SMU/LSU: SMU arena is rocking | The Boneyard

SMU/LSU: SMU arena is rocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching SMU/LSU NIT game. The fans are really into the game and it's a good game. Turn it on. SMU can develop into a good program.

Reaction Score
SMU is going to continue to get better with Brown. Mudiay coming in next year with the possibility of Myles Turner is really nice.

For SMU it's all about who comes in after Brown. He can only coach so much longer.

Reaction Score
SMU is going to continue to get better with Brown. Mudiay coming in next year with the possibility of Myles Turner is really nice.

For SMU it's all about who comes in after Brown. He can only coach so much longer.

Brown is showing what is possible at SMU and the next coach should be a good one. Announcers are raving about the atmosphere at the game.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
If they don't improve the OOC scheduling they will be playing a lot of home games in mid-March. Outside of Moody they are very, very average.

Reaction Score
It may be better to them that they didn't make the NCAA tourney this year if they can make it to the finals or win the NIT. I doubt they would have gotten a win in the NCAAT, but they aren't a program that is expected to at this moment.

Reaction Score
They are playing Wichita St at a neutral court next year I think.

EDIT: never mind, that's Memphis.

pj

Reaction Score
They might have won a game as a 12 seed, the 5 seeds weren't that strong. But, I agree, winning the NIT is a great feather in their cap, and having more home games helps build the fan base. It is a good stepping stone. They could be our major rival.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They might have won a game as a 12 seed, the 5 seeds weren't that strong. But, I agree, winning the NIT is a great feather in their cap, and having more home games helps build the fan base. It is a good stepping stone. They could be our major rival.
Let's hope we're not in the AAC long enough for that to happen.

Reaction Score

The are already our major rival. They beat us twice this year.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If they don't improve the OOC scheduling they will be playing a lot of home games in mid-March. Outside of Moody they are very, very average.

They HAD to play that because their arena was under renovation...they played at several small local arenas limiting their scheduling ability...wont be a problem going forward.

Reaction Score
Great game. Great crowd. Felt like a NCAA game. Best of luck to the SMU program. Good win. Hopefully SMU can turn into a contender every year while we are part of the league

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
It may be better to them that they didn't make the NCAA tourney this year if they can make it to the finals or win the NIT. I doubt they would have gotten a win in the NCAAT, but they aren't a program that is expected to at this moment.
I'd rather go to the dance and never win then not get in and win the NIT

Reaction Score

Winning the NIT wouldn't really help a program move up. :rolleyes: Yeah, I know you mean now. But for any other "non major" program it can make a huge difference.

Reaction Score
You say that in the wake of 3 NC and yearly expectations for the Tourny.
We were in a bunch of NCAA as an auto qualifier. Even won some.
That's nice but the 1988 NIT champioship ,actually beating teams with significant name recognition at MSG ,was the biggest thing in UConn basketball up to that point.
It stamped us as a legit national player. If your not old enough to remember you have no clue. For a team like SMU winning the NIT at the garden would be similar to UConn 1988.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown has turned SMU basketball at gorgeous Moody's into an event complete with celebrity sightings. The sky is the limit for them next year, they could be the best team in the country in 2015.

....and none of it would have happened without their upgrade to the AAC. (Brown would have never taken the job) Hopefully Houston can follow in their footsteps, it appears they are going to give it a shot.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
You say that in the wake of 3 NC and yearly expectations for the Tourny.
We were in a bunch of NCAA as an auto qualifier. Even won some.
That's nice but the 1988 NIT champioship ,actually beating teams with significant name recognition at MSG ,was the biggest thing in UConn basketball up to that point.
It stamped us as a legit national player. If your not old enough to remember you have no clue. For a team like SMU winning the NIT at the garden would be similar to UConn 1988.
I remember wearing the NIT Championship to high school and kids saying basically, "Who's UCONN? " We've come a long way. It's true what the ESPN announcers were saying. Some teams in the NIT don't want to be there and some want to prove something. In '88, we were happy to be there.

Reaction Score
Winning the '88 NIT was everything to us at the time. (I was at the semis vs BCU and the place was rockin'!) It was the first time since the formation of the BE (at least) that UConn hoops could be synonymous with anything resembling good basketball. That of course lead to the '90 Dream Season and so on which put them on a national level, and the world had forever changed for UConn sports.

A deep NIT run could help SMU too. It's a stepping stone for them just like it was for us. Good for the AAC.

Reaction Score
I remember wearing the NIT Championship to high school and kids saying basically, "Who's UCONN? " We've come a long way. It's true what the ESPN announcers were saying. Some teams in the NIT don't want to be there and some want to prove something. In '88, we were happy to be there.
For an example. I spent a lot of time in Kentucky in my career.
Wearing UConn gear anonymously.
After the NIT championship over an Ohio State team that had beaten Kentucky the year before. Kentucky fans gave me an acceptance that without that win never would have happened. They knew who we were that's a good feeling.

Reaction Score
The NIT may be second fiddle but for a team in rebuilding mode, it can be a springboard to higher heights. No shame in winning the Tourney, maybe not for pride or trophy but for confidence and extra team building time.

Just tell the winner not to raise the "we're number one" finger.

Reaction Score
Great that they sold out for a NIT game. If they get Turner to commit, watch out next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom