So essentially... | The Boneyard

So essentially...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
A single B1G or Pac12 School will soon earn more than our entire league by themselves.

Wazzou will get more money than the entire Big East.
Per year.
On their own.

You know that recent article on Waterbury being amongst the saddest cities in the country? It's all my fault. Sorry...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Mike Aresco is worth the same as UConn Men's Basketball.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
UConn basketball is worth more without UConn Football. Men' or Womens. subsidize the program with inferior opponents and inferior media contract.

Ouch. The team better kick some butt this year.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
relax fellas. remember when the acc tried to add cuse and uconn not to long ago but ended up with cuse and pitt? we know what our value is to the acc. its somewhere between 18.5 and 20mil per year. we also know that ruty did the same as us and wasn't interested in the acc. but they didn't string it along, they just hung up the phone. they are worth around 30mil to the b10 but the nyc market/cablebox with other b10 schools really bumps the # for the league as a whole. so most likely as a whole we are worth somewhere in between 18.5 and 30mil. the acc tier 3 setup sucks for a school like uconn becuase our tier 3 is gold compared to most. thats why u hear schools like unc, uva and fsu crab. those schools have other sports that command tv and $. bball and baseball and soccer w/e. just how it is.

uconn boys hoops vs a crappy nbe schedule and some ooc games is worth 5+mil to sny
uconn girls vs the nbe and a usual healthy ooc to sny is worth 1mil all day
uconn soccer, puck and baseball can be sold to sny and played during non mets times/part of year and fill in slots that the network plays replays of stuff with and be a good solid piece also. talking another mil.
uconn fball is worth 2-5mil other games non tv network to sny. i would say atleast 8 of 12 games a year go to sny in the nbe. 500k per gets you 4 mil lets say. thats fair i think.
u know juice up sny, midnight madness on that friday night instead of a beer$ replay and the spring game and fri night puck games and tuesday afternoon soccer games.

that alone above gets u 10-11mil tier 3. the nbe contract would get uconn 2mil. thats that. acc teams get 19mil total for all tiers. we just made 12 to 13 mil playing hs teams and selling our inventory to a local nyc tv channel. just imagine when u trade michigan, pus and md or clem, fsu and unc for memphis, ucf and uh...

cut the crying and moaning. uconn tv wise is doing just fine. hell we actually are doing better with the contract then we were before. espn owning it makes us a easy phone call away from the acc if the b10 doesn't pick us.

the contract clearly syas its a "12 team" league with unknow slots to be filled teams wise still. its simply a cheap contract knowing the future is 12 cusa types who fill slots inventory wise. the acc/espn knows it has to get to 16 just liek the b10 and sec. it knows no matter if all acc teams stay or the b10/sec add from the acc eventually uconn and cincy for sure fall into a lsot somewhere. just a simple fact thats a time nightmare for this fanbase as it turns out. leadership told all of u to be patient so instead u all fly off the handle at a stupid contract that we shouldnt even care about.

were going to the b10 or acc. i dont give a flying f about this contract. even if the time table keeps getting pushed back for w/e logistics reason and we playa year or 2 in this league, we are not a 2mil school tv wise. were 10+ all day so stop the doom and gloom crap.

think about it. syracuse all sports vs the acc teams today in the conference are worth 19mil. uconn vs a bunch of community colleges and cincy is worth 11-13mil. thats a insult to cuse alum and they dont even know it. sny playing womens bball oer a cuse mens game was a insult that they still dont understand either. think about it.

you are all falling for the insiders everywhere the wrong way. if u like college sports its great entertainment, i love it and join in clearly...but they judge value based on who and where u are today. a couple months ago, rutgers was worth about 8mil all sports and had a crapy history and no tradition. now they are worth 45mil and a historic program. u have to understand the perception game. thats all. uconns perception right now is a community college cusa team becuase thats where we are lumped in with. but 2 years ago we were a big east team perception wise. were still a monster and when we get to a final spot we will be jsut fine.

when cuse and pitt left for the acc. espn pretty quickly made it clear that uconn and ruty were under consideration. we had a lot of drama with bc and other stuff go on with that also. if u look back at it and the worths of schools as we know they are done, cuse and pitt are low on the list. but heres the kicker. fsu not to long ago wasn't happy remember? they did a study about schools worths themselves to challenge swofford liking cuse and willing to take pitt. they valued wvu, uconn, lville, rutgers, cue, pitt, cincy in that order schools wise. think about that.

uconn is worth way more then perception. its going to get over 10mil in its sleep from sny total in a crappy nbe. when we go to the b10 or acc, we will cake. if its the acc, our tier 3 thru both bball programs will bump there contract about another pill per school. buckle up, sack up, shut up and play the perception game on the internets with other fanbases becuase uconn is a fight worth fighting for. if its not to u, then why are u here anyway.

Reaction Score
Do we have any details about the Tier 3 rights in this new contract? HFD is right in that the ACC contract is for all the rights. I think I remember Fishy saying that UCONN's Tier 3 rights in the past were worth around 10 million total. Is this true?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given the number of games ESPN is committing to and given that some of the schools in this conference flat-out suck ass, I don't think there will be a lot left over for a tier three deal.

But it's hard to say - there is more unknown than there is known about the contract.

Reaction Score
There's also the 50% cut we get from XL when we sweep up change after every game. We get all of it in Gampel. That's about 30 games for men's and women's which would be around $110 when all is said and done. Add that to $10M and now were talking.....

Reaction Score
Given the number of games ESPN is committing to and given that some of the schools in this conference flat-out suck ass, I don't think there will be a lot left over for a tier three deal.

But it's hard to say - there is more unknown than there is known about the contract.
I understand about the unknown for sure. The IMG deal that UCONN signed in 2008 (10 year deal) would not be effected by this though would it? That itself pays them 8 million dollars a year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I understand about the unknown for sure. The IMG deal that UCONN signed in 2008 (10 year deal) would not be effected by this though would it? That itself pays them 8 million dollars a year.

No - that's still in effect.

ACC schools, with no tier 3 rights, all have similar deals.

Interesting to note that while we got $8M per for our "multimedia rights", North Carolina State recently only got $4.5M for theirs.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The UConn women sell sneakers! No joke. The Premium brand. The one program you want if you sell to young women.

In an 8-game 10-team conference schedule there are 40 conference games and 40 OOC games including the Div II games.

ESPN gets 25 OOC games, It's likely each club has one road game in the OOC mix they can't subcontract to ESPN leaving only 30 including the Div II games. Some teams have even less with 2 road games. That's pretty much the whole wad with 25 games.

ESPN will sub it all out to SNY if SNY is still interested in UConn after SU and RU flew the coop in football and SHU and Seton Hall joined them in basketball and the lady rugrats are gone. I expect we'll see channel 9 again soon and the ladies will see CPTV as soon as SNY can dump their contracts. The only thing saving SNY CT would be a CT feed and cable company inertia. They wont kick SNY off the line up if its the UConn Network.

Reaction Score

And yet, we're all up in arms.

We know that being in the NNNNBE will suck. Beyond that, why don't we wait until we actually know what the deal is to talk about it?

pj

Reaction Score

For UConn to agree to this kind of miniscule contract, it has to limit the number of its home games that can be part of the contract to maybe 1 per year. If ESPN is only buying UConn games, UConn should get all the revenue, not 12 miscellaneous schools.

If ESPN wants to feature all the UConn away games, that's great for the school. But we need to sell 5 of our 6 home games separately.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
It's for 150+ basketball games. With 10 teams that's 15 or better each.

Uconn has 16 homes games on the schedule this year. Last year they had 17. Calculated as 12 teams its not too much better.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And yet, we're all up in arms.

We know that being in the NNNNBE will suck. Beyond that, why don't we wait until we actually know what the deal is to talk about it?

Because, sadly, our school has thus far shown an inability to look out for its self interest. To the extent that our administrators care what the fans think (and I don't think its much) they need to know that we are not going to accept them just signing on the dotted line. They need to scrutinize this thing, work every angle to maximizes UConn's revenue, and think creatively about limiting this dumpster fire to a scheduling alliance (because really that's all it is) whereby we sell our own rights.

Reaction Score
The question is, does IMG renew their contract with Uconn now that Uconn is in a crappy conference and doesn't get the exposure we used to get? It's not impossible to see this deal go away or not be worth as much as it currently is.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The question is, does IMG renew their contract with Uconn now that Uconn is in a crappy conference and doesn't get the exposure we used to get? It's not impossible to see this deal go away or not be worth as much as it currently is.
That indeed is the question. Been wondering about it myself.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
That indeed is the question. Been wondering about it myself.

And the Nike deal. One thing about sports - the chasm between the Tiger Woods and the 6th best player in the world for endorsements is huge. Its worse than "Project Runway". One day you're in, the next day you're out.

Reaction Score
Because, sadly, our school has thus far shown an inability to look out for its self interest. To the extent that our administrators care what the fans think (and I don't think its much) they need to know that we are not going to accept them just signing on the dotted line. They need to scrutinize this thing, work every angle to maximizes UConn's revenue, and think creatively about limiting this dumpster fire to a scheduling alliance (because really that's all it is) whereby we sell our own rights.
That's more than a bit harsh. About the administration. There are limits to what can be accomplished in the short run. You have to accept that we have a favorable opinion of ourselves. Most do. Some would even suggest an inflated opinion of ourselves. In reality, we are not high in the Pantheon of college football. We are generally looked upon as similar to Houston, Tulsa, Nevada . . . . a little beneath BC, but not too much . . . . and our "administrators", like WM, and SH, have to deal with that reality, and they are dealing with it magnificently, btw. Susan is building up the academic profile of the university, and Warde is basically keeping his mouth shut. So that in a couple of years, when this musical chairs comes to a stop, we will have a seat. And we will.

Reaction Score
There was really only one reason to look at Aresco's hiring optimistically. That was his experience on the TV side of things. Now that he has essentially delivered the same deal that the MWC got, there is no point in keeping him around. He failed. The TV deal was the biggest thing he was brought in for. His job wasn't easy, far from it, but any one could have delivered what he did.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There was really only one reason to look at Aresco's hiring optimistically. That was his experience on the TV side of things. Now that he has essentially delivered the same deal that the MWC got, there is no point in keeping him around. He failed. The TV deal was the biggest thing he was brought in for. His job wasn't easy, far from it, but any one could have delivered what he did.

I have no experience in sports administration and I have never worked in television.

That said, I could have done what Aresco did.

I believe I could have lost Louisville, Notre Dame, Boise, San Diego and the entire Catholic 7. After that, I certainly could have negotiated an awful television deal.

I'm not sure Tulane would have ever come to my mind and if I got a text from the prez of UCF about it, I probably would have deleted it because, duck*, who the hell wants to hear from UCF about anything.

Honestly, I could have accomplished all of that without so much as stepping foot in the Big East offices.

Aresco had a very hard job to do and he did it terribly. Now I know how things like Two Broke Girls gets on TV.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Now I know how things like Two Broke Girls gets on TV.
I've always wondered about that myself. How things like that get on in the first place and things like Arrested Development only make it 3 seasons. Certainly blows one's mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom