Small ray of sunshine- MSU AD says Big Ten will expand, cites East Coast | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Small ray of sunshine- MSU AD says Big Ten will expand, cites East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe someone can answer these questions :
:
If NC gets broken up into 3 conferences would the split in conference audience be large enough to justify payment?

Would the lack of local rivalries drive the audience to watch their team and whatever new rivalries are created? Meaning if NcSt and UNC and Duke are in different conferences how long are they going to continue to watch the other team? Are you going to continue to wwtch.Cuse, Pit, Gtown?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think it is obvious that the B1G wants UNC. That is the prize. I think it is becoming more apparent that they won't get it. I think UVA is on the fence, and would move with UNC, but probably stays in the ACC otherwise. Those non-moves, in turn, leave Notre Dame with a soft landing (not that they ever land hard). So Delany's purpose is frustrated. He has to recalculate. Without UNC, does GT really make sense? No. Does FSU? No, and probably not even to FSU.

So his best move right now? No move. I don't think the B1G can move first this time, unless it is something unexpected, like prying Colorado from the Pac. I think we should be looking at the Big XII, which is hoping the B1G makes its job easier by softening ACC resistance. But the WVU experience is reminding the ACC schools how much better life is in the ACC than if they were in the Big XII. I don't think any of them are moving, although Louisville might. The logical move is for the Big XII to offer Louisville and Pitt, and once Dodds is gone, maybe they will. If they really want 14, they could add VT and Cinci to that list. Creates a very logical geographic footprint.

Its total speculation on my part, but if the ACC holds together, which I think it will because ND is going to stick with them and because UNC is not ready to give up its center of the universe position to be second fiddle to Ohio/Michigan, then maybe the B1G jumps on Uconn & Syracuse or Uconn&BC. If you cant get the south, then just lock up the northeast, its not the worst consolation prize. Plus, with the right marketing strategy, you maybe able to unlock some decent dollar flow from the northeast over time.

WV's plight will be interesting to watch in the coming years. While BC is not a perfect parallel, if WV declines, it will open some eyes about being on an island.

Reaction Score
Assuming they add 2 here is my try at 2 divisions balanced by geo:

EAST
Maryland
Rutgers
PSU
MSU
Ohio state
Michigan
+2

WEST
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Purdue

OSU and Michigan would never be in the same division. They would be in separate divisions and that would be the crossover rivalry game every year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Its total speculation on my part, but if the ACC holds together, which I think it will because ND is going to stick with them and because UNC is not ready to give up its center of the universe position to be second fiddle to Ohio/Michigan, then maybe the B1G jumps on Uconn & Syracuse or Uconn&BC. If you cant get the south, then just lock up the northeast, its not the worst consolation prize. Plus, with the right marketing strategy, you maybe able to unlock some decent dollar flow from the northeast over time.

WV's plight will be interesting to watch in the coming years. While BC is not a perfect parallel, if WV declines, it will open some eyes about being on an island.

I don't think BC makes sense for the B1G. Delany has never done what anyone expected, yet it always seemed to make sense after the fact. I don't think UConn is high on his list, but it is probably higher than some people think. I think he'll try to pry UNC lose until he is sure he cannot.

Reaction Score
UConn's hook is New York/New England, and no competition. If the Big 10 takes UNC and UVA, the SEC takes NC State and VTech, and the BTN has a battle in NC and VA with the SEC Network. Good luck getting full carriage in that scenario. The BTN would get smoked so badly in Georgia and Florida that it would be a laughingstock if it tried for Florida State and Georgia Tech.

UConn delivers a good chunk of New York/New England in a way that no other school can. If BCU was able to deliver New England and Syracuse was able to deliver New York, the ACC would be the hunter, not the hunted. It comes down to how the BTN perceives NC and VA. Unfortunately, I think we lose to UNC and UVa.

I have said the same thing to Frankthetank about how BTN would not get full carriage in Geogia or Florida by adding FSU or GT. He has continually said that it would not be a problem but has yet to provide any real data or facts to back up that assertion.

Reaction Score
I think it is obvious that the B1G wants UNC. That is the prize. I think it is becoming more apparent that they won't get it. I think UVA is on the fence, and would move with UNC, but probably stays in the ACC otherwise. Those non-moves, in turn, leave Notre Dame with a soft landing (not that they ever land hard). So Delany's purpose is frustrated. He has to recalculate. Without UNC, does GT really make sense? No. Does FSU? No, and probably not even to FSU.

So his best move right now? No move. I don't think the B1G can move first this time, unless it is something unexpected, like prying Colorado from the Pac. I think we should be looking at the Big XII, which is hoping the B1G makes its job easier by softening ACC resistance. But the WVU experience is reminding the ACC schools how much better life is in the ACC than if they were in the Big XII. I don't think any of them are moving, although Louisville might. The logical move is for the Big XII to offer Louisville and Pitt, and once Dodds is gone, maybe they will. If they really want 14, they could add VT and Cinci to that list. Creates a very logical geographic footprint.

The bold above I have said on this board before. A very good friend of mine has connections at UVA and he has been telling me for months, ever since MD left, that UVA is not leaving the ACC and that them and UNC are going to make sure it survives. He did say that if UNC leaves then UVA would reconsider.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Let's assume no one leaves the ACC. If that is the case does the ACC feel that Cuse and BC are enough to capture the NYC market? Or, do they start having discussions about bringing UConn in to counter the Rutgers move by the B1G? Consequently, if the B1G feels that aquiring ACC teams is a dead issue do they, in turn, look to UConn to lock up the NYC/NE markets?

I will say this: my big hope is that ND decides to go with the C7 and they ACC invites UConn and WVU. That would be a really fun FB and hoops conference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Let's assume no one leaves the ACC. If that is the case does the ACC feel that Cuse and BC are enough to capture the NYC market? Or, do they start having discussions about bringing UConn in to counter the Rutgers move by the B1G? Consequently, if the B1G feels that aquiring ACC teams is a dead issue do they, in turn, look to UConn to lock up the NYC/NE markets?

I will say this: my big hope is that ND decides to go with the C7 and they ACC invites UConn and WVU. That would be a really fun FB and hoops conference.

ACC has ND, which is big in NY. ND also makes ACC unbalanced no matter what. They could just add UConn now and be balanced except for football. ND will stick with ACC unless it gets heavily raided. B1G could look to UConn.

I still think the southern ACC teams will stand pat. I am not sure about the former BE schools though.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

The ACC adding WV and Uconn would make a ton of sense....but I doubt it would happen....no particular reason for the pessimism, just dont think the ACC is in acquisition mode. The pairing of WV and Uconn is a nice balancing act for both football RPI and BB RPI. I would feel bad for Cinci, they are like us - on a raft.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The ACC adding WV and Uconn would make a ton of sense....but I doubt it would happen....no particular reason for the pessimism, just dont think the ACC is in acquisition mode. The pairing of WV and Uconn is a nice balancing act for both football RPI and BB RPI. I would feel bad for Cinci, they are like us - on a raft.

Feel bad? If they were on a raft...and I had a speargun, they'd soon be treading water.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Cincinnati would leave in a heartbeat, and step on our forehead to get out. We're partners out of necessity, but there's no room for emotion in this anymore. It's every man, woman, child and invalid for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom