So anyone else a little nervous about tomorrow night's game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So anyone else a little nervous about tomorrow night's game?

Reaction Score
I realize that 'biggest game ever' is just the way people like to talk about things these days, but it's a regular season game between two teams that will probably get 1 seeds regardless. I think some of the past Tennessee and Notre Dame games have had a lot more overall significance. The only thing that makes this one particularly big is that you know these women want their legacy to include passing the streak onto next years team (along with a streak of 5 NC's). This is only a long-distance perception but I think all the 'this is the year to get UConn' talk has really fueled their fire.
I agree, certainly, that past Tenn and ND games were more important.
Not entirely sure SC gets a #1 seed, if they lose tonight. Another reason why they'll be playing inspired.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I re-watched last year's game yesterday, and as far as I noticed (and I was looking for it), the Gamecocks did not score a single basket on a high-low play between Coates and Wilson. Of course, that was with Stewie and Tuck defending them, but still, Dawn got to see how UConn would defend the high-low. So the question is whether that knowledge will allow her to come up with a counterstrategy.

Apparently she said something about how they have plans in place to go to Options C and D if UConn takes away A and B. Since "A" has to be the high-low game, that could be interpreted as her saying that they may not have that option.

If UConn can take away their bread-and-butter offensive option, it seems rather unlikely that Options B, C, or D will work effectively enough to win the game -- unless Davis or Gray go on the rampage.

Reaction Score
Dawn is going to have to get something out of their guards. Geno knows Coates and Wilson will get theirs simply because they can out muscle the smaller UConn players unlike the past games.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Gray and Davis handle the pressure of a game of this magnitude. Cuevas has had 2 shots at UCONN and has been exposed by MoJeff. If she can give them competent pg play, that will be better than before. This game has a fan's attention. hence, the nervousness. UCONN 76- S Carolina 69

Reaction Score
These have been my predictions this year:
Preseason i picked Baylor over Uconn=wrong
N.D.over Uconn=wrong
Maryland over Uconn=wrong
I was certain N.D.would beat Tenn=wrong
I just knew S.C. would whoop Tenn.playing at home=wrong,so i am going to predict that S.C. will beat Uconn 67-65.There,if anyone is worried now fuggedaboutit.

Reaction Score
Nervous? Yep. I still think there are more ways for UConn to win this game than for SC to win it, but nothing's certain.

Reaction Score
I re-watched last year's game yesterday, and as far as I noticed (and I was looking for it), the Gamecocks did not score a single basket on a high-low play between Coates and Wilson. Of course, that was with Stewie and Tuck defending them, but still, Dawn got to see how UConn would defend the high-low. So the question is whether that knowledge will allow her to come up with a counterstrategy.

Apparently she said something about how they have plans in place to go to Options C and D if UConn takes away A and B. Since "A" has to be the high-low game, that could be interpreted as her saying that they may not have that option.

If UConn can take away their bread-and-butter offensive option, it seems rather unlikely that Options B, C, or D will work effectively enough to win the game -- unless Davis or Gray go on the rampage.

Let's not forget that Wilson was out of action for half the game due to the ankle injury she sustained in the first half. UConn's lead grew during her absence, and when she returned to the court the game became more competitive down the stretch. As with just about every team that threatens UConn it usually comes down to guard play - drives to the basket and three-point shooting. Beyond their scoring, Coates and Wilson can be major factors if they can rebound effectively. I do agree that scoring by Davis and Gray will be critical to an SC upset.

I want to see a great game, akin to the Baylor game back in November. Big Monday has been blessed the last few weeks with tense, competitive games that showcase the best qualities of wcbb.

Reaction Score
RealTimeRPI.com has us winning by 29 points, which is ridiculous. Just for kicks (I'm not a gambler), is there a point spread out of Vegas for tonight?

Reaction Score
And we will find out where you live and hunt you down! :)

that's funny........I do the same thing for a big game.........I just check the game thread and read how things are going and then watch when the coast is clear........it's worked so far........if I change my habits I'm afraid they might lose a game...............

Reaction Score
I always keep my ritual the same as well.Tomato soup with a straw,diet coke with a straw,all breakable items removed from the room,my family puts me in a straight jacket,and this is just for the highlights where Uconn scores all the points.

Reaction Score
that's funny..I do the same thing for a big game...I just check the game thread and read how things are going and then watch when the coast is clear..it's worked so far..if I change my habits I'm afraid they might lose a game....

That's my m.o. also.

Reaction Score
Not scared but this obviously is a game we'll have to play very well in or lose. If it is officiated like SC/Tenn and we get questionable calls like SC did, we'll be in trouble. That said, I LOVE these games, win or lose! I can't wait. Work is crawling by. We're the overall one seed either way. This is another great measuring stick…and if we do happen to drop this game, I hope the fans applaud the team for the great run it's had (and the start of another one of course).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Maybe that's the single biggest unknown: how many things have to go wrong? Because, in a game with so much pressure some things (but which ones?) almost always seem to go wrong. If Gabby picks up a couple of quick fouls, is that enough going wrong? Or does Pheesa also have to pick up early fouls? Or does it also require Lou missing from outside, etc.? 'Course, if you're right that Maya somehow gets into the game, UConn could have Molly, TLawlor, Kayla, and Natalie out there with her, and UConn would still cruise.
Funny. On the LadyVols board one poster said UConn could beat their current team with 4 players on the floor.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Dawn is going to have to get something out of their guards. Geno knows Coates and Wilson will get theirs simply because they can out muscle the smaller UConn players unlike the past games.
Huskies are good at defending the post-up and dump it in offense, mostly by denying or challenging the entry passes. If SC guards cant get to the rim off the dribble they'll have to knock down some jump shots. Foul trouble either way is a wild card but I think the Huskies magic number is 70 and they score 80. 80-68 Huskies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Wilson was out of action for half the game due to the ankle injury she sustained in the first half. UConn's lead grew during her absence, and when she returned to the court the game became more competitive down the stretch. As with just about every team that threatens UConn it usually comes down to guard play - drives to the basket and three-point shooting. Beyond their scoring, Coates and Wilson can be major factors if they can rebound effectively. I do agree that scoring by Davis and Gray will be critical to an SC upset.

I want to see a great game, akin to the Baylor game back in November. Big Monday has been blessed the last few weeks with tense, competitive games that showcase the best qualities of wcbb.
Yes, mostly true. When Wilson left the floor SC was down by 15. When she returned they were down by 21. But UConn also slowed the pace to take time off the clock later in the game which allowed SC to partially eat into the UConn lead.

Reaction Score
USC is #6 in the country. #6 teams are luckey to stay within 20 points of UCONN. Make that 8 to 12 with this depleted bunch.
Wasn't Stanford 6 or 7 or 8 when they beat us?

Reaction Score
Or is it just me?

I'm a bit nervous with every top 10 team Uconn has played this year--and for the past 4 years too. As much as we like to believe Uconn under Geno is invincible---THEY Ain't!! I'm amazed at what this team had done--and the individual accomplishments.
So--I'll chew my nails--until there is 1 minute to play with Uconn up by 20--and I'll think--they may actually win this one!!

Reaction Score
I agree, certainly, that past Tenn and ND games were more important.
Not entirely sure SC gets a #1 seed, if they lose tonight. Another reason why they'll be playing inspired.

Do you think U of Sourh Carolina will drop further than 3 or 4 if they should lose to Uconn? As far a motivation--they have all kinds of Motivation--10o---The number 1 team--- it is after all UCONN--seeding-- and maybe a dozen more. If they don't come out fired up and with all 5 hitting on all cylinders--drooling to beat Uconn at home---then Dawn should start coaching Golf!!

Reaction Score
And we will find out where you live and hunt you down! :)

I know where he lives---he is surrounded with great views ---Mountains--wild life--clear blue sky's ---I think that narrows it down--
He is in trouble now---with friends like me---who needs enemies!!

Reaction Score
Could be. This 5 is like a delicately tuned watch. She sits and things can get very off. The margin for error is very small. So, yeah I'm worried and will probably invoke my big game superstition and not watch live. I'd like to man up and outgrow this, but .. if I do and we lose I may never recover.

Since this is hypothetical --- You are correct this is a finely tuned machine--but with their propensity to score in bunches--Gabby or Napheesa (singularly) sitting , with Butler playing smart--neither sitting should lose the game --sitting for 5 minutes.
Don't " manup" for this game---I'm superstitious too---MoJO--let us not break the habits that got this team this far---apparently it is working. Walk into the room backwards to view the tape/CD!!
The good thing about this game is: except for stopping the 100---it really has little to do with the path forward to the NC--except a loss
will give Geno reason to have infinitely long practices ---and his--NOW you know how it feels to lose---do you like it????

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think Butler may be the key to winning this game. Obviously she's nowhere near as athletic as the Gamecock bigs, but if she can hold her own defensively in the paint, I think we'll be OK. She gives us 15 fouls to use on the front line. I think she will allow Geno to keep Collier and Williams in during crunch time if needed. Natalie has already played decently against some of our ranked OOC opponents this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom