So. Carolina Players Report Cards | The Boneyard

So. Carolina Players Report Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A nice honest report card. Very useful scouting. It confirms to me that USC guard play is not elite ad therefore, the guard to post connection can be disrupted.

It also seems Wilson has leveled off a bit from potential NPOY and Coates is the real danger.

I assume some opportunistic BYer will push an OOC report card thread which will lead to some fun debate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Still jelling? How long do you have to play together to jell? And, BTW, can anyone tell me if Coates has gotten over disappearing when challenged? I have not seen a game this year and they have the typical SEC OOC share of patsies.

Reaction Score

Does anyone think the media would be so generous with KLS, Gabby, Naphees, Kia, Chong, Butler, Dangerfield??\
I'd have 3 A plusses, 2 A's a B and a C you guess who gets what. Running down the next 3
I'd do 2 B's and a C plus Taking into account walkon and Frosh.\
i thought the grader was a bit harsh on Brinca Cueva-Moore--D--

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Does anyone think the media would be so generous with KLS, Gabby, Naphees, Kia, Chong, Butler, Dangerfield??\
I'd have 3 A plusses, 2 A's a B and a C you guess who gets what. Running down the next 3

I might use INC for Molly, Kyla and a N/A for Tierney. Makes no sense to grade a walk on

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I might use INC for Molly, Kyla and a N/A for Tierney. Makes no sense to grade a walk on
I like your sentiment, but TLaw is no longer a walk-on. She has had a scholarship for a while now.

I agree with the I grade for Kyla and especially Molly. I think AAC conference play will be just what the doctor ordered for Molly and for Geno's confidence in her.

Reaction Score
I might use INC for Molly, Kyla and a N/A for Tierney. Makes no sense t

o grade a walk on
Lawlor, which I incorrectly called a walkon, is actually a scholarship player and should be graded as one. Albeit last off the bench.
If you were to use a complete/ incomplete assessment--that may work for some. I prefer to grade team member as --team members and adjust the grades according to longevity with the team and other circumstances.

To each his own--there is no formal grading system for Boneyard opinions.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like your sentiment, but TLaw is no longer a walk-on. She has had a scholarship for a while now.

I agree with the I grade for Kyla and especially Molly. I think AAC conference play will be just what the doctor ordered for Molly and for Geno's confidence in her.

It is true that TLaw is now on scholarship but this is due to her value to the team behind the scenes. Her enthusiasm, setting a strong example for others in practice etc. Since these cant be measured by observations of her play, I still think N/A is the appropriate dispensation.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Still jelling? How long do you have to play together to jell? And, BTW, can anyone tell me if Coates has gotten over disappearing when challenged? I have not seen a game this year and they have the typical SEC OOC share of patsies.
Actually I too had shared your observation going into this year, however, I have a seen 2 full games and parts of two others and would say Endorse the report card assessment that Coates has stepped up and has not shrunk. I would also add that the grade for A'ja was way too kind, she has shrunk when needed. Read the numbers, how can 55% for a 6'5" post player who doesn't take 15-17' shots be an "A" grade? She does have talent AND HAS LEVELED OFF. Also speaking glowingly of players you give "B"and "B-" what is that about? Please give the reason why, otherwise the grades for these backups should be higher. I also thought the grade on Cuevas-Moore was extremely hard and unfair when compared to Wilson and Gray. She does need to be more patient and pass first, dribble second, but she does work hard all the time a "C" or at worst a "C-" for a team that is 10-1. BCM was not the reason they lost to Duke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very interesting scouting report - pretty blunt with some rose colored glasses about the future.
Based on this, the failure to develop BCM is a real issue for SC. It sounds like they are seriously guard challenged while having a really solid front line - not a recipe for offensive success.
Well ... the 2012-13 Uconn team took until post season to finally 'gel'. Every team is different in that regard and you see it across sports and years - fast starters and slow starters, and fast finishers.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

She is a high-energy kid with a lot of toughness. But after that, positives are harder to develop. She is a turnover waiting to happen, takes bad shots at the worst moments, and has generally exhibited poor BB decision making. Not good, especially from the point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you can issue a report card when the team has yet to take finals. I believe SC's final is scheduled for February 13. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really like Dawn Staley. She was a tough competitor. As a coach she has great energy. She is a fine recruiter and her teams are usually very sound on defense.

With that said, sometimes it can be painful to watch her team's offense in big games. There is no offensive flow. Players stop moving. Every possession is grinded out, often resulting in a forced shot....the polar opposite of the team SC plays on Feb 13.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you can issue a report card when the team has yet to take finals. I believe SC's final is scheduled for February 13. :)

Midterm grades are helpful and provide feedback. Just ask any student. On the other hand, even A players will often not do well against UConn so perhaps we should not add our game to their final report card. Perhaps extra credit :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually I too had shared your observation going into this year, however, I have a seen 2 full games and parts of two others and would say Endorse the report card assessment that Coates has stepped up and has not shrunk. I would also add that the grade for A'ja was way too kind, she has shrunk when needed. Read the numbers, how can 55% for a 6'5" post player who doesn't take 15-17' shots be an "A" grade? She does have talent AND HAS LEVELED OFF. Also speaking glowingly of players you give "B"and "B-" what is that about? Please give the reason why, otherwise the grades for these backups should be higher. I also thought the grade on Cuevas-Moore was extremely hard and unfair when compared to Wilson and Gray. She does need to be more patient and pass first, dribble second, but she does work hard all the time a "C" or at worst a "C-" for a team that is 10-1. BCM was not the reason they lost to Duke.
It's a fan blog writing for fans. I think it would be more surprising if the player analyses weren't glowing.

Reaction Score

We may not be UCONN but we've had one of the toughest OOC in the country. Also, when you lose 4 seniors and get a class of transfers and freshman, it does take a while to gel but I think they're almost there. Dawn just said in an interview that after the break she was able to finally define roles for her team because she knows her team and they know each other. Also, Alaina Coates basically won our game for us against UCLA and has came up big other times this season like at Louisville. Just wanted to further explain some of my points, thanks for your feedback!

Reaction Score
Very interesting scouting report - pretty blunt with some rose colored glasses about the future.
Based on this, the failure to develop BCM is a real issue for SC. It sounds like they are seriously guard challenged while having a really solid front line - not a recipe for offensive success.

Well ... the 2012-13 Uconn team took until post season to finally 'gel'. Every team is different in that regard and you see it across sports and years - fast starters and slow starters, and fast finishers.
You are right that we have a solid front line, but our guard play is not "challenged" IMO besides BCM. Gray and Davis are incredible talents and can turn it on when they want, KD has just been a little less efficient that one would hope. Thank you for your response!

Reaction Score
Imagine A'ja Wilson as that kid in school who didn't study a whole lot, but still got A's. That's why I gave her an A. She hasn't shown her full talent but when she leads her team in scoring and shoots what IMO is a good percentage, hard to give her a bad grade. Also, leveled off is not the correct term. When your whole starting lineup (minus Allisha Gray bc she was injured) are McDonald's AA your not gonna score 20-25 pts every night. Also, can B's not be appreciated? These are Fresh/Soph/Transfers and their future for SEC play is still bright, they just haven't had stellar scoring seasons so I wouldn't give them an A, but I am still gonna be positive about their future. Thank you for your response!

Reaction Score
Midterm grades are helpful and provide feedback. Just ask any student. On the other hand, even A players will often not do well against UConn so perhaps we should not add our game to their final report card. Perhaps extra credit :rolleyes:

I doubt that either University would accept making this test ---pass/fail--since it appears to be a significant test towards Graduation (NC)!!

Reaction Score
I thought people may think I was being harsh, but after 2 seasons in waiting where your coach told you to fix these mistakes, her JR year she hasn't matured. She hasn't fixed them, and she plays with no discipline. This is sad bc she has the talent to become an elite PG. I just didn't think she deserved a C or C- because honestly almost nothing she has done this year has impressed me so far, but I'm hoping this will change. Thank you for your response!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I really like Dawn Staley. She was a tough competitor. As a coach she has great energy. She is a fine recruiter and her teams are usually very sound on defense.

With that said, sometimes it can be painful to watch her team's offense in big games. There is no offensive flow. Players stop moving. Every possession is grinded out, often resulting in a forced shot....the polar opposite of the team SC plays on Feb 13.

I've been a fan of Dawn's since my UVA days. Geno obviously likes her; otherwise he wouldn't have chosen her for his USAB staff. BUT -- she was a point/combo guard, and I would think she'd instill a LOT more of a passing game on her teams. In the UCLA game they had six assists. For the whole game. If they don't pass, that takes away so many opportunities in close games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are right that we have a solid front line, but our guard play is not "challenged" IMO besides BCM. Gray and Davis are incredible talents and can turn it on when they want, KD has just been a little less efficient that one would hope. Thank you for your response!
Maybe I should have said PG challenged, as I think of Davis as more of a wing/forward and Gray as wing/off guard - I don't see either as particularly good and or willing passers and more as scorers. They are both good players but perhaps not as good at promoting good team play as they are at scoring themselves. I haven't seen much of SC this season so that might be harsh.

My concern particularly with Davis coming to SC was how well she would integrate with Wilson and Coates in Dawn's offense. It is the same concern I had for Baylor's offensive flow for the same reason - loss of a steady senior PG to direct the traffic.

Reaction Score

Well maybe you should watch them before you judge. Unlike UCONN, ND, Maryland the Entire SC team is new to each other. Wilson and Coates are the only returning starters, Davis was the go to player at her recent school and so far has done pretty well to tone down her volume shooting but she needs to be more efficient and I expect her to do so when sec play starts. Gray has been good so far but her 3point shooting needs to be more efficient especially against UCONN. Harris,HH, and Cliney are the ones to watch out for now that they have adjusted to the college level I expect their play will become better offensively and defensively. As for BCM and Wilson I truly expected more out of them but both have time to improve. Wilson isn't playing bad she just need to be more efficient and hit the boards much more, BCM needs to focus on being more poised and under control and harness her speed and use it when it's needed. Idk about pasties, besides UCONN we've had one of the toughest OOC in the country. There is still High hopes for this team including on Feb. 13 but for now the focus is on the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom