Smoke's clearing a bit on this CYO breakaway... | The Boneyard

Smoke's clearing a bit on this CYO breakaway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Word on the street: the hoops schools want to break away and take UConn/Cincy olympic sports with them.

I gueeesss that would be okay for us in the short-term, but fb would be dead-man-walking within 4-5 years...

Reaction Score
Word on the street: the hoops schools want to break away and take UConn/Cincy olympic sports with them.

I gueeesss that would be okay for us in the short-term, but fb would be dead-man-walking within 4-5 years...
Not if they leave their football in the BE.

I wouldn't hate this (unless it is a long term thing).

Reaction Score
I'm sure Boise St and San Diego St can deal with football only, but SMU and USF are your partners. They are the ones you have to appease.

Screw Georgetown and Villanova.

Talk to USF and SMU about what they want out of this. If they can do football-only with UConn, only then is this a possibility,.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not if they leave their football in the BE.

I wouldn't hate this (unless it is a long term thing).

If UConn and Cincinnati cut a basketball scheduling deal with the Boise league, the Boise league may go for it. Boise doesn't want to ship its hoop team to Hartford or Storrs every year.

Reaction Score
If UConn and Cincinnati cut a basketball scheduling deal with the Boise league, the Boise league may go for it. Boise doesn't want to ship its hoop team to Hartford or Storrs every year.

But what about SMU, USF and the rest? They didn't hire Larry Brown for giggles.

Reaction Score
A basketball league with UConn-Cincy-Memphis-San Diego State isn't terrible. USF has improved. SMU has Larry Brown. Houston has some history. But it's not ideal, and we don't have rivalries with any of them.

Our football needs to be in the best league it can be in. Right now, like it or not, that is the NNBE.

Basketball and other sports, however, might be better elsewhere...

Reaction Score
There is potentially a huge game of chicken going on here over the Catholics wanting two seperate basketball conferences within the Big East umbrella. The best UConn can do out of this is the Catholics stay but join UConn in one division with everyone else, with additions to balance, in another division. The worst that can happen to UConn is that the Catholics leave and we are in both football and hoops leagues with the collection of crap that will be the Big East.

If the Catholics leave, I would much rather be playing hoops and olympics with them and football with the crap, especially under the theory that if we don't move somewhere in a few years we're DOA anyway. Would the Big East even allow us to do that? Who knows.

Life sucks and then you die.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A basketball league with UConn-Cincy-Memphis-San Diego State isn't terrible. USF has improved. SMU has Larry Brown. Houston has some history. But it's not ideal, and we don't have rivalries with any of them.

Our football needs to be in the best league it can be in. Right now, like it or not, that is the NNBE.

Basketball and other sports, however, might be better elsewhere...

San Diego State is in the Big West, not the Big East, for basketball, etc. The only thing they were guaranteed in joining up with the Big East is that they would get a certain amount of games against Big East opponents every year (three?), but now it's not clear that they would still get that if the league dissolves...

Reaction Score
If the Catholics leave, I would much rather be playing hoops and olympics with them and football with the crap, especially under the theory that if we don't move somewhere in a few years we're DOA anyway. Would the Big East even allow us to do that? Who knows.

Life sucks and then you die.
Name a non-BCS program not already in the BE who is better at football than UConn. They've won a couple of BE titles and been in a BCS bowl. No other non-BCS school does that. They wouldn't like it, but it's not the worst situation for them.

Reaction Score
San Diego State is in the Big West, not the Big East, for basketball, etc. The only thing they were guaranteed in joining up with the Big East is that they would get a certain amount of games against Big East opponents every year (three?), but now it's not clear that they would still get that if the league dissolves...
I know. I'm imagining that, if the Catholics duck out, all the football-onlies besides Navy go all-in on an all-sports league.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know. I'm imagining that, if the Catholics duck out, all the football-onlies besides Navy go all-in on an all-sports league.

Doesn't make sense to. If it didn't make sense to fly basketball and volleyball (etc.) around the country when the prospective contract was 14 million, it sure as hell doesn't make sense to when the prospective contract is 4 million....

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I still am having a hard time figuring out how the Catholics think they'll make more money by leaving the Big East name behind. I think they're playing chicken.

I would think it would make more sense for everyone involved if we end up with two divisions... a couple more basketball onlies from the A-10 and a way to make it easy for the basketball teams to split off in the future if UConn and Cinci end up in the ACC/B1G/B12.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Larry brown hasn't already lost interest in SMU basketball.

Reaction Score
I still am having a hard time figuring out how the Catholics think they'll make more money by leaving the Big East name behind. I think they're playing chicken.

I would think it would make more sense for everyone involved if we end up with two divisions... a couple more basketball onlies from the A-10 and a way to make it easy for the basketball teams to split off in the future if UConn and Cinci end up in the ACC/B1G/B12.
A loose scheduling alliance would be best in this situation. We were talking about that in other threads. Add some west coast bball onlies, get to about 18-20 schools, split into two divisions, and really only play your own division until the BET. That's better than whatever their going to do on their own.

UNLV-SDSU-Gonzaga-New Mexico-Houston-SMU-Memphis-Tulane-UCF-USF in one division, all the other pre-2011 schools plus Temple in the other.

Round robin in division, two cross-division games. 20 games total.

The end.

(I only added UNLV, Gonzaga, and Nevada as ways to make it easier for the west coast schools. I could do without them. But that wouldn't be a terrible division.)

Reaction Score

We actually would be better off with this than staying in the Big East as is. We still want to play the Catholic Schools and have little interest in the others and the travel.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks epark.

I am completely torn on whether uconn should follow these schools. My guess is they do to preserve basketball, but the affect on football could be devestating.

It would hurt basketball.

Unless you think A10 is a form of preservation.

Reaction Score

1. UConn
  2. Cincy
  3. Georgetown
  4. Villanova
  5. PC
  6. St. John's
  7. Seton Hall
  8. Marquette
  9. DePaul
  10. Butler?
  11. VCU?
  12. Creighton?
(Just picked three schools with good recent basketball history--avoided Xavier because Cincy was there).
  1. UConn
  2. Cincy
  3. Memphis
  4. Temple
  5. Houston
  6. SMU
  7. USF
  8. UCF
  9. Tulane
  10. SDSU? (would they join all sports?)
  11. East Carolina? (would they join all sports?)
  12. ???
  13. ???
  14. ???
  15. ???
  16. ???
  17. ???
Which conference is better? I'd say the top one. I can imagine it being worse if there are some poor teams invited, or if SDSU, BYU, and a couple of other teams in the west join full-time (UNLV, New Mexico--and I'm vomiting, FYI, with these suggestions...this situation is just plain awful). But there's no semblance of a conference there...

caw

Reaction Score
So, let's say the Catholics do this and take UConn and Cincy, isn't that just rescinding all the invites that are out there + dropping USF? Sucks to be USF in that case. And to think this is only like move 5 in this game of chess.

Reaction Score

NY Post is now reporting according to "a source" that the 7 schools will breakaway. No mention at all of UCONN or Cincy.

Reaction Score
It would hurt bball much less than the non existent new big east will hurt bball imo

Disagree.

You stay in the NBE to remain viable for the ACC. If you throw in the towel now, you are A10 for perpetuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom