So Carolina transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So Carolina transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You're late. Took you long enough to show up. Welcome.

Now that I have your attention, I have a question. Why does the fan base occupying Cockytalk focus so exclusively on your team. Is there a lack of serious interest in WCBB among these fans, so it is exclusively RAH RAH all things SC? They are hardly alone in this among big time women's programs, and attendance figures are more than impressive, but is there any staying power in it about WCBB?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Now that I have your attention, I have a question. Why does the fan base occupying Cockytalk focus so exclusively on your team. Is there a lack of serious interest in WCBB among these fans, so it is exclusively RAH RAH all things SC? They are hardly alone in this among big time women's programs, and attendance figures are more than impressive, but is there any staying power in it about WCBB?

Well, if visiting fans lurked less and posted more (respectfully) that would probably help. We take to most nice visitors well (ask Nuyoika).

You also have to realize you're not dealing with the same kind of fanbase that you'd find here. Within its own fanbase, SC WBB doesn't hold the same proportion of fans that UCONN WBB probably holds in its fanbase. For every 3 UCONN fans 2 are probably UCONN WBB fans. At SC, for every 4 Gamecocks fans, maybe 1 is a WBB fan... and that's because (1) you're dealing with a fanbase that's still warming up to WBB and (2) it's the South, college football is King. I think people fail to understand the grip college football has on the South.. you'll never understand it until you attend an SEC football game and witness the pageantry (and revelry) for yourself. It's not even just about the game. It's an event. It's southern opulence and tradition meets sports.

So how does this relate to your question... CockyTalk is really a football message board. The majority of fans are there to talk football. Football fans are not like basketball fans... basketball fans welcome banter and trash talk, football is territorial and so are the fans. Tread lightly when you step on their turf in the beginning, but if they see that you're not trolling and are just there to talk WBB then most will gladly welcome you. Fanbases grow over time. Eventually you'll see more talk of other programs there but right now.. not really, unless it involves some sort of breaking news.

Also, you have to respect the wishes of the admins... some boards are strictly about Gamecock sports or relative happenings.. "Fowl Sports" is about anything relating gamecock basketball, men or women's. If you post a thread, it can be about another school but the Gamecocks have to factor in somehow or the admins will move it to another board. There are other boards that are more lax but fans seldom use them because there's little need to talk about other schools since we have so few visiting fans that actually post.

I would love for us to talk about other schools more on CockyTalk... that's primarily why I hang out here. To talk WBB.. Not just about SC or UCONN..

y'all have a great thing going here.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Maybe this is old new, but the freshman recruit Colley, who left in January I believe, has landed in Pittsburgh, which really surprises me. Coup for Suzie M-S, but adds to the mystery of the transfer, which was rumored to be because she wanted to get closer to home. A shorter plane flight, but really? I have a hunch, but if I share it I get a whipping.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/1/16/10781184/south-carolina-transfer-shay-colley-pittsburgh

Toronto to Pittsburgh is very drivable for her family.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Only a tiny percentage of the fan base posts on message boards and Cockytalk is only one of a number of Gamecock message boards.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm actually not a Southerner. I grew up in New Jersey and both of my parents were NYC natives.

Driven from Toronto to Pennsy in the winter? Would you recommend it. Again, deflection leghorn! Deal with the counterpoint, not where you were born.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Driven from Toronto to Pennsy in the winter? Would you recommend it. Again, deflection leghorn! Deal with the counterpoint, not where you were born.

I just spent 4 days in Sioux Falls. There was snow on the ground when I got there and 5 more inches fell while I was there. I sure didn't stay cooped up in my hotel. If you're used to driving in snow it isn't going to keep you at home. We're not talking about the South where the prediction of 2 inches sends water, bread and milk flying off the shelves of every Piggly Wiggly from Traveler's Rest to Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I'm actually not a Southerner. I grew up in New Jersey and both of my parents were NYC natives.

Who needs a house out in Hackensack, eh...you'd get a bigger yard in SC! :D

Reaction Score
DD should be initiating offense from the elbow, not the wing constantly. Reynolds should not be intiating the offense, instead should be operating from the wing. And Tea Cooper will need to get stronger with her ball handling. Mercedes Russell is nothing more than a great role player. I don't think she has the grit to truly take over a game.

I wasn't implying that DD play from the wing (just sayin'). Maybe the reason she looked like she was forcing things in the last game was because Graves,Reynolds and Carter were hurt but that's what I also thought from watching earlier games on tv.

Russell took over to last game but needs to have the others take pressure off of her. They focused on her and DD in the last game and clogged up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom