Smu | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Smu

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
SMU had 4 timeouts. Does Larry know you can't carry those over to next year?

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
SMU played just like UConn most of that game. Get down by a bunch, make a great run to get back in the game and take the lead, then give it away at the end.

The call was horrible, but as others have said, it shouldn't have gotten to that point. You gotta let someone other than Alford get a shot up at the end.

Reaction Score
SMU had 4 timeouts. Does Larry know you can't carry those over to next year?

It will get lost with the bad call but he was about as bad as any coach I've seen in a late game situation before. 3 key spots where timeouts were needed and he used none. I understand he has been sick but that is what assistants are for. He was the chief reason that game came down to that call.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It will get lost with the bad call but he was about as bad as any coach I've seen in a late game situation before. 3 key spots where timeouts were needed and he used none. I understand he has been sick but that is what assistants are for. He was the chief reason that game came down to that call.

"and it'd be nice if we played a little defense and grabbed some rebounds"

Reaction Score
It's a tough call, but holy , you just cannot reach up for that ball there. It was likely going to hit the front of the rim, and in real time from a different angle, you can see how a ref was going to call that.

Reaction Score
Well if there is justice in this world, the guy who clocked Boatright, which kept UConn out of the dance, got called for goal tending that knocked SMU out of the dance. Ollie has a vengeful god.
That guy did not clock Boatright, trust me if it was a dirty play we all on the Yard would have called it out.

It was a fluke injury which wouldn't happen on a 100 more plays. Boat's shoulder hit the elbow (which was tucked in) in the wrong spot. The same picks happen every game and on a lot of plays. Boat was not making an issue with that play and neither was Ollie. It was a good pick and certainly not malicious, from what I saw.

But you are right, he is the guy who ruined Boat's ending and possibly affecting his NBA status, that part sucks big time. As far as the UCLA game, I wonder what would have happen if he didn't tip that ball and just let it be.

Now we just have Cincy who happens to be in uk's bracket.

Reaction Score
I am left wondering if the "bookies" got to that SMU player who made that ridiculous pass to the other team when SMU had the ball, up 2, with, what, 20 or so seconds left?

seemed like every shot SMU threw up in their games against UCONN went in, no matter the player...today, they were missing, frequently, shots they sank against the Huskies. that was the case for every team that played UCONN this year, though. like the kid from Memphis whose parents were at the game...like I said to my wife during that game, sarcastically, I hope that that kids parents aren't hoping for grandkids, cause their son just blew his best load in that game

Reaction Score
It's a tough call, but holy , you just cannot reach up for that ball there. It was likely going to hit the front of the rim, and in real time from a different angle, you can see how a ref was going to call that.

In the SMU players defense he sees the shot is going to miss and reaches up to secure it because if he doesn't grab the ball it could go to a UCLA player for the O board to tie it up.

Reaction Score
I am left wondering if the "bookies" got to that SMU player who made that ridiculous pass to the other team when SMU had the ball, up 2, with, what, 20 or so seconds left?

seemed like every shot SMU threw up in their games against UCONN went in, no matter the player...today, they were missing, frequently, shots they sank against the Huskies. that was the case for every team that played UCONN this year, though. like the kid from Memphis whose parents were at the game...like I said to my wife during that game, sarcastically, I hope that that kids parents aren't hoping for grandkids, cause their son just blew his best load in that game
Strange. It's almost as if they aren't professional athletes yet, and instead are young, untested, inconsistent college kids.

That would be the only explanation besides cheating I could come up with.

Reaction Score
In the SMU players defense he sees the shot is going to miss and reaches up to secure it because if he doesn't grab the ball it could go to a UCLA player for the O board to tie it up.
Especially since it was such an obvious miss.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
That guy did not clock Boatright, trust me if it was a dirty play we all on the Yard would have called it out.

It was a fluke injury which wouldn't happen on a 100 more plays. Boat's shoulder hit the elbow (which was tucked in) in the wrong spot. The same picks happen every game and on a lot of plays. Boat was not making an issue with that play and neither was Ollie. It was a good pick and certainly not malicious, from what I saw.

But you are right, he is the guy who ruined Boat's ending and possibly affecting his NBA status, that part sucks big time. As far as the UCLA game, I wonder what would have happen if he didn't tip that ball and just let it be.

Now we just have Cincy who happens to be in uk's bracket.

That is not the play I am talking about. Under the rim with at the 18:31 in the first period when Boat hit the deck holding his head is the play to which I am referring. Watch the replay. Moreia's one arm went for the ball while the other for Boat's head. Boat went down like a shot. This was no passing blow. This was a hard slam And no accident. Boat was hazy rest of the game. Shot 1 for 12.

Reaction Score
Was going to hit the front rim.

The ball was a full cylinder off to the right, and well, NOT goaltending.

11065483_10206070509464398_634980467062202350_n.jpg

Reaction Score

It took a near perfect choke job to blow that lead by SMU. They had completely taken control of the game with a 19-0 run and UCLA was not scoring anywhere outside of Alford. UCLA even handed SMU the ball for a dunk that was looking like the clincher.

Moore of SMU let Alford get free for open 3's 2 times which was huge in cutting the lead. And than that pass you refer to. Complete disorganization. And now you leave yourself open to a bad call screw job ending.

Larry Brown taking about as much of a hands off approach as I've ever seen in a late game NCAA situation was key to that collapse. Usually coaches over manage late. Brown did nothing for 2 full minutes of blowing a lead.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
It took a near perfect choke job to blow that lead by SMU. They had completely taken control of the game with a 19-0 road and UCLA was not scoring anywhere outside of Alford.

Moore of SMU let Alford get free for open 3's 2 times which was huge in cutting the lead. And than that pass you refer to. Complete disorganization. And now you leave yourself open to a bad call screw job ending.

Larry Brown taking about as much of a hands off approach as I've ever seen in a late game NCAA situation was key to that collapse.

Alford pushed off on Nic on one of his made threes.

Reaction Score
Pathetic, couldn't even get them to the rim.
The second shot looked good to me. And then it was about a foot short of going in, only grazing the front of the rim.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That is not the play I am talking about. Under the rim with at the 18:31 in the first period when Boat hit the deck holding his head is the play to which I am referring. Watch the replay. Moreia's one arm went for the ball while the other for Boat's head. Boat went down like a shot. This was no passing blow. This was a hard slam And no accident. Boat was hazy rest of the game. Shot 1 for 12.
I actually thought SMU tried to get Boatright out of the game because they knew we couldn't win without him.

Reaction Score
Sorry. That play was malicious without any retribution by his teammates.

Reaction Score
I think SMU might be the new Pitt. Regardless of how they look in the regular season, pick them at your own peril to do much beyond the first game of the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom