SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SNY Gets the Broadcast Rights, CPTV Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

"The successful contractor will be required to demonstrate its ability to deliver a high quality production, including a requirement for HD broadcasts. In addition, the contractor must ensure, at a minimum, 100% statewide distribution. On cable systems,such distribution must include availability on a basic or expanded basic level of service (not a sports tier or other premium service level)"

DirecTV has 100% statewide distribution, and since it's not a "cable system," the games can be on a sports tier or premium service level. That would seem to be all that's needed to satisfy this poorly worded requirement.

Except DirectTV is not the successful contractor... SNY is.

Reaction Score
I can understand and from a professional experience in the same field understand Jerry Franklin's disappointment, but his comments were way, way, WAY out of line.
Jerry Franklin makes my skin crawl. Man up Jerry!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Mr006 - I am not sure I would call what we got from CPTV in terms of pre-game and post-game qualified as much better than just cutting into and out of the game, and as far as half time analysis, besides 30 sec with Chris we got nothing. We will have to wait and see, but supposedly we will be getting both a pre-game and postgame segment and I can't see them filling all of halftime with commercials so we probably get more there too - if they include any of the post game interviews - either live or on delayed sports news, I will think it is a significant bonus.
As far as filling the arenas for home games, I gather Uconn is discussing a black-out policy for all home games that are not sold out 24 before opening tip. I think that would work to improve attendance! :confused: (Sarcasm)

mr006

Reaction Score
As far as filling the arenas for home games, I gather Uconn is discussing a black-out policy for all home games that are not sold out 24 before opening tip. I think that would work to improve attendance! :confused: (Sarcasm)

Lovely - sounds par for the course :(. At the rate they are going, we won't see ANY of the games on TV anyway. Wonder if that would have filled up Webster Bank Arena for the NCAAs. Has someone told them that the interest (and attendance) has been declining lately? It's not just CPTV that's been seeing a decline. Unfortunately, I'm finding more and more reasons to not give my limited time and money to UConn. But they must know what they are doing, messing with what used to be a Connecticut institution... turning it into lots of things that I am trying to avoid.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Seems to me that the SNY change is an attempt to deal with declining interest and attendance i.e. promotion of UCONN in general.

“more of the same” approach dos not fit business models which always call for change, indeed, adaptation to social and economic circumstances. The fact of the matter is WCBB is a low interest commodity, even in CT(incredible to me as to how many CT residents-sports fans have never heard of Maya Moore). SNY deals with that better than CPTV. I congratulate Herbst for her foresight and risk tolerance. She seems like a genuine leader.

Reaction Score
Just listened to the President of SNY on WTICAM. Sounds to me like Im going to be receiving much more post game, pregame, specials such as Geno Legacy, weekly coaches show, etc . He said that UCONN will now be about 10 percent of their broadcasting on par with the Jets coverage. The Geno Legacy show sounds terrific. It will be hosted by Geno and he will be getting a chance to meet with some of his players and see what they are doing. I would love to see a show with Geno and Di. There is no way that CPTV could ever have done a show like that. This is a positive move for UConn and I agree that Herbst should be congratulated for her foresight.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ozzie, having thought about for couple of days I think it is more likely this deal with SNY is an attempt the strength of CT sports including WBB in the NY market as a way of demonstrating strength to conference suiters. It is a gamble depending on what the numbers prove to be. It is a chance to demonstrate UCONN directly against NYC schools and Rutgers.

Lan, that Legacy show is a great opportunity to show the great things UConn alums go on to do in the sport AND beyond the sport like Charde, Swin, Ketia, Ann and many others have done.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Ozzie, having thought about for couple of days I think it is more likely this deal with SNY is an attempt the strength of CT sports including WBB in the NY market as a way of demonstrating strength to conference suiters. It is a gamble depending on what the numbers prove to be. It is a chance to demonstrate UCONN directly against NYC schools and Rutgers.

Ice...with satellite TV, I think the move is far more than that…IMO it is fine step for UCONN WB.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree it goes further but having UCONN's name associated with a channel called Sportsnet New York reinforces the concept in homes nationwide.

Reaction Score
Except DirectTV is not the successful contractor... SNY is.

Obviously. The point is, SNY on DirecTV, even on a pay sports package, could satisfy that poorly worded contract requirement. People hoping for SNY to appear on all local cable systems should not hold their breath.

Reaction Score
CPTV did a great job bringing us UConn WBB and developing the team profile, but they hit inherent constraints in terms of being able to expand the "brand" viewership and recognition, and also to position UConn for the challenges posed by conference realignments. UConn administration read the shifting landscape and rightly looked for, and ultimately selected, another contractor to (hopefully) continue to expand the WBB brand to strengthen UConn's overall position.

Like so many fans, I have some anxiety going forward because I am very addicted to the WBB product CPTV developed and marketed, and I am very invested in continuing to see the UConn WBB product. The team is more like family to me than CPTV is - I would welcome any of the team members into my house, but not Jerry et al....

I am cautiously optimistic in what I have heard about the future programming since the announcement. UConn seems to have understood what we fans want and communicated that as part of the RFP, and SNY seems to be saying all the right things about delivering on what we fans want. Give the local cable companies a few weeks to hear from us fans - - they just learned about the SNY decision and they will desperately be wanting to cater to that large number of fans that J. Franklin quoted as formerly CPTV viewership for WBB.

As for CPTV, they may have been a nonprofit, but UConn WBB was very much a business and a financial driver for them (the marketing, the substantial income that supported the WBB and other programming). CPTV had their own family style delivery approach, but it was always a business, at least for Franklin and the CPTV administration. They were in it to maximize income and they were as stringent about it as most any advertiser on commercial TV - it's just they did that within a nonprofit business structure compared to a profit driven structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom