Slightly OT: ESPN's weird man crush | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: ESPN's weird man crush

Reaction Score
It would be awesome if people on this board could figure out ESPN is a business that is trying to make money. They don't like any player or team. They don't hate any player or team. The like more money and hate less money.
If that's their goal they don't seem very good at it, given the massive round of lay offs they just had.

Poe

Reaction Score
If they were posting multiple stories about Ismael Plet from Arkansas-Pine Bluff that might be weird and creepy …

Reaction Score
People watch Bronny-related content. Doesn't matter how good he is--he generates clicks.

There's no conspiracy here.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Well:

1) His dad is kind of famous
2) He's been getting national hype since he was about 13.
3) He's recovering from a heart issue
4) His college is in a big media market

Do we need any more reasons?
Yes

Reaction Score
It's still ridiculous. They hype a video of Bronny making a shot during a game where his team got crushed.

Agree when they showed him making a shot during the week in their game it was his first made in 4 games lol. I get the reason but there’s 100 kids as good playing college basketball.

Reaction Score
Kind of like the fascination with Charlie Woods
That kid can play. His swing and mannerisms are so creepily similar to his father, it’s fun to watch.

I wouldn’t be betting against him, that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
It would be awesome if people on this board could figure out ESPN is a business that is trying to make money. They don't like any player or team. They don't hate any player or team. The like more money and hate less money.
They don’t like UConn. If they did we would have been in the ACC a long time ago

Reaction Score
Who do you want to hear more about, sans UConn?

UNC? UK? Zach Edey?

I feel like everyone in the basketball world wants to see how Bronny will measure up to his dad, even though it wont ever happen fully. I think it’s a truly great story for all of basketball, let alone just the CBB world.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Well:

1) His dad is kind of famous
2) He's been getting national hype since he was about 13.
3) He's recovering from a heart issue
4) His college is in a big media market

Do we need any more reasons?

Somebody watches USC basketball?

Damn, you learn something every day here at the yard.

Reaction Score
The Paige example had me confused at first as well but I think what is being said is Paige will have the superstar baby 20 years or so from now when she's 40-ish and then 20 years after that said baby will set the world on fire. Hence the 40 year timeline.
Thank you for getting that, I agree that I revisited what I wrote and it confused me too lol

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The attention being paid to Bronny does feel kinda off-the-wall random. I get that his father is a legend, but he's certainly not the first legend's son to take the stage.

Why this famous athlete's kid?

Is this purely the phenomenon of the social media age?

To me it would be similar to following Robin Williams' son and waiting for him to bust out with some hilarious impressions...

Or maybe it's a generational thing?

Reaction Score
The attention being paid to Bronny does feel kinda off-the-wall random. I get that his father is a legend, but he's certainly not the first legend's son to take the stage.

Why this famous athlete's kid?

Is this purely the phenomenon of the social media age?

To me it would be similar to following Robin Williams' son and waiting for him to bust out with some hilarious impressions...

Or maybe it's a generational thing?
Social Media is definitely a byproduct, but this is not a typical situation with a superstar athlete.

Lebron is the bedrock media darling of the basketball world for the last 25 years. Media companies have made BILLIONS of dollars collectively pushing his name, image and likeness (funny isn't it). They are going to continue to milk the Lebron James cow until it has withered, died, dried and decomposed. Social Media added massive fuel to the fire because this is how the majority of people stay connected to the sports world now.

But, let's talk about the potential of Bronny James, and Bryce for that matter as well. They both are 5 star(potential) HS players, they play on one of the best teams in the nation, and have their father being one of the most dedicated to his craft all time, committed to fundamentals, and takes his health and body care seriously. They have a great culmination of opportunity.

Kiyan Anthony is also getting MEGA ATTENTION. Why?.....Same reasons.

We can talk about about MJ's sons, but they just weren't even close to the level of talent that Bronny has.
We can talk about other sons of players who are outstanding (eg. Boozer Twins), but how does Boozer compare to Lebron?
We can talk about Robin Williams son being hilarious, if he dedicated himself to the craft of comedy for 15 years like Bronny has.

Seems like the attention of Bronny is only weird to people who aren't fans of LBJ....

I'd prefer full coverage of all Lottery Potential CBB players, compared to most of the other BS ESPN and the cronies peddle nowadays, such as Get Up and the 10th try of First Take.

Reaction Score
The media wants so badly for Bronny to take the NBA court with his father. They would hype it til Kingdom Come and Lebron would pull out the fake acting emotional performance of his career. Fact is, Bronny only qualifies to get on that court because of his last name and everyone knows that.....so ESPN and other outlets have to try and sell you their story.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Social Media is definitely a byproduct, but this is not a typical situation with a superstar athlete.

Lebron is the bedrock media darling of the basketball world for the last 25 years. Media companies have made BILLIONS of dollars collectively pushing his name, image and likeness (funny isn't it). They are going to continue to milk the Lebron James cow until it has withered, died, dried and decomposed. Social Media added massive fuel to the fire because this is how the majority of people stay connected to the sports world now.

But, let's talk about the potential of Bronny James, and Bryce for that matter as well. They both are 5 star(potential) HS players, they play on one of the best teams in the nation, and have their father being one of the most dedicated to his craft all time, committed to fundamentals, and takes his health and body care seriously. They have a great culmination of opportunity.

Kiyan Anthony is also getting MEGA ATTENTION. Why?.....Same reasons.

We can talk about about MJ's sons, but they just weren't even close to the level of talent that Bronny has.
We can talk about other sons of players who are outstanding (eg. Boozer Twins), but how does Boozer compare to Lebron?
We can talk about Robin Williams son being hilarious, if he dedicated himself to the craft of comedy for 15 years like Bronny has.

Seems like the attention of Bronny is only weird to people who aren't fans of LBJ....

I'd prefer full coverage of all Lottery Potential CBB players, compared to most of the other BS ESPN and the cronies peddle nowadays, such as Get Up and the 10th try of First Take.
It's all so contrived. Sorry, not trying to be offensive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom