So Carolina AD asking for Review of Foul. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So Carolina AD asking for Review of Foul.

Reaction Score
well i don't think this decision would be made without Dawn. it's her program and she runs it. aside from that, i don't think they said anything negative. my point was they never gave any credit to TN. now, the reporters were fixated on the call. that did dictate the conversation. i just thought they could have been more gracious. two people can watch a video and see two different things. we are both fans of our schools. i get and respect your point. :)
The psychological ramifications of the that type of game are interesting. If that one last call had gone the other way, and SC had won, the entire post game dynamic would have been different. TN would have had another loss and calls for Holly's head would resume. SC would have been praised for pulling out a victory with their two bigs on the bench, yada, yada. All for a matter of a couple of points. Small factors - big ramifications .

Reaction Score
The psychological ramifications of the that type of game are interesting. If that one last call had gone the other way, and SC had won, the entire post game dynamic would have been different. TN would have had another loss and calls for Holly's head would resume. SC would have been praised for pulling out a victory with their two bigs on the bench, yada, yada. All for a matter of a couple of points. Small factors - big ramifications .
agreed. big game. i am sure SC wants to see TN again in the SEC tourney

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
well i don't think this decision would be made without Dawn. it's her program and she runs it. aside from that, i don't think they said anything negative. my point was they never gave any credit to TN. now, the reporters were fixated on the call. that did dictate the conversation. i just thought they could have been more gracious. two people can watch a video and see two different things. we are both fans of our schools. i get and respect your point. :)

You think that.. but you don't KNOW that. The AD doesn't have to get Dawn's consent to go to the home office, that's within his power. AD's send tape to the home office all of the time for college football, it happens so often that it rarely makes news. My issue with your comment centered around this idea of Dawn and the team devoting so much energy to the Tennessee loss and that one call... it doesn't appear they are, nobody has spoken about it and they showed their focus on the court last night against Kentucky. Looks like they've moved beyond it to me. They have UConn coming up.. I'm pretty sure they're not devoting energy to a Tennessee loss that nobody will remember if they were to beat UConn.

Now if you wanted SC to be more gracious in defeat, hey perhaps you're right, I actually think they should've complimented Tennessee on a game that the Lady Vols played extremely well in, but I also understand why they weren't feeling too charitable afterwards especially when you consider how they lost, at the free throw line in the last seconds of the game... but on the hand, is Holly always gracious in defeat (she probably is, she's one of the classiest coaches out there IMO)? Does Diamond always compliment the victors? It's easy to come down on the loser for being ungracious when you're the winner. Remember that the next time Tennessee loses.

Reaction Score
You think that.. but you don't KNOW that. The AD doesn't have to get Dawn's consent to go to the home office, that's within his power. AD's send tape to the home office all of the time for college football, it happens so often that it rarely makes news. My issue with your comment centered around this idea of Dawn and the team devoting so much energy to the Tennessee loss and that one call... it doesn't appear they are, nobody has spoken about it and they showed their focus on the court last night against Kentucky. Looks like they've moved beyond it to me. They have UConn coming up.. I'm pretty sure they're not devoting energy to a Tennessee loss that nobody will remember if they were to beat UConn.

Now if you wanted SC to be more gracious in defeat, hey perhaps you're right, I actually think they should've complimented Tennessee on a game that the Lady Vols played extremely well in, but I also understand why they weren't feeling too charitable afterwards especially when you consider how they lost, at the free throw line in the last seconds of the game... but on the hand, is Holly always gracious in defeat (she probably is, she's one of the classiest coaches out there IMO)? Does Diamond always compliment the victors? It's easy to come down on the loser for being ungracious when you're the winner. Remember that the next time Tennessee loses.

true enough that i don't know Dawn's input just would seem odd if she weren't involved. at any rate, if SC beats UCONN then i will be there celebrating an SEC win. :) and for the record, i really love Wilson and Dawn. these were just my observations.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
true enough that i don't know Dawn's input just would seem odd if she weren't involved. at any rate, if SC beats UCONN then i will be there celebrating an SEC win. :) and for the record, i really love Wilson and Dawn. these were just my observations.

UConn is yet again a team playing on another level. I would be ecstatic for a win but I honestly just want a competitive game. A win in Storrs would probably be one of the highlights of my year. I will be at that game and probably on campus that day so I'm looking forward to seeing the mystique behind this unbeatable UConn program. :cool:

Reaction Score
I would be ecstatic for a win but I honestly just want a competitive game.
Sure, sure :)
im_pulling_your_leg_sticker.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speaking of impactful calls, the WNBA championship was determined by a missed call.

Reaction Score
I've never been a basketball ref, but from my experience as an official in another NCAA sport I can say that the officials' performance in every single game is subjected to multiple layers of scrutiny and evaluation. In addition to the assigned officiating crew, an "observer" or some other representative is assigned to each game by the conference coordinator of officials to be present during the officials' pregame procedures and postgame debriefings, as well as the game itself, and to submit his or her own report to the coordinator. Each official also submits their own report. The head coaches, of course, each get to submit their own evaluation as well (and you can imagine what those look like). In a game of this magnitude, it's very likely that the conference coordinator was also in attendance.

The refs are given a ton of feedback—some of it immediate, some of it in the days after the game—about the things they screwed up. It's a process that's not visible to the public, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Plebe- - - Yes all that is supposed to be true but in WBB, both WCBB and WNBA the people evaluating the refs performance is usually an ex ref that retired to supervisor status and is now evaluating his or her friends that refed together for 25 years previously! They're not going to slam their buddies no matter how lousy their performance!
Check out www.wbbstate.com/ they have a section on college refs. It is quite eye-opening to what is done! Click on right side of page in pink last section is officials.
When was the last time you heard of a ref being questioned about a call and how it affected the game! They can't be interviewed!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
South Carolina need to let it go, and move on. There were bad calls and missed shots on both sides.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe- - - Yes all that is supposed to be true but in WBB, both WCBB and WNBA the people evaluating the refs performance is usually an ex ref that retired to supervisor status and is now evaluating his or her friends that refed together for 25 years previously! They're not going to slam their buddies no matter how lousy their performance!
Check out www.wbbstate.com/ they have a section on college refs. It is quite eye-opening to what is done! Click on right side of page in pink last section is officials.
When was the last time you heard of a ref being questioned about a call and how it affected the game! They can't be interviewed!

(I'm not able to access any of the data you've linked, as it apparently requires a paid subscription.)

So you want the person who is in charge of evaluating officials to have no officiating experience?

I guarantee you that the likes of Kantner and Mattingly wouldn't be consistently working the biggest games if the coaches themselves didn't consider them among the best officials.

In what sport anywhere in the world (not just women's BB) are the officials made available to the media to explain their decisions? What would that accomplish?

The NBA has taken the novel step, in the interest of "transparency," of publishing a "report card" of officials' decisions in the last two minutes of the game. We have seen that on many occasions they have cited multiple mistakes in just that 1/24th of the game. We have also seen that many coaches, players, and observers feel that this report card is counterproductive to its stated aims.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

While I appreciate your exclamation points, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You insult the integrity of every ref and supervisor in every sport. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wilson picking up the T hurt her in my book. She needs to be smarter and more careful, especially as a junior.

Agreed. She needs to be smarter but I must admit that I'm enjoying seeing Wilson play with a passion and a hunger that she didn't have her first two years.

One of the things Dawn criticized Wilson about was that she's "too nice" on the court. She's not nice anymore. I like that change... but yes, no more technicals please.

Reaction Score
(I'm not able to access any of the data you've linked, as it apparently requires a paid subscription.)

So you want the person who is in charge of evaluating officials to have no officiating experience?

I guarantee you that the likes of Kantner and Mattingly wouldn't be consistently working the biggest games if the coaches themselves didn't consider them among the best officials.

In what sport anywhere in the world (not just women's BB) are the officials made available to the media to explain their decisions? What would that accomplish?

The NBA has taken the novel step, in the interest of "transparency," of publishing a "report card" of officials' decisions in the last two minutes of the game. We have seen that on many occasions they have cited multiple mistakes in just that 1/24th of the game. We have also seen that many coaches, players, and observers feel that this report card is counterproductive to its stated aims.

Plebe- - -No I want retired NBA officials with NO TIES to WBB be the supervisors evaluating people that they didn't run up & down the court with for 25 years!
As far as Kantner & Mattingly, Dimaio, etc go they're living off their rep from 10 to 15 years ago they've slowed down and are inconsistent! The best of the worst! Kantner is great now at the coach complaining then payback is a bi--ch!
The 2 SoCar games recently showed the level of competence now refing WBB. There are 15 to 20 illegal screens set in 95% of the games today Only 1 or 2 are called, if they called it, teams would work on holding their screens a second longer so they're not illegal!
UCONN has worked very hard on eliminating excess fouling, so can other teams but if the refs aren't going to call the fouls why spend a lot of practice time on it unless you're so demanding like Geno and cover all the bases!
Why do most refs call a touch foul 85' from the basket so the game slows down and loses it's pace, then doesn't make any call when 2 players collide near the basket?
Look at the arms of the players, like Natalie Butler, with the big purple welts from all the contact dished out usually not called!
I can't stand the incompetent refs, they're hurting the game! And the WNBA refs are worse than WCBB!

Reaction Score
While I appreciate your exclamation points, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You insult the integrity of every ref and supervisor in every sport. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

ThisJustIn- - -Gee, I thought the BONEYARD respected each posters opinion and right to state it. I didn't know I had to ask your opinion 1st before I could post my opinion to make sure mine agrees with you?
We'll have to agree to disagree!

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe- - -No I want retired NBA officials with NO TIES to WBB be the supervisors evaluating people that they didn't run up & down the court with for 25 years!
As far as Kantner & Mattingly, Dimaio, etc go they're living off their rep from 10 to 15 years ago they've slowed down and are inconsistent! The best of the worst! Kantner is great now at the coach complaining then payback is a bi--ch!
The 2 SoCar games recently showed the level of competence now refing WBB. There are 15 to 20 illegal screens set in 95% of the games today Only 1 or 2 are called, if they called it, teams would work on holding their screens a second longer so they're not illegal!
UCONN has worked very hard on eliminating excess fouling, so can other teams but if the refs aren't going to call the fouls why spend a lot of practice time on it unless you're so demanding like Geno and cover all the bases!
Why do most refs call a touch foul 85' from the basket so the game slows down and loses it's pace, then doesn't make any call when 2 players collide near the basket?
Look at the arms of the players, like Natalie Butler, with the big purple welts from all the contact dished out usually not called!
I can't stand the incompetent refs, they're hurting the game! And the WNBA refs are worse than WCBB!

Ha well I want a free massage every morning, noon and night. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

It's fantasy to think there's an entire army of retired NBA officials just eager and available to supervise all conferences of women's college basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's fantasy to think there's an entire army of retired NBA officials just eager and available to supervise all conferences of women's college basketball.
This "fantasy" would also be entirely different from anything @RSHERMVIKES is suggesting and I'm not sure why it would take "an entire army" to do it. The suggestion was NOT to have WCBB officials being supervised by former peers. @ThisJustIn has state this is not what is happening and based on previous posting I would take that to the bank. Until we get to the point of having machines call these games, call are going to be missed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom