Smallwood | The Boneyard

Smallwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Entering draft early according to D Conner.

Reaction Score
Not surprising, and don't blame him at all. He will be greatly missed. And an NFL team is going to get a great, 3 down linebacker.

Reaction Score
Good for him. If he runs well at the combine maybe he sneaks in into the bottom of the first round or early second. He is a specimen. Few teams we played this year had LB that compared to him physically.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Crap.

I suppose we were all preparing for it, and he had himself one heck of a "senior" day today as a parting gift. I hope he gets a nice draft spot and a big paycheck. He deserves it...

Reaction Score
Good for him. If he runs well at the combine maybe he sneaks in into the bottom of the first round or early second. He is a specimen. Few teams we played this year had LB that compared to him physically.

If teams view him as a MLB, I doubt he goes near the first. That is not to say I don't think he will have a great career, because I think he will. It's just that MLB's historically don't go high in the draft. I have always said I think he would be a beast as a 3-4 OLB.

Reaction Score
And in my rankings of UCONN Linebackers during the BCS era, Yawin is # 1. Just ahead of Alfred Fincher.

Reaction Score
Great player, good luck to him. Confident in our young LBs and I think Yawin will be an impact player in the NFL. One of the few aspects of the program under PP to be proud of. Get 'em Yawin.

Reaction Score
I think this will give us a chance to play Stewart where he belongs. In the middle, flanked by Vann and Ashiru. Yawin is the man.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Congrats to Yawin.

He gave the program and us fans three years of heart, hustle and talent. Wish him best of luck going forward.

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/smallwood-to-enter-nfl-draft/

In part:

>>Smallwood has been highly-sought after as an NFL prospect with many mock draft having him as a second or third round selection. He becomes the third UConn player to declare early for the draft.

RB Donald Brown was a first round pick of the Colts and RB Jordan Todman was a sixth round pick of the Chargers.

Smallwood told LBs coach Jon Wholley before the game and told his teammates in the locker room after. Smallwood has sought advice from his former teammate in Sio Moore. He plans on working out in Florida for the NFL Draft combine and will begin a search for an agent.<<

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Classy move here by Yawin. I wish him nothing but the best and a lengthy NFL career!

Smallwood released this open-letter on Saturday:

First, I would like to give my sincere thanks to University of Connecticut for providing me with a tremendous educational and athletic opportunity. Attaining a higher education has been my lifelong dream and I could not have made it this far without the love and encouragement from my family and friends. Thanks to the endless support of my coaches, faculty, and everyone in the athletic department, I have had the most amazing collegiate experience. I have learned lifelong lessons about responsibilities, accountability, teamwork, loyalty, friendship, and grace under pressure. With the support of my Mother and advisers, I have decided to forgo my final season in order to pursue my next dream: to become a great professional athlete. I plan to enter the 2014 NFL draft.

I am excited to take this next step in my journey to become a better person, to continue learning, maturing, and to develop into a responsible, upstanding citizen. I pray I can become not just an honorable representative of the sport of football, but also a role model and philanthropist, giving back to the community and doing my part in making this world a better place.

I would like to say a special thank you to my coaches. Thank you for your patience and your faith in me. Thank you for never allowing me to settle, compromise, or give anything less than 110%. Thank you for taking the time to teach me – I appreciate all you have done for me and the wisdom you have shared with me. I will never forget the invaluable lessons, both on and off the field.

To my teammates: I could not have made it through these years without you. You have all become my friends, my teachers, my comrades. Through the glories and the losses, the sweat and tears, I will carry these memories with me for the rest of my life.

To the fans of Husky football, and each and every supporter, thank you for the humbling privilege of playing for you. Thank you for your amazing support throughout the years.

It has been an honor to be apart of the husky family. I will forever call myself a husky and carry it with respect, admiration, and pride.

All my best,
Yawin Smallwood

Reaction Score
Noooooooooo. Can't blame him. Hell of a player. Congrats and good luck!

Reaction Score
I really liked Fincher but I think Sio, Wilson, Lutrus and Smallwood were all better LB's.

I think I'd rank them Sio, Wilson, Smallwood, Fincher, Lutrus, although Fincher was my favorite, and Lutrus would have been higher if he didn't have the injuries. We really have had a lot of good ones, and even with Smallwood in the NFL we'll be in decent shape next year.

Reaction Score
Classy move here by Yawin. I wish him nothing but the best and a lengthy NFL career!

Smallwood released this open-letter on Saturday:

First, I would like to give my sincere thanks to University of Connecticut for providing me with a tremendous educational and athletic opportunity. Attaining a higher education has been my lifelong dream and I could not have made it this far without the love and encouragement from my family and friends. Thanks to the endless support of my coaches, faculty, and everyone in the athletic department, I have had the most amazing collegiate experience. I have learned lifelong lessons about responsibilities, accountability, teamwork, loyalty, friendship, and grace under pressure. With the support of my Mother and advisers, I have decided to forgo my final season in order to pursue my next dream: to become a great professional athlete. I plan to enter the 2014 NFL draft.

I am excited to take this next step in my journey to become a better person, to continue learning, maturing, and to develop into a responsible, upstanding citizen. I pray I can become not just an honorable representative of the sport of football, but also a role model and philanthropist, giving back to the community and doing my part in making this world a better place.

I would like to say a special thank you to my coaches. Thank you for your patience and your faith in me. Thank you for never allowing me to settle, compromise, or give anything less than 110%. Thank you for taking the time to teach me – I appreciate all you have done for me and the wisdom you have shared with me. I will never forget the invaluable lessons, both on and off the field.

To my teammates: I could not have made it through these years without you. You have all become my friends, my teachers, my comrades. Through the glories and the losses, the sweat and tears, I will carry these memories with me for the rest of my life.

To the fans of Husky football, and each and every supporter, thank you for the humbling privilege of playing for you. Thank you for your amazing support throughout the years.

It has been an honor to be apart of the husky family. I will forever call myself a husky and carry it with respect, admiration, and pride.

All my best,
Yawin Smallwood

Wow, someone truly raised their kid the right way. Love this and wish him the best. I'm thinking MLB for the KC Chiefs (no reason)!

Reaction Score
For some reason my post was deleted?

1. Smallwood
2. Alfred Fincher
3. Lawrence Wilson
4. Danny Lansannah
5. Sio Moore
6. Scott Lutrus (would be # 1 if not for chronic shoulder injuries, IMO.)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if he finished his degree early? This is absolutely the right move for him. That letter was amazing nd he's got his head on straight. Just was hoping he'd have his degree as well in case football doesn't work out for whatever reason. Thanks for all your hard effort and contributions Yawin!

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if he finished his degree early? This is absolutely the right move for him. That letter was amazing nd he's got his head on straight. Just was hoping he'd have his degree as well in case football doesn't work out for whatever reason. Thanks for all your hard effort and contributions Yawin!

He is on track to receive his degree in May.

Reaction Score
I think the best LB to ever play at UCONN and I think he gets physically bigger heading into the NFL and keeps his quickness. Absolute class act.

We have big holes to fill at LB both in terms of Smallwood and depth. I see some real promise with Ashiru and Vann. After that, I don't see much of anything and it really concerns me that guys like Stegg and Steward couldn't beat Donoque out for time. I continue to wonder if Obi can't move to LB, especially given the depth we have in the secondary.

Reaction Score
I think the best LB to ever play at UCONN and I think he gets physically bigger heading into the NFL and keeps his quickness. Absolute class act.

We have big holes to fill at LB both in terms of Smallwood and depth. I see some real promise with Ashiru and Vann. After that, I don't see much of anything and it really concerns me that guys like Stegg and Steward couldn't beat Donoque out for time. I continue to wonder if Obi can't move to LB, especially given the depth we have in the secondary.

Obi would definitely upgrade team speed if he is moved to OLB.

I said a couple weeks ago that moving Ashiru to end and Obi to OLB might be a good move. Increases the speed on the front seven. Increase the versatility of the D as well (disguising coverage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom