Small ray of sunshine- MSU AD says Big Ten will expand, cites East Coast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Small ray of sunshine- MSU AD says Big Ten will expand, cites East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Read between the lines. Notice he said the (Big) East coast and not the Atlantic coast.

We're in baby, we're in!
Doesn't the East Coast include the whole Atlantic Coast?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Doesn't the East Coast include the whole Atlantic Coast?

Not in popular parlance. The East Coast, as other have observed, typically means Boston - Washington. Much in the same way when people say "the South" they don't really mean New Mexico, Arizona, Cali (or really even Texas). Nor when people say the "Northwest" do they mean Idaho.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Right. Delany is not flying by wire. But what I suspect is that his plan has hit some speed bumps. I don't think he's going to get what he wanted. Doesn't mean UConn is high on the list, but might delay decisions as he recalculates.

He probably figured that once the Big East was finally killed off that Notre Dame would be forced to join a conference and they would pick the B1G. He probably didn't figure that any other conference was a stupid as the Big East to offer ND bowl games and money for their non-football affiliation. But I guess he under-estimated the desperation of the ACC and Swofford. Now it is time to give a couple of body blows to the ACC again.

Reaction Score
Not in popular parlance. The East Coast, as other have observed, typically means Boston - Washington. Much in the same way when people say "the South" they don't really mean New Mexico, Arizona, Cali (or really even Texas). Nor when people say the "Northwest" do they mean Idaho.
Excellent analysis. I wonder if they know the same thing in the midwest:0)

Reaction Score
There seems to be a sentiment by some on this board that CR is done or done for a long time. I just don't see it that way. What it will ultimately mean for UCONN is another matter and after the ACC/Louisville debacle I take nothing for granted. But, there is little doubt that more is coming and I don't think it's that far off (year?).

I thought CR was done on November 1. It ain't. There are a few more layers to this Onion.

Reaction Score
I think that it says the old Big Ten teams like the fertile exposure of the east, and that they all want to play in that sandbox.

If any western teams were added (missouri/Kansas), that sandbox got a lot more inaccessible. Kind of like Utah, Colorado nixing any decision to add Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. This is good for UConn because my map says that UConn is firmly in the east, is contiguous with, and has quantifiable penetration into, the largest media market in the country, and is a perfect gateway into southern New England. It is also great to see that the AD's see the value of the east coast and are actually giving it the premium many of us think that it deserves.

Now, the important question is it east east, like the northeast, or generic east, to include the southeast. But so far, these comments do not preclude UConn, and that alone gives us a reason to believe UConn is still on the radar.

I think that it says the old Big Ten teams like the fertile exposure of the east, and that they all want to play in that sandbox.

If any western teams were added (missouri/Kansas), that sandbox got a lot more inaccessible. Kind of like Utah, Colorado nixing any decision to add Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. This is good for UConn because my map says that UConn is firmly in the east, is contiguous with, and has quantifiable penetration into, the largest media market in the country, and is a perfect gateway into southern New England. It is also great to see that the AD's see the value of the east coast and are actually giving it the premium many of us think that it deserves.

Now, the important question is it east east, like the northeast, or generic east, to include the southeast. But so far, these comments do not preclude UConn, and that alone gives us a reason to believe UConn is still on the radar.
Imagine the boost in popularity college football would get in the northeast if Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska made the trek every year to NJ or CT...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
isn't it saying the divisions will be divided geographically? as opposed to that the potential additions will be added geographically?
Right. He's debating which division MSU should be in. Not talking about expansion candidates. At least that's my interpretation.

The ray of sunshine is that there will be more expansion and likely teams will be added with Rutgers and Maryland.

Reaction Score
In a prior story, Hollis said that expansion isn't being talked about in the Big 10.

In this story which mentions "and perhaps two more schools by then", and "more expansion is expected", it's not clear where that comes from. Might just be the writer's speculation.

Reaction Score
By no definition is Texas part of the East Coast.

Right. That was my point. Texas has a coastline which faces eastward and is part of a line that marks the boundary between land and water stretching all the way up to Maine. That doesn't make it "East Coast." As has been stated several times in this thread, neither are Georgia or Florida. "East Coast" is Boston to Washington, centered on New York City. In the parlance of our times.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Right. That was my point. Texas has a coastline which faces eastward and is part of a line that marks the boundary between land and water stretching all the way up to Maine. That doesn't make it "East Coast." As has been stated several times in this thread, neither are Georgia or Florida. "East Coast" is Boston to Washington, centered on New York City. In the parlance of our times.

I am liking all use of "parlance" today.

Reaction Score
isn't it saying the divisions will be divided geographically? as opposed to that the potential additions will be added geographically?

This is the correct interpretation. Hollis is talking about the value of the East Coast in terms of MSU specifically being in a division. It has nothing to with expansion at all.

Reaction Score
I'm still struggling to see how low post interlopers and nonuconn realignment gurus miss the entire tenor of a uconn centric thread.

Where did anyone in this thread say that hollis said east coast additions? It is clear that reference was made to east coast divisions, and how that exposure was desireable to schools. The supposition was then drawn that midwest schools all would want in on the east coast pie, so to introduce say, eg Kansas or Missouri, would frustrate that goal.

Since that is a rational theory, and since the article referenced likely additions, by process of elimination that would be good for UConn, since well, UConn is on the east coast. Further, since east coast exposure is desireable, what defines east coast? There was discussion on that. In sum, you guys can repeat yourselves in a funhouse echo chamber, but read and comprehend what is written first. That goes a long way in making your words a bit more sufferable.

Reaction Score
I'm still struggling to see how low post interlopers and nonuconn realignment gurus miss the entire tenor of a uconn centric thread.

Where did anyone in this thread say that hollis said east coast additions? It is clear that reference was made to east coast divisions, and how that exposure was desireable to schools. The supposition was then drawn that midwest schools all would want in on the east coast pie, so to introduce say, eg Kansas or Missouri, would frustrate that goal.

Since that is a rational theory, and since the article referenced likely additions, by process of elimination that would be good for UConn, since well, UConn is on the east coast. Further, since east coast exposure is desireable, what defines east coast? There was discussion on that. In sum, you guys can repeat yourselves in a funhouse echo chamber, but read and comprehend what is written first. That goes a long way in making your words a bit more sufferable.

Interlopers, centric, tenor, supposition, rational theory, eg, and sufferable.

Were you working on your thesis and then switched over to the BY without shifting mind gears?

Next time could you dumb it down please? Thanks.

Reaction Score
In a prior story, Hollis said that expansion isn't being talked about in the Big 10.

In this story which mentions "and perhaps two more schools by then", and "more expansion is expected", it's not clear where that comes from. Might just be the writer's speculation.
its hollis... his very last quote in the article "for the BY crew, I'm gonna flip flop 10 more times, just to drive you people crazy... HA HA!!"

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
If you want a meaningful presense in NYC - which frankly is a big if - but if you do, then you need another team in this market...Rutgers alone is hardly going to grant you entry to MSG or Brooklyn. Delany should just pull the trigger on Uconn / Uva and be done with it.
We need to give the B1G a good showing this football season and sell out every game. If we can have a good turn out in the lackluster America-12 think what we would do in the BIG TEN!!!!

Reaction Score
We need to give the B1G a good showing this football season and sell out every game. If we can have a good turn out in the lackluster America-12 think what we would do in the BIG TEN!!!!
I think the home schedule will help with that big time. There is absolutely no excuse for the Michigan game not to be a sell out. I havnt been to a football game in 5 years so i shouldnt really talk...but that WILL CHANGE this season.

Reaction Score
Laughing MAO is very dangerous right after back surgery. Darn that hurt!!!
Well at least someone appreciates my humor. I bought a slim jim stick at a gas station then me and my fiance get to the car i just stand there for a few seconds and she asks what's going on. I reply by taking the slim jim and mashing it against the car door then shout, "these things never work like in the movies". Of course she didn't get it. I don't even like slim jims i just bought it for the joke.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line: how valuable is the NYC market to the B1G? Because if the B1G takes UConn, it locks up the NYC/NE market forever. If it doesn't take UConn and UConn winds up in the ACC then there will always be some degree of sharing the NYC/NE market.

I think the WVU situation is sinking in and it's causing a ripple through the CR world. Jumping for the $ isn't worth it if you are going to be an extreme geographic outlier. This will force CR into more reasonable geographic solutions.

Reaction Score
Assuming they add 2 here is my try at 2 divisions balanced by geo:

EAST
Maryland
Rutgers
PSU
MSU
Ohio state
Michigan
+2

WEST
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Purdue

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here's the bottom line: how valuable is the NYC market to the B1G? Because if the B1G takes UConn, it locks up the NYC/NE market forever. If it doesn't take UConn and UConn winds up in the ACC then there will always be some degree of sharing the NYC/NE market.

I think the WVU situation is sinking in and it's causing a ripple through the CR world. Jumping for the $ isn't worth it if you are going to be an extreme geographic outlier. This will force CR into more reasonable geographic solutions.

UConn's hook is New York/New England, and no competition. If the Big 10 takes UNC and UVA, the SEC takes NC State and VTech, and the BTN has a battle in NC and VA with the SEC Network. Good luck getting full carriage in that scenario. The BTN would get smoked so badly in Georgia and Florida that it would be a laughingstock if it tried for Florida State and Georgia Tech.

UConn delivers a good chunk of New York/New England in a way that no other school can. If BCU was able to deliver New England and Syracuse was able to deliver New York, the ACC would be the hunter, not the hunted. It comes down to how the BTN perceives NC and VA. Unfortunately, I think we lose to UNC and UVa.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think we lose to UNC and UVa.
Of course, the demographics of the states and university profiles support that. I think if UNC/Va keep true to their pact and keep the ACC together, there's a delay of 5 years, and that helps UConn's slim chances of being the "East Coast" addition all the B1Glievers in this thread want it to be. Beyond ~5 years though, UConn's athletic finances become more of a worry.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it is obvious that the B1G wants UNC. That is the prize. I think it is becoming more apparent that they won't get it. I think UVA is on the fence, and would move with UNC, but probably stays in the ACC otherwise. Those non-moves, in turn, leave Notre Dame with a soft landing (not that they ever land hard). So Delany's purpose is frustrated. He has to recalculate. Without UNC, does GT really make sense? No. Does FSU? No, and probably not even to FSU.

So his best move right now? No move. I don't think the B1G can move first this time, unless it is something unexpected, like prying Colorado from the Pac. I think we should be looking at the Big XII, which is hoping the B1G makes its job easier by softening ACC resistance. But the WVU experience is reminding the ACC schools how much better life is in the ACC than if they were in the Big XII. I don't think any of them are moving, although Louisville might. The logical move is for the Big XII to offer Louisville and Pitt, and once Dodds is gone, maybe they will. If they really want 14, they could add VT and Cinci to that list. Creates a very logical geographic footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom