Site down for a while | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Site down for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I still cannot access the site on my iPad, iPhone, or Macbook Pro using Safari and through CenturyLink. It seems to be dropping out the - in The Boneyard URL and simply resorts to server not found or enters it as a search.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
haha, nice. :)
Both?
I am IT by career profession. Harm reduction healthcare care by volunteer passion.
Not exactly sure what harm reduction care is but great that you do it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I still cannot access the site on my iPad, iPhone, or Macbook Pro using Safari and through CenturyLink. It seems to be dropping out the - in The Boneyard URL and simply resorts to server not found or enters it as a search.

I mean you could just search for the boneyard on google and click the resulting search find. If it still goes "page not found" Really nothing Tom or anyone can do, simply a waiting game.

Reaction Score
if you didnt involuntarily crap brown water down your leg, then no, its not what it feels like.

Its a DNS issue. The site is fine. DNS Nameservers (which translate the name "the-boneyard.com" to IP addresses) take time to propagate across the web. I would assume you are an ATT cellular customer, because as of this morning the DNS change has not propagated through the wireless data network. I bet if you were on wifi you would connect.

Give it a few, changes seldom take as long as they used to and I believe propagation will be global by lunch time.
if you didnt involuntarily crap brown water down your leg, then no, its not what it feels like.

Its a DNS issue. The site is fine. DNS Nameservers (which translate the name "the-boneyard.com" to IP addresses) take time to propagate across the web. I would assume you are an ATT cellular customer, because as of this morning the DNS change has not propagated through the wireless data network. I bet if you were on wifi you would connect.

Give it a few, changes seldom take as long as they used to and I believe propagation will be global by lunch time.

That would be it - ATT & all. Back up and running, thanks.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not exactly sure what harm reduction care is but great that you do it.

Well for example, I volunteer at a Needle Exchange and trade used needles for clean ones at no charge. This has greatly reduced the spread of infectious diseases (most notably HIV and Hep C) among the addict community. I give out condoms. I talk to people about choices. I am there to talk to if they want to explore getting help to get off drugs. But if they arent ready to do that yet I dont judge, just try and reduce the harm involved.

Reaction Score
Finally coming through on my laptop. Still nothing on my I phone yet.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just started working for me again; would've made for a very long and boring day at work (much like yesterday).

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I restarted my Galaxy S6 and boom...back on the Yard via the Android.

Reaction Score
haha, nice. :)
Both?
I am IT by career profession. Harm reduction healthcare care by volunteer passion.

August - Give me the hotline number for the next time this happens to the boneyard ...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Kgun7 said:
August - Give me the hotline number for the next time this happens to the boneyard ...

1-877-LOL-CUSE.

Changes suicidal thoughts to laughter in a matter of seconds.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Here's what I was told by the host:

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, the issue with nameservers changes is that they can take at maximum 48-72 hours to take effect. Typically, it takes 24 hours with most providers, but your previous nameserver provider, PairNIC, had a high TTL (Time to Live) value which it can take a long time for changes to take effect. It's doing the same on my own computer right now as well, and when I lookup the path of how it's trying to find your site off on my own computer, it's still actually contacting PairNIC. During the transition period, it may go in/out. If you want to speed that up, you can switch your DNS servers on your iPad/computer to point to Google's Public DNS servers: 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. They grab the latest IP information and you should then see your site.

--------------

Unfortunately, I called the customer care person at pairnic a very bad word. I stand by what I said, but this may take a day or two for some of y all.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'd like to relocate to northern Vermont (Newport/Derby area), but can't afford to do so anytime soon. Maybe in a year or so.

My current home is only 650 sq ft, but I'm looking to downsize a bit (I live a very Spartan lifestyle). I'm told land and construction costs are much cheaper in "The Kingdom," and having the ability to flee the country in 20 minutes is a big plus for me.

As a kid, maybe 13, I was hauled up to Lake Memphremagog a couple of times. Once in good weather, and once in snowy weather, to do fishing. It was cool. I barely remember the area. But I remember liking it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
temery said:
Here's what I was told by the host: Hi Tom, Unfortunately, the issue with nameservers changes is that they can take at maximum 48-72 hours to take effect. Typically, it takes 24 hours with most providers, but your previous nameserver provider, PairNIC, had a high TTL (Time to Live) value which it can take a long time for changes to take effect. It's doing the same on my own computer right now as well, and when I lookup the path of how it's trying to find your site off on my own computer, it's still actually contacting PairNIC. During the transition period, it may go in/out. If you want to speed that up, you can switch your DNS servers on your iPad/computer to point to Google's Public DNS servers: 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. They grab the latest IP information and you should then see your site. -------------- Unfortunately, I called the customer care person at pairnic a bad work. This may take a day or two.

I have seldom seen it take 72 hrs. That DNS info is only a workaround if you are on wifi. If on cellular data there is no way to change you DNS to a static setting. ( besides jail breaking)

If people are still having trouble on wifi on iOS, try the following. If trouble on cellular, try the DNS cache flushing at the bottom of the article ( skip the rest) it may help, it may not.http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/
M

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I should note that the above is for iPad/ iPhone / Samsung users. Computer users can change DNS without issue

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd like to relocate to northern Vermont (Newport/Derby area), but can't afford to do so anytime soon. Maybe in a year or so.

My current home is only 650 sq ft, but I'm looking to downsize a bit (I live a very Spartan lifestyle). I'm told land and construction costs are much cheaper in "The Kingdom," and having the ability to flee the country in 20 minutes is a big plus for me.
Met a guy from South Carolina at Eli Cannon's a few months ago and he was telling me about the Tiny House Movement. Sounds like something that would interest you:

http://thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Reaction Score
I was out for two days. That was a tough stretch of time.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My phone is able to get here but the experience is not particularly good. No sign of access for my other devices.

Reaction Score
It takes a few hours + for ISPs to accept the new nameserver.
if you know this will happen beforehand....why not make an announcement on the website warning boneyarders that they may be inconvenienced for a time, but it will work itself out in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom