SMU vs Memphis ESPN2 9pm | The Boneyard

SMU vs Memphis ESPN2 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Lets see how these teams perform... Have seen SMU twice this year, thought they played well but they have the craziest turnovers... Havent seen Memphis, just score lines and they seem very suspect.... I got SMU in this game though by 8

Reaction Score
Memphis looks pitiful in this game so far. Below expectations and my expectations were set very low.

Reaction Score
The wheels are falling off the tracks in a hurry for Memphis. Partner is done. I wonder who they'll bring in?

Reaction Score
amoeba shooting sixty out of eighty seven field goals, sixty nine percent; this staff pass arithmetic yet; amoeba needs alot more field goal attempts per game; he can miss all of them for three straight games and still be superior to anything else on roster; they dont get jack jones; i give up

Reaction Score
Weird team and he has to be an awful coach, just has to be. Nichols is better but way too talented to not be more of an impact. His blocks are up but he still plays a bit soft on the offensive end - some is on him some on the staff. Goodwin? 5 and 3 last night - from the guy? He is too good of a player to allow that kind of performance.

I don't know the kids so I won't talk about them too much but we talked about the "questionable" kids, both academically as well as off the court, who he brings in that many others are hands off. They don;t listen to teachers or coaches as they grow up and now, well let's just say there may be a pattern but I'm only assuming because they look pretty bad. Thing is they are talented enough to beat us so I will hold off on trashing them!

On the other hand SMU is playing very well and Kennedy is getting healthy. He is a man inside (only had 3 boards though) and a tough match up for any of our guys!

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
The wheels have already come off for us (Memphis). Pastner has lost the team, the fan base, and the local media and most just hope we can find a good replacement. Although his actual coaching ability was somewhat questionable from the start, most were more than willing to give him repeated chances to improve, since he had such a sterling character reputation and was a good recruiter.

Reaction Score
I got an idea. If Pastner gets fired then Ollie hires him as a recruiting assistant. He is a very good recruiter. Although he makes a lot of money at Memphis and I doubt he wants to be an assistant again.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Weird team and he has to be an awful coach, just has to be. Nichols is better but way too talented to not be more of an impact. His blocks are up but he still plays a bit soft on the offensive end - some is on him some on the staff. Goodwin? 5 and 3 last night - from the guy? He is too good of a player to allow that kind of performance.

I don't know the kids so I won't talk about them too much but we talked about the "questionable" kids, both academically as well as off the court, who he brings in that many others are hands off. They don;t listen to teachers or coaches as they grow up and now, well let's just say there may be a pattern but I'm only assuming because they look pretty bad. Thing is they are talented enough to beat us so I will hold off on trashing them!

On the other hand SMU is playing very well and Kennedy is getting healthy. He is a man inside (only had 3 boards though) and a tough match up for any of our guys!

To my eyes, Memphis played the type of game that allowed Kennedy to run out on transition even before the rebound hit anyone's hands - looked like at times he was basket hanging at the other end. He is a good player - no doubt.
He also looks like there is a stamina issue but that will go away.
Memphis is very disorganized and looks like a chicken with his head cut off

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I got an idea. If Pastner gets fired then Ollie hires him as a recruiting assistant. He is a very good recruiter. Although he makes a lot of money at Memphis and I doubt he wants to be an assistant again.

Never happen
He's a perfect west coast kind of guy - will be out there somewhere

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

Josh Pastner is far too arrogant to be an asst coach again. If he were willing to take advice from other coaches, and make changes, he wouldn't be in his current situation.

Pastner needs a mid-major more concerned with APR and graduating players than winning...Rice would be perfect for him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

That's a bunch of NCAA violations waiting to happen. I wouldn't be a fan.

Reaction Score
That's a bunch of NCAA violations waiting to happen. I wouldn't be a fan.
Did I miss something at Arizona? Don't remember any recruiting violations there.

I think Pastner does what he has to do at Memphis. I don't think he cheats. Toes the line, like almost all coaches in D1.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Did I miss something at Arizona? Don't remember any recruiting violations there.

I think Pastner does what he has to do at Memphis. I don't think he cheats. Toes the line, like almost all coaches in D1.

I have no proof, just conjecture. He strikes me as a sleazy guy.

Reaction Score
OK, I've been one of Pastner's bigger critics for a while, but I'm a little surprised at how quickly Memphis fans have turned on him. I get that they are an unwatchable mess right now, but why are people so surprised? They lost a ton from last years team, particularly in the back court and from a leadership standpoint. Again, I have never been a big Pastner fan, but if you were on board with him before the season, I think it's a little premature to be scrambling for a replacement after a rocky beginning to a predictably rocky season. In my mind, he deserves one more year before you throw in the towel.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
OK, I've been one of Pastner's bigger critics for a while, but I'm a little surprised at how quickly Memphis fans have turned on him. I get that they are an unwatchable mess right now, but why are people so surprised? They lost a ton from last years team, particularly in the back court and from a leadership standpoint. Again, I have never been a big Pastner fan, but if you were on board with him before the season, I think it's a little premature to be scrambling for a replacement after a rocky beginning to a predictably rocky season. In my mind, he deserves one more year before you throw in the towel.
Around here we are used to the WTF year every 3 or 4 seasons. Memphis fans have an entitlement mentality since Cal got there.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I have no proof, just conjecture. He strikes me as a sleazy guy.

That's the BS the gets me (and that's what it is, BS)...since Calipari, we graduate players, not one of our kids have been arrested, we have a perfect APR...and we stay out of NCAA trouble.

It's losing to CBU, Stephen F Austin, and Tulane that I can't stand.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

If Pastner had scrubs, that would be one thing...we started the season with:

PG - Pookie Powell (four-star player)
G/F - Markel Crawford (four-star player)
G/F - Nick King (four-star player)
F - Austin Nichols (five-star player)
F - Shaq Goodwin (McDonalds All-American)
-----------------------
PG - Dom Magee (four-star player)
PG - Kedren Johnson (Vandy Transfer)
G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
G/F - Kuran Iverson (four-star player)
G/F - Trahson Burrell (three-star player)
G/F - Chris Hawkins (CC Transfer)
PF - Calvin Godfrey

The talent is there, but the coaching is not...2 are already leaving.

Reaction Score
If Pastner had scrubs, that would be one thing...we started the season with:

PG - Pookie Powell (four-star player)
G/F - Markel Crawford (four-star player)
G/F - Nick King (four-star player)
F - Austin Nichols (five-star player)
F - Shaq Goodwin (McDonalds All-American)
-----------------------
PG - Dom Magee (four-star player)
PG - Kedren Johnson (Vandy Transfer)
G - Avery Woodson (CC Transfer)
G/F - Kuran Iverson (four-star player)
G/F - Trahson Burrell (three-star player)
G/F - Chris Hawkins (CC Transfer)
PF - Calvin Godfrey

The talent is there, but the coaching is not...2 are already leaving.

I'm not saying you don't have talent. I know you do. But as we learn every year in this sport, it isn't as simple as just replenishing talented graduates with talented newcomers. There is a certain team continuity and individual development that has to materialize before that talent can seep through. Florida and UConn - two teams that were in the final four last season - have lost a combined ten games this year, and they have as much or more talent than Memphis. We have one of the best programs in America and we lost to freaking Yale.

This stuff is hard. Unless you're a freshman at Kentucky or Duke, you're probably going to have to fail before you succeed. Next season Memphis will have back virtually their entire team - think of how much better the current group of Tiger players will be with another 20 games this season, in addition to an entire offseason of reps. As I've said, I do not think Pastner is a good coach, but I don't think you can make any rash judgments based on a handful of frustrating games this season.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I'm not saying you don't have talent. I know you do. But as we learn every year in this sport, it isn't as simple as just replenishing talented graduates with talented newcomers. There is a certain team continuity and individual development that has to materialize before that talent can seep through. Florida and UConn - two teams that were in the final four last season - have lost a combined ten games this year, and they have as much or more talent than Memphis. We have one of the best programs in America and we lost to freaking Yale.

This stuff is hard. Unless you're a freshman at Kentucky or Duke, you're probably going to have to fail before you succeed. Next season Memphis will have back virtually their entire team - think of how much better the current group of Tiger players will be with another 20 games this season, in addition to an entire offseason of reps. As I've said, I do not think Pastner is a good coach, but I don't think you can make any rash judgments based on a handful of frustrating games this season.

I don't think we can afford to keep him as the fans who buy tickets are giving up...pic from the last home game:

image_zps8ceb760b.jpg

Reaction Score
hey tiger cub folk: keep buying the star system and cheesy sandwich rating of yo playas

yo be in cellar if yo continue

get out there to scout for yourself and you would see like olywould who is dude who do alot more wit alot less; study sledteam roster and assign yo lucky stars . . .

send us yo report snail male cause no urgency; weweez no what we gotz, bottom of barrel as usual in majority of cases

fiasco lead fotbal club: the stench is creeping on to court from gridiron even for folks who dont buy in storr

fiasco played defense in clg, he neverever play d in pros, he asst coach defense in clg, he ceo of clg team wit defense emphasized

olywould play d in clg, play d in pros, asst coach d in clg, ceo of clg team wit d emphasis

lucky hoop offfices in storr in new, separate facility as far from reekalo feauxbal as possible, however not far enuf wit what we seize on court currently; solution is to move all hoop industry to branch campus pronto to salvage salad season, but it may be too late now

dogs further d emphasis on 94 fotter by pounding ball 30+sec each shot clock by boat and then chuck heave
looks like olywould promise boat if he return for sr yr, he do whats he wish to make pros/rules of engagement are skewed to fill boat up but boat in reality sinking with this strategic/

what olywould purv promise; at this point from observing it only all sandwiches he wants cause he bogged down and in turn he bog down offense/this team mirror its coach; dont score cause coach couldnot so all dudes play follow dee leader; maybe we seize titlt in high thirties today vs sincinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom