Sneak peek at Alumni Court at Gampel Pavilion! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sneak peek at Alumni Court at Gampel Pavilion!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Basketball Capital of the World is deserving to be on the court. During major games and continued success cameras will pan on those words and remind people UConn has been the pre-eminent school in basketball in modern times.

It’s subtle enough for me. Every time it happens I’ll know @kobe has an opportunity to be reminded of this fact. Bonus points knowing Dukie, fruit and Friar fans have that opportunity as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That big blank court is the perfect "screen" for the laser projectors we already have installed at Gampel. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I just think it’s tacky. don’t like self proclaimed titles.

UConn’s blue blood status is well in hand, but I can’t see any of the other blue bloods putting this on their court
If I recall that was a Dick Vitale proclamation wasn't it? And it has caught on with announcers. Therefore not truly self proclaimed.

Reaction Score

UConn’s blue blood status is well in hand, but I can’t see any of the other blue bloods putting this on their court
It is more a product of the success of BOTH teams, women’s as well. No other blue blood school comes close in that regard.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Nice. Expect an email from Kyle Muncy.
“THEY have the UConn Huskies, WE have the Yukon Sled Dogs”.

IMG_6565.jpeg

Reaction Score

Agree. At this point, we are a blue blood. That is already evident. Are we trying to convince ourselves of that? I’d also rather see the white husky logo.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Agree. At this point, we are a blue blood. That is already evident. Are we trying to convince ourselves of that? I’d also rather see the white husky logo.
Agree on the first part. No way on the last.

Reaction Score
Basketball Capital of the World is deserving to be on the court. During major games and continued success cameras will pan on those words and remind people UConn has been the pre-eminent school in basketball in modern times.

It’s subtle enough for me. Every time it happens I’ll know @kobe has an opportunity to be reminded of this fact. Bonus points knowing Dukie, fruit and Friar fans have that opportunity as well.
I think it should be Calhoun Court

CL82

Reaction Score
I think it should be Calhoun Court
What about him? He’s got two Olympic gold medals too

View attachment 90365
Lol, I love that picture. Particularly in that it was a response to a Stewart picture showing off three rings.

In any event, I have long championed renaming the court "Hall of Fame Court". I would add Calhoun's name along one end line and Auriemma's along another end line. Not the full length of it, mind you but visible on each side. I would then add the names and numbers of every other Connecticut player or coach who has earned Naismith Hall of Fame honors, So Ray, Rebecca, Swin soon to be joined by Bird, Tarausi, possibly Hamilton, etc. I just think that it is a nice way to celebrate the basketball excellence we have had a Connecticut. For what it's worth Dave Benedict balks at the idea, because the court is already named Alumni Court. I have to believe if you reached out to the alumni Association they'd be fine with the change, or if not at least be fine with "Alumni/Hall of Fame Court."

Now, the last piece of this puzzle in my view is to rename hillside as "Auriemma Avenue". That would put Gampel at the intersection of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue. It would also become an obligatory opening camera shot for on campus televised games. In that way, everyone gets there due and we get away to celebrate our unique tradition of excellence.

Reaction Score
Any change in the court name would require working out a deal with the Alumni Association (now the Foundation). My guess is that the Alumni Association made some monetary donation when the building opened to help fund its construction which is how the name got there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lol, I love that picture. Particularly in that it was a response to a Stewart picture showing off three rings.

In any event, I have long championed renaming the court "Hall of Fame Court". I would add Calhoun's name along one end line and Auriemma's along another end line. Not the full length of it, mind you but visible on each side. I would then add the names and numbers of every other Connecticut player or coach who has earned Naismith Hall of Fame honors, So Ray, Rebecca, Swin soon to be joined by Bird, Tarausi, possibly Hamilton, etc. I just think that it is a nice way to celebrate the basketball excellence we have had a Connecticut. For what it's worth Dave Benedict balks at the idea, because the court is already named Alumni Court. I have to believe if you reached out to the alumni Association they'd be fine with the change, or if not at least be fine with "Alumni/Hall of Fame Court."

Now, the last piece of this puzzle in my view is to rename hillside as "Auriemma Avenue". That would put Gampel at the intersection of Jim Calhoun Way and Auriemma Avenue. It would also become an obligatory opening camera shot for on campus televised games. In that way, everyone gets there due and we get away to celebrate our unique tradition of excellence.
DB’s solution

9E5D096E-66AA-49A4-93A3-05C7B298D489.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
It would be on the other side line where it says "Alumni Court" in the new design. You could still leave basketball capital of the world on the other side line.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should drip blue paint leading to the UConn bench to symbolize blue blood.

Reaction Score

Clean, Simple and Classy.
It says we've been there and we don't need cheap attention grabbing graphics to let the world know what arena they're in or seeing on some form of media!

Reaction Score
Normally I might agree with you. But at this point, if we have to become the bad guy, the most hated program in America, I'm ok with that. If left out of a P5 we might need to just embrace our role as the destroyer of other team's hopes and dreams.
Plus it’s off to the side, it’s not like it’s emblazed in the the middle of the court.

Reaction Score
What does chatGPT or Bing say about who is the basketball capital of the world? If AI says we are the capital, you can't argue with that :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The alumni association should have no problems putting Geno and Jims names on the baseline. Why would they be petty about that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom