we need our non starters to contribute. The next 5 games are conference games and should give everybody else a chance for playtime. I am looking forward to Thursday nites game. I am also looking forward to Texas and Lvilles next tuff game. Texas plays Baylor on Saturday. Louisville plays Florida St on Sunday Tennessee plays ND on Thursday and Miss St on Sunday. Should be an exciting weekend.

One last point. We UConn fans are spoiled by winning every game by double digits. We blow almost every team out. This team is really good and hasnt blown every body out. Theyve had a few close games and won. Dont forget we had a Superstar in Stewie and height with Stewie and Tuck. We were able to blow teams out because of them. This team is special with balance. With the addition of Z underneath we have Collier and Gabby away from the basket and it takes time to adjust and build confidence in their outside shot for not other reason the they arent usually out there.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yep, @PhillyCoach nailed it.

It's really, really tough to play a top-10 team on the road in front of a crowd of 11,000+. UConn got in a hole early and successfully clawed their way back into the game and ultimately won. That's a fantastic result.

Sure, there are things to work on but nobody, not even past UConn teams, have achieved perfection on a basketball court. Geno will use the information gained here to work out some of those kinks.

This team doesn't have a Taurasi or a Maya or a Stewie (KLS is great but not quite in that stratosphere, imo) so they have a little less margin for error than some past dominant UConn squads. Nonetheless, they remain the overwhelming National Championship favorite.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
you wish, Orangutan. UConn has a good and deep bench. Why they aren't developing and using it, is anyone's guess.

But the storm that's coming from the state of TX (UofT and Baylor) will be hitting everyone, including you folks, as the bigs, with increasing talent and skill sets, continue to concentrate in the South.

Honestly, the sole point of that post was the Music Man reference.

On topic, I will say that I'm surprised Megan Walker isn't getting more run. I realize I saw her two best games but she has absolutely looked every bit the #1 recruit in the country when I've watched her. But at this point I do not second guess Geno.

Yes, it's infuriating that such an outsized proportion of the top bigs (and plenty of fine guards) come from Texas. We're all going to be dealing with Texas and Baylor in the top 10 for some time.

Reaction Score
True Championship talent is "how can you win when it's a bad day." Many posters stated some real points about several players having an off day. I have never, ever, seen a National level, World Class, or All-Pro athlete have a 100% season with no off days.
However, the Champions still find a way to win. Geno was happy because they found a way by fighting through the physical play, fatigue, and the off day.
Texas should be a little depressed today. They were playing a team that was on the road for 4-5 days. They had a home game with some homer calls (too inconsistent for my taste.) They came out blazing and shot the lights out. They got a 10 point lead (I forget the exact largest lead they had.) They have 10 McD AA to draw on. They have several bigs who could push around UConn. AND THEY LOST!
Geno saw all this and was happy that his team handled the stressful situation. Geno loves putting his team in stressful situations.
Thank you for bringing a level of sanity into this "discussion!" All this hand wringing in the wake of a gritty road victory against a VERY talented team is laughable. As most championship-caliber teams do, UConn found a way to win under tough circumstances despite having something of an off-night shooting. But the fact is that all of us who love and appreciate this game should be thankful that other programs are getting closer to UConn. It's great for the game. If winning a championship means doing so against inferior talent, what meaning does that accomplishment carry? Is UConn an outstanding team? Clearly! Is it perfect, and therefore unbeatable? Not only is the answer no, but sports would not be sports in any area that boasts such a team. Fans today freak out at the very thought of a regular-season loss in a long basketball campaign. That's totally unrealistic conceptually, and only exists in the realm of possibility in regard to those rare programs, like this one, that have spoiled its fans with a few examples of that amazing phenomenon. So, even UConn has demonstrated that, good as it is, there is room for improvement and there are things yet upon which to work...duh?? Let others whine. I'm as confident as ever that this team is on an inevitable march to Championship Number Twelve...that's twelve with, as Lawrence Welk used to say, "with a one anna two!"

Reaction Score
They still have time to work out the issues. But my post was a current snapshot about what they’ve looked like so far. Yes they can still win the Chip...but they are far more vulnerable than I thought they would be because the same issues exist.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Maybe some context would help this post. All points have a degree of truth but likely only for the Championship. We saw a TX coach some have criticized develop a brilliant strategy that may have worked if her team was in better shape. Geno typically uses these games to learn and what he saw was that quick guards can drive the lane (issue last year as well), UConn struggles with big, physical post players (issue last year), and Gabby struggles when exclusively out on the key on offense. Likely not news to Geno.
You make some good points. Let me add to the context:
A concern going in was that Texas has two outstanding senior guards. A lot of teams are not going to be able to keep Brooke McCarty in front of them. And Atkins looks to be terrific at creating her own shot. While it might be true that UConn has shortcomings guarding the dribble-drive, I don't think this game is a good measure of that.

Also, the 14-15 team was highly criticized by the whole world it seemed for this shortcoming. That team turned out pretty good. (Of course, it started four All-Americans and had seven WNBA-caliber players, which helps.)

So I'm taking the OP's #2 with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
Thank you for bringing a level of sanity into this "discussion!" All this hand wringing in the wake of a gritty road victory against a VERY talented team is laughable. As most championship-caliber teams do, UConn found a way to win under tough circumstances despite having something of an off-night shooting. But the fact is that all of us who love and appreciate this game should be thankful that other programs are getting closer to UConn. It's great for the game. If winning a championship means doing so against inferior talent, what meaning does that accomplishment carry? Is UConn an outstanding team? Clearly! Is it perfect, and therefore unbeatable? Not only is the answer no, but sports would not be sports in any area that boasts such a team. Fans today freak out at the very thought of a regular-season loss in a long basketball campaign. That's totally unrealistic conceptually, and only exists in the realm of possibility in regard to those rare programs, like this one, that have spoiled its fans with a few examples of that amazing phenomenon. So, even UConn has demonstrated that, good as it is, there is room for improvement and there are things yet upon which to work...duh?? Let others whine. I'm as confident as ever that this team is on an inevitable march to Championship Number Twelve...that's twelve with, as Lawrence Welk used to say, "with a one anna two!"

This.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

THIS. Very good post. Maybe I am forgetting but was there this much ado about nothing when Stewie et al lost at Stanford? This reminded me of that game. A lot of things going for the opposing team and not for Uconn, difference was, you actually won, which I think is probably what Philly is referring to when Geno seemed pleased. You passed a test. You passed the test earlier than last year, which could bring dividends down the road. Sure, there are things to work on like Stevens defense for example, which even if it improves just a little, will just make it that much harder for the opposition. I honestly can't think of a team that could stop a pick and roll with KLS and Stevens, either could score and if they draw all the D, there would be lots of open looks around the court. I would feel pretty good coming out with a win from that game. BTW it was great to watch for us.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
THIS. Very good post. Maybe I am forgetting but was there this much ado about nothing when Stewie et al lost at Stanford? This reminded me of that game. A lot of things going for the opposing team and not for Uconn, difference was, you actually won, which I think is probably what Philly is referring to when Geno seemed pleased. You passed a test. You passed the test earlier than last year, which could bring dividends down the road. Sure, there are things to work on like Stevens defense for example, which even if it improves just a little, will just make it that much harder for the opposition. I honestly can't think of a team that could stop a pick and roll with KLS and Stevens, either could score and if they draw all the D, there would be lots of open looks around the court. I would feel pretty good coming out with a win from that game. BTW it was great to watch for us.

Exactly. Geno said last night he wishes his team could play 15 more games like that. Fun for the players and fun for him.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm at sea; wireless not of sufficient strength, did not see the game.
Therefore my comments are not indicative of direct observations, rather past trends seemingly repeating themselves.

For all of Geno's extraordinary record he has had players that have resisted his style of coaching and/or did not thrive in it. He also has a chronic distrust of freshmen and a process that involves (speculation here) smacking them down/later building them back up in his image.

Several years ago, I took issue with the way he initially handled Moriah. It was my view that if she was handled more gently with a more positive approach (no absolute proof that she wasn't) the mini-monster, stealing machine, fast break demoralizer and penetrator to the trees, would have been available in her freshman year.
Her father as much said so and video of her high school efforts seem to indicate all the stuff that we grew to love so much.

Many disagreed.

Interestingly, during that season it was Morgan (the most stoic and confident of the big-3) who thrived when she was not hurt...almost singlehandedly winning the overtime loss to ND, much in the way that CD did in the winning effort against Baylor.

But of course Stewie (who had struggled mightily in the middle of that season and had been told by an exasperated Geno (at least that's the impression he gave ) in public .....to figure it out herself...and she did (maybe not by herself) and the rest is history. After the ND semi-final, there was no way that team could have been taken and they rolled.

So now we come to 2018, Batouly is injured, another (talented) kid left and Geno has little faith in the rest. I grant you that the soph reserves have not developed enough to be useful in a competitive game...but that leaves three award winning frosh from which group Geno has to find at least one and possible two to assist this team from physical and mental exhaustion in crunch time.

And is it possible that even Pheesa's mini-slump has to do with the tough love manner in which she has been coached from the start of this season and that she is not responding positively to it.

What I am saying is that it is possible that "La Methode" may suit some better than others and that some flexibility might bring even better results especially with the youngest.

I am not definitively saying that my supposition is absolutely correct...but as a variant of the issue noted above persists seemingly season after season, there may be something to it.

But of course, my detractors will say...there is the record...For which I can only reply that it is unlikely that we can go all the way with just 6; even 7 and that it may be possible to develop new approaches in getting the talented frosh, game ready

Reaction Score
I'm at sea; wireless not of sufficient strength, did not see the game.
Therefore my comments are not indicative of direct observations, rather past trends seemingly repeating themselves.

For all of Geno's extraordinary record he has had players that have resisted his style of coaching and/or did not thrive in it. He also has a chronic distrust of freshmen and a process that involves (speculation here) smacking them down/later building them back up in his image.

Several years ago, I took issue with the way he initially handled Moriah. It was my view that if she was handled more gently with a more positive approach (no absolute proof that she wasn't) the mini-monster, stealing machine, fast break demoralizer and penetrator to the trees, would have been available in her freshman year.
Her father as much said so and video of her high school efforts seem to indicate all the stuff that we grew to love so much.

Many disagreed.

Interestingly, during that season it was Morgan (the most stoic and confident of the big-3) who thrived when she was not hurt...almost singlehandedly winning the overtime loss to ND, much in the way that CD did in the winning effort against Baylor.

But of course Stewie (who had struggled mightily in the middle of that season and had been told by an exasperated Geno (at least that's the impression he gave ) in public .....to figure it out herself...and she did (maybe not by herself) and the rest is history. After the ND semi-final, there was no way that team could have been taken and they rolled.

So now we come to 2018, Batouly is injured, another (talented) kid left and Geno has little faith in the rest. I grant you that the soph reserves have not developed enough to be useful in a competitive game...but that leaves three award winning frosh from which group Geno has to find at least one and possible two to assist this team from physical and mental exhaustion in crunch time.

And is it possible that even Pheesa's mini-slump has to do with the tough love manner in which she has been coached from the start of this season and that she is not responding positively to it.

What I am saying is that it is possible that "La Methode" may suit some better than others and that some flexibility might bring even better results especially with the youngest.

I am not definitively saying that my supposition is absolutely correct...but as a variant of the issue noted above persists seemingly season after season, there may be something to it.

But of course, my detractors will say...there is the record...For which I can only reply that it is unlikely that we can go all the way with just 6; even 7 and that it may be possible to develop new approaches in getting the talented frosh, game ready

I like your points about the possible contributing factor for Pheesa's mini slump and the too-slow development of the sophomore reserves. (Kyla seems to be in the midst of a growth spurt right now, though!)

As for Megan Walker, I think she's going to be just fine in the mid to long term. The ones that stay around always come around to Geno's approach, especially the great ones. I believe she's subconsciously fighting his system right now, probing to see to what extent if any she can bend him to her will. But that's not a fight she should really undertake, nor is it one she can win.

On the other hand, Geno probably senses her stubbornness and he threw her a major bone in last night's post-game comments when he said the bench is a priority he's immediately going to start working on. He knows this team needs contributions and development from Megan and the others -- this year -- so a hard reboot for the bench is definitely coming.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Can't win. People want competitive games. That's why we want out of the American. Then we get a competitive game and people cry because we had a close game. Gloom and doom. "We're in trouble". The team looks awful. All you can do is laugh.

Reaction Score
We all love our Huskies! But if something does not change mentally, this team will meet the same fate as last years. The holes are still there!
1. No bench
2. Can’t guard off the dribble
3. Napheesa disappears in big games
4. Kia struggles to score in big games
5. Sloppy play and turnovers in huge games
6. Appear to be a tad indecisive in close games
7. Gabby plays great and hard...But does not trust her shot or take it

However Crystal and Azura seem ready for the moment! And Lou is the one constant! So hopefully the rest of the team can get over the MENTAL hump by March!

Good post with valid points. We (as UCONN fans) have to get out of the mind set of thinking every time someone brings up critical shortcomings or faults the team needs to work on that it is “whining” or being “ungrateful” of the product. I think we all acknowledge their greatness and just want them to continue to succeed so we voice our concerns for discussion.

Just think about how many times we have seen UCONN blow a team out and Geno is unhappy because he sees things the team is not doing or could be doing better, but yet I hardly ever hear people saying he need to stop complaining or just be grateful for the win.

Reaction Score
Why trouble?? Because Uconn didn't win a NC? They lost 1 game when most thought they would lose 4-5. Obviously the lose game at the wrong time, but winning NC after NC isn't normal. Winning game after game isn't normal. Call me crazy, but if doing what the team did last year "trouble" I will take it any day!

Reaction Score
We all love our Huskies! But if something does not change mentally, this team will meet the same fate as last years. The holes are still there!
1. No bench
2. Can’t guard off the dribble
3. Napheesa disappears in big games
4. Kia struggles to score in big games
5. Sloppy play and turnovers in huge games
6. Appear to be a tad indecisive in close games
7. Gabby plays great and hard...But does not trust her shot or take it

However Crystal and Azura seem ready for the moment! And Lou is the one constant! So hopefully the rest of the team can get over the MENTAL hump by March!

I don't like your assessment of Precious and Kia. Also the statement of "NO BENCH" is misleading.
You have points that are accurate. Uconn has had trouble for along time with good really good dribble drives.
MOMENTs due to TX --were SLOPPY--can't deny that. I don't know where the Indecisive comes from. When a team is guarding all your potential outlets--decisions are not instantaneous. I worry about bad decisions.
NO BENCH---not big but they have one---Azura (a bench player), Walker, (I suggest ) Irwin--so much better than this time last season--so much!!\]\
I have 2 questions about the weakness:
1. Who will be tapped to add to the 6 starters?
2. Who will be called on to fix all issues with this team?

For number 2---the obvious answer is ME--but I choose to defer.

Reaction Score
Why trouble?? Because Uconn didn't win a NC? They lost 1 game when most thought they would lose 4-5. Obviously the lose game at the wrong time, but winning NC after NC isn't normal. Winning game after game isn't normal. Call me crazy, but if doing what the team did last year "trouble" I will take it any day!

I beg to differ; those who last year thought Uconn would have 4 or 5 losses. That was true in November but not in January--then some were speaking of the 200th win. Not all but many thought another NC was being handed to Uconn.
The loss didn't come at the wrong time--the compilation of circumstances arrived at the right time for Miss St and Wrong for Uconn. Geno will tell you ---the NCAA's is as much about luck as with talent. \
Some of the weakness then are still with Uconn---that is not heresy---I post often: We are blessed that JPM gave Geno the gift of Azura Stevens!! She is what this team needs to compliment the starting 5.

Reaction Score
The real problem is Uconn is too small. They can't rebound or defend against good bigs.
This is the failure to recruit big girls recently..they keep recruiting guards and small forwards...crystal has been a treasure ..z has saved both nd and Texas games ...by pheesa and gabby underperforming in big games they expose Lou to more mugging..they really need to overcome the deer in the headlights state of mind when teams get tough ..just some observations

Reaction Score
Can't win. People want competitive games. That's why we want out of the American. Then we get a competitive game and people cry because we had a close game. Gloom and doom. "We're in trouble". The team looks awful. All you can do is laugh.

The over-simplification in this post is mind-numbing.

People want to play in a better conference so that the team is tested on a regular basis and so that the games themselves are more entertaining. Nobody is complaining that the team was tested last night.

Moreover, pointing out how Texas exposed some of our weaknesses (Gabby's height, Z's man-to-man defense, Collier's shaky confidence, etc.) is not tantamount to complaining that we played this game.

Reaction Score
This is the failure to recruit big girls recently..they keep recruiting guards and small forwards...crystal has been a treasure ..z has saved both nd and Texas games ...by pheesa and gabby underperforming in big games they expose Lou to more mugging..they really need to overcome the deer in the headlights state of mind when teams get tough ..just some observations

UConn has recently recruited Aja Wilson, Brianna Turner, Kalani Brown, Lauren Cox, etc. Good post players are just very rare since 6'5 women don't just grow on trees.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that this team has two players (Gabby, Napheesa) who are under performing compared to last season, three players (Kia, KLS, Crystal) who are outperforming compared to last year and one new player who is rounding into form nicely..............if Gabby and Kia can get back to last year's lofty level this team will be simply unstoppable...............if not they will be a really, really good but slightly beatable team when the NCAAs come around..........

Reaction Score
The bottom line is that this team has two players (Gabby, Napheesa) who are under performing compared to last season, three players (Kia, KLS, Crystal) who are outperforming compared to last year and one new player who is rounding into form nicely....if Gabby and Kia can get back to last year's lofty level this team will be simply unstoppable.....if not they will be a really, really good but slightly beatable team when the NCAAs come around.....

Gabby and Kia or gabby and Pheesa??

Reaction Score
Gabby and Kia or gabby and Pheesa??

Gabby and Napheesa are not playing the consistently wonderful basketball that they did all of last season.............perhaps it just too much to expect that they could repeat that truly remarkable performance...........Napheesa's shooting percentage was so high I never expected her to equal it again but her all around play has not been up to her own standards as she has mentioned and Gabby's turnover rate has been an issue all season............I believe that the remaining AAC games will allow both players to get back to their best just in time for the NCAAs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom