Slocum is the new Shoni Schimmel? | The Boneyard

Slocum is the new Shoni Schimmel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
fancy dribbling etc. its cute but you're not going to win the big ones with ONLY that

Not sure what you saw. Slocum is very good as a shooter and play maker and she has the clutch gene. A few turnovers because she did not get much support from SKH and needed to force a little to much. She is the real deal and a still a freshman. Like Schimmel, she seems out of shape and I hope she works on getting in top condition.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She sure looked like her tonight. She had her stroke going, her adrenaline was rushing, she had the green light and nothing to lose. Let 'er rip. She knew UConn was in foul trouble, and no one was going to try and block her shot. Anybody can have a good night. Let's see if she can do this every game, or if this was an aberration. The great ones do it nightly. Time will tell all. Remember, for THIS game, I'm from Missouri, she's got to show me!.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she's not like Schimmel... and takes the time to work on herself and her game, Shoni is pretty much obscure now in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
This thread makes little sense. Of course you can't win with just 'fancy dribbling' but people could have criticized Moriah early in her Uconn career for being 'just fast'. Slocum's a freshman, she's talented and really promising. Just because she's not a UConn player doesn't mean we have to downplay her talent and potential. She's doing great for this stage in her career as a freshman and if she continues to grow she'll be a a great player for them.

Reaction Score
We've seen some good shooters also get lucky with some inartful heaves that happen to go in. Can't say that about Slocum tonight. All her shots were good form, and a couple were from two steps behind the arc! Got to give her credit for keeping Maryland's hopes alive in the 4th quarter.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
From the samepart of the country!!!!
I knew it was something...

I'm not saying she's a slouch but I heard ohhh's & ahhhh's from the crowd but nothing was done with that possession. Shoni shot lights out as well... just hope this isn't as far as Slocum grows

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
:oops:

Guess the OP should have waited til after 9pm before starting this thread :p

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tonight she was. She hasn't been shattering any scoring records prior to this but she is obviously talented.
oh, this was her best game in her college career?

Reaction Score
I thought "Shoni" BUT BETTER - for this one game. I've always thought Shoni as a scorer and that's it. I thought Slocum ot also be a fantastic facilitator. And ofc she is a frosh.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's my impression, that as we see so little of it in Uconn games...especially the back and forth dribble that all the kids practice for hours; that Geno has banned it )

I thought she dribbled a bit too much; but then her shotmaking kept them close.
if Geno was her coach, she would surely dribble less and be even more effective.

A great kid.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I admit, Slocum reminded me of Schimmel. Remember the 2014 E8 game vs MD. Schimmel hit a ton of amazing 3s at the end, but came up one short. We'll see how good Destiny can be on the defensive end. Fun team to watch. Hope she continues her growth.

Reaction Score
It's my impression, that as we see so little of it in Uconn games...especially the back and forth dribble that all the kids practice for hours; that Geno has banned it )

I thought she dribbled a bit too much; but then her shotmaking kept them close.
if Geno was her coach, she would surely dribble less and be even more effective.

A great kid.

Crystal Dangerfield dribbles too much as well.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Shoni in the Big East tournament a few years ago and just loving her game, so I take the comparison as high praise. Slocum was awesome tonight. She had a few wow moments.

I am happy to be able to appreciate her play from the position of our gutsy win though!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield dribbles too much as well.
then she suddenly stops and just stands there with the ball in her hand, she didnt do it tonight, guess they talked about it

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Destiny was good too. Geno gave her a pat on the cheek after the game. She looks and plays a little like Shoni, but I think she may be better. I'd call Destiny a cross between Shoni and Kristi Tolliver.

I thought Kaila Charles was very good too. She terrorized the DC area for her HS career and shut down De'Janae Boykin at least once. Kaila reminds me of a pre-injury Kalana Greene.

Maryland has 2 very good freshmen.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When I saw Slocum in one of the HG all star games I thought at that time that she was going to be one of the top freshmen in the country. She has done nothing to change my mind and I though she was a real gamer last night. Not many freshmen come out against UCONN and show that kind of confidence. She's a good one!

Reaction Score
When I saw Slocum in one of the HG all star games I thought at that time that she was going to be one of the top freshmen in the country. She has done nothing to change my mind and I though she was a real gamer last night. Not many freshmen come out against UCONN and show that kind of confidence. She's a good one!

She was Sims-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog