Six pages of UConn talk on an Iowa State board | The Boneyard

Six pages of UConn talk on an Iowa State board

Reaction Score
I lived in the midwest for half a dozen years and they talk like I remember. They are much, much more polite than us. Reasonable, humble, mostly they sound like good neighbors.

Most give us our props. They think their defense will trouble us. They tend to believe that UConn > UNC. They cautiously think they will win but allow for the fact they may lose. Many believe the refs favored us versus Alabama and that is a concern. The link below leads directly to the UConn thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived in the midwest for half a dozen years and they talk like I remember. They are much, much more polite than us. Reasonable, humble, mostly they sound like good neighbors.

Most give us our props. They think their defense will trouble us. They tend to believe that UConn > UNC. They cautiously think they will win but allow for the fact they may lose. Many believe the refs favored us versus Alabama and that is a concern. The link below leads directly to the UConn thread.

They are very polite people. As soon as you turn your back though... the knives come out

Reaction Score

I wouldn't say the officials favored UConn against Alabama. I'd just say they were awful and leave it at that. I don't know why they have a flop rule if they're not going to call it. The first charge against Sanogo, he never even touched the defender. The very definition of a flop.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say the officials favored UConn against Alabama. I'd just say they were awful and leave it at that. I don't know why they have a flop rule if they're not going to call it. The first charge against Sanogo, he never even touched the defender. The very definition of a flop.
Agree. We had to sit our best player for a long stretch in the second half because of a phantom call and a ticky-tack one. If the refs were trying to favor UConn as opposed to just sucking in general, they did a good job hiding it.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
So funny.... bringing up a false story.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 10.45.01 AM.png

ESPN Article
"The police determined there was no physical altercation tied to the event and no charges were filed,” UConn athletic department spokesman Mike Enright told the paper. "Instead, it was determined that the injuries were caused when the student in the mascot costume tripped down the stairs. These facts were confirmed by the student mascot in an interview with police."

But the paper also tracked down the student on social media.

Iowa State student Zane Brugenhemke, who identified himself on his Facebook page as the mascot who was injured, said he was pushed by some UConn fans.
"Fan pushed me out of the stands … eight foot drop onto concrete,” Brugenhemke wrote on Facebook, adding that he fractured his left ulna and radius. He said he’s scheduled to have surgery Sunday.
Brugenhemke, who is an Iowa State student majoring in athletic training, also posted a photo of himself with his arm in a cast and held by a sling. He also noted that UConn fans “quickly rose to #2 on my most hated fan bases … breaking my arm isn’t a good first impression guys."

Reaction Score
Who's to say which version is true? I have a hard time thinking Brugenhemke would lie to police (because why?), but there are definitely a few bad apples who show up for UConn football games, much like any fan base of tens of thousands of people. I reported one 40-going-on-14 type to stadium security last time out for repeatedly shouting slurs (we're talking at least 15 times, maybe 25) ostensibly at the Liberty players, but really at anyone in earshot who falls into the category of person he was targeting. And I can't stand Liberty. It was all very ironic.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I must admit to a certain pride of membership in a group of "oddly arrogant" people. It just sounds so much better that being normally arrogant. Truth be told, it's all further evidence that the same conversations take place on just about everybody's message board.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What you talkin about Willis. Nate Hurley got a warning and Dan Oats got a technical. That there is a huge disparity. The gumption of those refs.

Funny thing is that technical on Oats was the one thing I felt the refs did right. After calling those two fouls on Sonogo when it was questionable the Alabama players flopped Nate went OTT on the non call of Hawkins. He should have been happy his player didn't pick up a foul.

Also surprised at the amazing speed Jordan got up when he realized that UConn stole the ball. Cat like and very unlike Randy in The Christmas Story who lay there like a slug cause it was his only defense.

Reaction Score
knock on wood, but i think they are overvaluing their team quite a bit. UNC lost that game because bacot threw the ball away like 4 straight trips and grill hit a bunch of heat-check shots. felt a little fluke-y to me.

Reaction Score
I think it is more the case that Karaban called one of their players his role model or idol or something. And that increased their belief he wanted to attend ISU. Then he choose UConn.

Reaction Score
Who's to say which version is true? I have a hard time thinking Brugenhemke would lie to police (because why?), but there are definitely a few bad apples who show up for UConn football games, much like any fan base of tens of thousands of people. I reported one 40-going-on-14 type to stadium security last time out for repeatedly shouting slurs (we're talking at least 15 times, maybe 25) ostensibly at the Liberty players, but really at anyone in earshot who falls into the category of person he was targeting. And I can't stand Liberty. It was all very ironic.
I am not a fan of the violence I’ve seen at our stadium over the years. Don’t care whether it’s better or worse elsewhere, there is no place for it. That having been said, one has to assume what he told the police is true since one can be criminally charged for lying to the police, which means that what he published on social media was totally BS. If I were the school, I would have sued him for defamation and forced a retraction. (Or talked to the state’s attorney if his defense was he was lying to the police.)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who's to say which version is true?
Um, the mascot when he admitted he just tripped and fell down the stairs to police? I think that is a little more credible than his Facebook post, don’t you? He probably thought “UConn fans threw me off the bleachers” made a better Facebook post than “I am an uncoordinated spaz.“

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If I were the school, I would have sued him for defamation and forced a retraction. (Or talked to the state’s attorney if his defense was he was lying to the police.)
Lol, I love the enthusiasm here. Usually you are fairly pragmatic but this time I think your national flag blue glasses colored your vision just a bit. I’m not sure that this is a windmill I would bother tilting at if I were the school.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of the violence I’ve seen at our stadium over the years. Don’t care whether it’s better or worse elsewhere, there is no place for it. That having said that, one has to assume what he told the police is true since one can be criminally charged for lying to the police, which means that what he published on social media was totally BS. If I were the school, I would have sued him for defamation and forced a retraction. (Or talked to the state’s attorney if his defense was he was lying to the police.)
I'm also thinking councilor, that if he was in fact pushed and sustained those injuries; he would have sued for $100M. But hey, maybe he's just a good sport.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom