Skiing/Snowboarding Winter 20-21??? | The Boneyard

Skiing/Snowboarding Winter 20-21???

Will ski mountains be open at any time this winter/spring?

• Yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Any skiers/snowboarders with predictions?

Personally, I'm focusing more on the local joints rather than the bigger locations. I haven't driven more than three hours to snowboard in over fifteen years. However, I don't see any difference between the two in terms of Covid.

Reaction Score
already renewed my ikon pass so fingers crossed. just dont let anyone inside the lodge or in the gondolas. everyone is already wearing face masks and distancing on the slopes.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Like golf, the mountains can be socially distanced. They may have to close the base lodges, or take out some tables and chairs, but they can set up a resort to handle this. I'm thinking less people on the lifts - maybe only family members can be on the same chair, or people get on every other chair. Probably fewer lessons, and bars won't be open inside, but they will likely set up additional food areas/fire pits/lounges outside.

I can't wait to go riding.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any skiers/snowboarders with predictions?

Personally, I'm focusing more on the local joints rather than the bigger locations. I haven't driven more than three hours to snowboard in over fifteen years. However, I don't see any difference between the two in terms of Covid.

I predict that they will all remain closed until December at the earliest.

Reaction Score
All the Germans skiing in Northern Italy was one of the first major spreading events in Europe. Although I suspect the spread had more to do with the apres events. Like bendm said above, you're already wearing a mask, goggles and gloves. Maybe spread out in the lift lines, don't go in the singles line and don't lick the chair lift bar.

Reaction Score
Like golf, the mountains can be socially distanced. They may have to close the base lodges, or take out some tables and chairs, but they can set up a resort to handle this. I'm thinking less people on the lifts - maybe only family members can be on the same chair, or people get on every other chair. Probably fewer lessons, and bars won't be open inside, but they will likely set up additional food areas/fire pits/lounges outside.

I can't wait to go riding.
I see this as well. It is much like golf, which I hope to go play today. The only question I have with regards to the lifts, is how sanitation will come into play. Otherwise, if I was in the northeast, bring on the blizzy for some pow!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was an Ikon Pass holder last year, didn’t re-up it. As long as the bigger mountains are closed I won’t buy.

I think the mountains will open, but travel will be a pain. No more weekend trips or trips out west because of the mandatory quarantine rules.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Mt. Snow is 90 miles away. And if not, there’s always Ski Sundown!

Reaction Score
Mt. Snow is 90 miles away. And if not, there’s always Ski Sundown!
I'm 45 minutes from Thunder Ridge, so that's my cheap, quick fix.

I love driving on the Taconic, so I'm a fan of the Hudson Valley spots and Plattekill is my favorite.

I mostly started this thread because we booked decided we won't be flying to Arizona for the holidays so instead we booked two nights at the Getaway in Catskill, NY. It's just a half-hour from Hunter, Windham and Plattekill so hopefully one of those will be open.

Reaction Score
I live in Tahoe, say it is a 50/50 chance. Summer has been crazy busy here though.

Reaction Score
Loon stopped selling season tickets around mid July in case they need to limit the number of people on the mountain/at the resort. It’s a possibility this ski season will only be season pass holders with no day tickets.

Reaction Score
I was an Ikon Pass holder last year, didn’t re-up it. As long as the bigger mountains are closed I won’t buy.

I think the mountains will open, but travel will be a pain. No more weekend trips or trips out west because of the mandatory quarantine rules.
The only skiing state out west w/mandatory quarantine rules that I know of is New Mexico.

Reaction Score
Back in August, I booked two nights in a cabin for the week before Christmas and it just occurred to me that's only a few weeks away.

The cabin is 20 minutes from Windham and since they offer the most simplified ticket lift ticket options amongst the locals, I just purchased two lift tickets for the Monday before Christmas. Fingers crossed!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Back in August, I booked two nights in a cabin for the week before Christmas and it just occurred to me that's only a few weeks away.

The cabin is 20 minutes from Windham and since they offer the most simplified ticket lift ticket options amongst the locals, I just purchased two lift tickets for the Monday before Christmas. Fingers crossed!
Just make sure you stay on top of the testing/quarantine requirements. That's the catch.

Reaction Score
Yesterday, I did my first snowboarding of the season at Windham.

Overall, not a huge difference from other days.

Pros:
* checked in like a kiosk at the airport. From car to lift in 5 minutes.
* If solo or a pair you always have your own chair. There were times I was first or 2nd in line just because I was solo.
* food trucks. Better food at better prices...lodge food sucks!!

Cons:
* lines really aren’t socially distant, but it’s outdoors.

Overall, very happy to be outside and do something pretty similar to what it’s normally like prior to covid.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom