Smoke's clearing a bit on this CYO breakaway... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Smoke's clearing a bit on this CYO breakaway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Thought I'd thow some more details reported by Thamel. SI is saying this is a done deal. Lot's complexities, including the exit fee money, the NCAA unit share etc.

Interesting quote from the Marquette AD. Reminds us of the original purpose of the Big East.

"What's football going to look like in 15 years?" Marquette athletic director Larry Williams

told ESPN 540 in Milwaukee

. "They may not be in the power position they are in today. How do we as an elite basketball program fit into the landscape of this football dominated environment? I don't have a complete answer for you, but that's the question."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20121213/big-east-basketball/#ixzz2ExLvbcII

Marquette thinks it's an elite basketball school, that's cute.

Reaction Score
They have more titles and Final Fours than all the remaining football schools left in our program other than UConn and Cincy. That would make them Elite relative to the remainder of the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True. A program that was specifically asked to join the BE and rejected it. So it's not like a conference without Rutgers and Louisville is going to get BYU to join. They're not available.

Perhaps I should rephrase: Name an available team better than UConn...

This year? Most of the MAC, half of CUSA, and half of the MWC. Football isn't getting us in any doors. Our differentiator lies elsewhere.

Reaction Score
This year? Most of the MAC, half of CUSA, and half of the MWC. Football isn't getting us in any doors. Our differentiator lies elsewhere.
I didn't say this year. We have two BE titles, and a BCS bid. In 10 years. We're better than the MAC, CUSA, and the MWC schools that are not coming to the BE.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They have more titles and Final Fours than all the remaining football schools left in our program other than UConn and Cincy. That would make them Elite relative to the remainder of the conference.

Marquette has been better than Cinci in recent history. Even their last title in 77 is 15 years more recent than Cinci's last title. Cinci hasn't made a FF since 1993. Marquette 2003. Marquette has D-Wade...Cinci has produced who exactly?

Reaction Score
Marquette has been better than Cinci in recent history. Even their last title in 77 is 15 years more recent than Cinci's last title. Cinci hasn't made a FF since 1993. Marquette 2003. Marquette has D-Wade...Cinci has produced who exactly?
Melvin "The Helicopter" Levitt

Reaction Score
But your point is right. People downplaying the success of the non-football playing teams are doing so without a real sense of their ability. They're going to take the best remaining schools from the A10 and be a damn good 9-10 team conference that gets to play round-robin with each other again.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But your point is right. People downplaying the success of the non-football playing teams are doing so without a real sense of their ability. They're going to take the best remaining schools from the A10 and be a damn good 9-10 team conference that gets to play round-robin with each other again.

Yep. If they go to 12 it would probably be the best hoops league outside of the ACC and B1G.

Reaction Score
Yep. If they go to 12 it would probably be the best hoops league outside of the ACC and B1G.

Keep dreaming.

This league loses all of its cache once the UConns of the world are out of its orbit. Schools like Villanova bring nothing that Temple doesn't other than being lucky enough to play BE basketball.

Reaction Score
Keep dreaming.

This league loses all of its cache once the UConns of the world are out of its orbit. Schools like Villanova bring nothing that Temple doesn't other than being lucky enough to play BE basketball.
Dude, if they take Butler, VCU, and someone else, those schools have more Final Fours in the last 5 years than just about any other conference: Butler x2, Georgetown, Villanova, VCU.

I don't know why people keep downplaying their success...

Reaction Score
Dude, if they take Butler, VCU, and someone else, those schools have more Final Fours in the last 5 years than just about any other conference: Butler x2, Georgetown, Villanova, VCU.

G'town and Nova were IN the BE! This is my point.

Then you have to hang your hat on VCU and Butler!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Add Xavier to that list. Maybe no FF, but damned good. Creighton is too. I'm also assuming that there is a shot we go with them, and play FB in the NNBE or whatever it will be as before. So add UConn and Cinci to the list and it's an amazing league.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Can I just ask, who is tuning in to watch a Butler, VCU, Xavier, Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence, or St Johns game? What do these schools expect to get $$ wise? This is all about the dollars so who's paying for that? Will it nab more than what will be left? Sure but just imagine what having UConn and UC would add to that deal? I just don't get it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Can I just ask, who is tuning in to watch a Butler, VCU, Xavier, Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence, or St Johns game? What do these schools expect to get $$ wise? This is all about the dollars so who's paying for that? Will it nab more than what will be left? Sure but just imagine what having UConn and UC would add to that deal? I just don't get it.

If Georgetown and Butler are ranked, I'd turn it on. I love basketball.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Who says that they won't add UConn and Cinci to the deal? They want to avoid the Florida schools, TX schools, and Tulane. That's the real question here, play FB and olympics with the FB schools, or just football.

Reaction Score

Probably a lot more people than who would tune in to watch UCF and UCONN play football..

Reaction Score

Exactly. The entire concept is to return to the roots that built the BE, basketball schools with common interests. Rest comfortably that UCONN and Cincy won't be included in the move.

Reaction Score

Probably a lot more people than who would tune in to watch UCF and UCONN play football..
What are the stakes? If Duke was playing Kentucky, but both were 0-12, no one but their fans would watch. If a highly ranked Butler is playing a highly ranked Xavier, and it's easily available, I'd watch.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The entire concept is to return to the roots that built the BE, basketball schools with common interests. Rest comfortably that UCONN and Cincy won't be included in the move.

Back then, schools like Holy Cross, St. Joseph's, Xavier were just as viable as the Catholics that went to the BE. If any of those 3 had joined the BE, they could have had similar success to those that did join and gained a lot of notoriety from scheduling games against the likes of Uconn, Syracuse and even Louisville. You're going now into a situation where YOU are the next St. Joseph's or Xavier. I hope UConn has better things in its future, because I certainly don't want to see the school's bball fall into that hellhole.

That hellhole for you may be an upgrade. Not for Uconn.

caw

Reaction Score

Marquette is not an elite program. This is not really debatable. Just after the third UConn championship people were still debating if UConn was elite, though people seem to agree it is now.

They are a good program, sure. Not elite.

Being called elite in college basketball is reserved for a few programs, Marquette is not one of them.

Reaction Score
Marquette is not an elite program. This is not really debatable. Just after the third UConn championship people were still debating if UConn was elite, though people seem to agree it is now.

Being called elite in college basketball is reserved for a few programs, Marquette is not one of them.
They don't need to be elite. No conference needs a bunch of "elite" squads.

SEC has Kentucky. Florida is debatable. The end.

ACC had UNC and Duke.

B1G had who, exactly? Michigan State?

B12 had Kansas.

That's it. So a conference with a bunch of really successful schools is going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
Back then, schools like Holy Cross, St. Joseph's, Xavier were just as viable as the Catholics that went to the BE. If any of those 3 had joined the BE, they could have had similar success to those that did join and gained a lot of notoriety from scheduling games against the likes of Uconn, Syracuse and even Louisville. You're going now into a situation where YOU are the next St. Joseph's or Xavier. I hope UConn has better things in its future, because I certainly don't want to see the school's bball fall into that hellhole.

That hellhole for you may be an upgrade. Not for Uconn.
At this point, it appears anywhere UCONN lands will be an upgrade. Comical how your president was publicly begging to hold the league together until she could find somewhere else to land. Unfortunately the music has stopped and UCONN appears to be holding its pud.

Reaction Score

And what was Marquette doing languishing in CUSA?

By the way, CUSA probably had better bball back then than did this glorified version of the A10.

Go back to 1995-2005, I think I'd take Memphis, Louisville, Cincy over Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova.

Reaction Score
At this point, it appears anywhere UCONN lands will be an upgrade. Comical how your president was publicly begging to hold the league together until she could find somewhere else to land. Unfortunately the music has stopped and UCONN appears to be holding its pud.

The begging report was false. Looking forward to your third post.

Reaction Score
And what was Marquette doing languishing in CUSA?

By the way, CUSA probably had better bball back then than did this glorified version of the A10.

Go back to 1995-2005, I think I'd take Memphis, Louisville, Cincy over Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova.
They did make a Final Four from CUSA. That's why.

Louisville is better than any team in the CYO. But Cincy isn't. Certainly Memphis is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom