Slocum is the new Shoni Schimmel? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Slocum is the new Shoni Schimmel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed Geno patting her cheek too. So I think he likes her game.

I was very impressed by her clutch shooting last night.
yeah that was a very personal pat... some people don't like to be touched like that nor "shake hands" but yes he showed her some love. Did UConn recruit her and back off?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Hopefully she's not like Schimmel... and takes the time to work on herself and her game, Shoni is pretty much obscure now in the WNBA.

She was the MVP of the WNBA All-Star game, just two seasons ago, she had a falling out with Coach Michael Cooper in Atlanta when she showed up to training camp out of shape and was traded to the Liberty where she was injured. She hasn't set the league on fire, but I don't know if obscure is the right word.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She was Sims-like.

That was exactly my thought. Sims came out with the same confidence in the game that she was forced into the starting PG position in what I think was her second college game.

Reaction Score
I knew it was something...

I'm not saying she's a slouch but I heard ohhh's & ahhhh's from the crowd but nothing was done with that possession. Shoni shot lights out as well... just hope this isn't as far as Slocum grows
The only other time I saw Destiny play was with USA Basketball in a championship game. She, Gabbi Ortiz and Crystal were the primary point guards with Ali Patberg in a secondary role. At crunch time, Dawn Staley went with Crystal and it was obvious why: she controlled the game with more skill than the other three. I feel about Destiny as I feel about Kelsey Mitchell. They are both wonderful talents that could use some coaching.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She was the MVP of the WNBA All-Star game, just two seasons ago, she had a falling out with Coach Michael Cooper in Atlanta when she showed up to training camp out of shape and was traded to the Liberty where she was injured. She hasn't set the league on fire, but I don't know if obscure is the right word.

Obscure was being relegated to mop up duty on the NYL prior to injury. Even when she was in relatively good shape, every dazzle play on offense was diminished by ill advised passes / shots and poor defense. Her value now is to shock a team for a brief period and/or wow fans. Could not understand why Laimbeer who preaches defense above all else brought her to NYC

I am not sure but I think Destiny will be some where between Sims and Schimmel (just noticed lots of 'sssss' :)) even if she optimized her physical conditioning

Reaction Score
She was Sims-like.
Not really...

UCONN shut Sims down and dogged her the entire game. Sims was exhausted and was pouring sweat.

Slocum was ready for more at the end of that game.

Reaction Score
Obscure was being relegated to mop up duty on the NYL prior to injury. Even when she was in relatively good shape, every dazzle play on offense was diminished by ill advised passes / shots and poor defense. Her value now is to shock a team for a brief period and/or wow fans. Could not understand why Laimbeer who preaches defense above all else brought her to NYC

I am not sure but I think Destiny will be some where between Sims and Schimmel (just noticed lots of 'sssss' :)) even if she optimized her physical conditioning

I think Bill brought her there in case he needs someone truly fearless at the end of a clutch game that they're behind in. Atlanta already had that in Angel.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, after watching the game again, I was thinking about a less kind comparison or two for Slocum - Simmons and or Prahalis. I thought about half the shots she took in the game were ill advised ones, even if she made half of them. I know she is a freshman and has lots of time to mature, but she is supposedly the PG on a team with usually four other scoring options on the floor at the same time and she is coming down and launching threes with no passes and 23 seconds on the clock. I'll be interested to see how she does through the Big10 season, because while the big 10 isn't a very challenging conference it is significantly better than the cream puff schedule they have played and the defense in games should be a bit better.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
For those ready to put Slocum in the HOF after our game against MD she was back to scoring 9 points today. That's about what she had been scoring before her explosion against us. She had a nice days work and nice line against Minn but Jones and Walker-Kimbrough were back to doing the bulk of the scoring. But that's OK, I imagine the Baylor people thought the same of Dangerfield when she torched them unexpectedly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those ready to put Slocum in the HOF after our game against MD she was back to scoring 9 points today. That's about what she had been scoring before her explosion against us. She had a nice days work and nice line against Minn but Jones and Walker-Kimbrough were back to doing the bulk of the scoring. But that's OK, I imagine the Baylor people thought the same of Dangerfield when she torched them unexpectedly.
Yeah, Brionna had 27 points and 13 boards, while SWK had 22 points and 12 assists. Slocum had 9 points and 5 assists. BTW, Kiah Gillespie played 1 minute and scored 2 points.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Maryland, Baylor and ND aren't really taking these regular season games as seriously as you guys are- just using them as measurements for what they have to improve on for the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Maryland, Baylor and ND aren't really taking these regular season games as seriously as you guys are- just using them as measurements for what they have to improve on for the NCAA's.

You don't think UConn is using these games for the same purpose?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think this is one of the issues that separate Uconn from the field. Uconn takes every game seriously and when the games become blow-outs they don't just go with the flow or throw the bench in to have fun for the second half, they set specific goals and work on specific issue for future use or to correct previously identified weaknesses. Baylor in their 100 point laugher was still jacking shots within ten seconds rather than slowing down and working towards getting specific shots from specific players in the half court offense. MD was running and gunning through their cup cakes putting up huge scores, but it didn't help them run disciplined half court offense when they faced Uconn.
Uconn uses easy games as an extension of their practice, very few other coaches do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom