sit down, I cant see the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

sit down, I cant see the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This thread is about the Memphis game at GAMPEL.
The LTE referred to the Memphis game. Your reply was to a post referring to a game other than Memphis...Unless Memphis is now spelled M-A-R-Y-L-A-N-D. See below.
Depends who is behind him and how big the dude standing is. At the Maryland game it was a senior who had both knees replaced and the UConn fan refused to sit down.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It was one fan who called security, urged on by 100 or so others in my section, including me. I am no longer 20-ish. I cannot stand all game any longer. Most of us have paid good bucks for many years for the pleasure of sitting down in those seats. We have loved this team at least as much and for many more years than those stand-ups. I get it, standing up as a 20-ish makes you feel physical and that you root harder and love the team more than the older folks. It's fun, sure. Go to the student section, then. Those 10 guys were first-timers in that section. Like why do young-uns have to stand at concerts? It makes them feel as if they love the band more. Garbage. Our section stands up when it counts most - the end of close games and during important stops. We don't feel we have to stand all game to show support of our boys.

Every fan is equally important if they've got their ticket, so it doesn't matter how long you've been a fan.

Young people stand at concerts because it's more fun, you can dance, and get into it more.

That said, those stand up guys are far more important to the guys on the floor! Need far more animals in the stands. Maybe they should have their own section.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They say every school has its poorly behaving fans. We've found a few here.

If you care to follow basic rules of consideration of others while in a public place there isn't anything to discuss really.

If you are in a standing room section or in an section that traditionally stands, like the student section. Then standing the entire game is acceptable and anyone whining about it should know better next time.

If you are not in one of these areas, then standing the entire game when it bothers the other people behind you makes you an . There is no right or wrong way to be a fan, get over yourself. If you are beligerent about it and get tossed, it's your own fault no one elses.

If you want to jump up, or stand after a great play, for a key possession, or traditionally at the beginning of the half, then you're fine. If your still standing through the TV time out then sit your butt down, because no one want to be looking at it when they came to see a game.

If you are away from home, then follow the local crowd. Anyone who bought neutral seat lower bowl tickets to the Fiesta Bowl and stood the entire game is on the wrong side of this argument.

If you would like to discuss how your version of fandom is better than mine, the price of admission is exceeding my post/like count, my donor statement and the box of ticket stubs in my attic.

Otherwise, don't be a jerk in public.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey I get both sides of the argument. Key is you look back and if there are elders and/or kids don't be a little pr**k, just sit down.
Voice of reason, Mau. It amazes me how indignant people get about adhering to common courtesy.

FWIW, a point guard going full speed 100% of time is less effective than one that uses a burst of speed a key moments. It is the change that makes things effective.

Everyone one in the place supports the team and yeah when Gampel or the XL is rocking they can be amazing. Still, being civil isn't an unreasonable burden on the fans. If you can't stand, ask politely. If you can stand, don't be a about it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I had a Louisville fan call an usher on me in the Championship game of the 2011BE Tournament. I was standing for the first basket and it was taking a while. No physical problems just a surly Cardinals fan.
My beef was, he was right behind me, why not tell me?
Anyway, justice prevailed and he skulked away very quickly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are critical times to stand during a game. Stand during those times. Otherwise, sit down.
Most of the time, I associate the "SIT DOWN, KID!" Crowd as the stuffed shirts behind the benches in the lower bowl. I'm fine if they don't stand for every basket or opponent turnover, but they need to be informed that clapping and actively cheering on the team while sitting is not only allowed, but encouraged.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That said, those stand up guys are far more important to the guys on the floor!

They should worry more about what's happening on court than in the stands. I had to chuckle at the Gtown game. At a late timeout, they were waving everybody to stand even though everybody was already standing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They say every school has its poorly behaving fans. We've found a few here.

If you care to follow basic rules of consideration of others while in a public place there isn't anything to discuss really.

If you are in a standing room section or in an section that traditionally stands, like the student section. Then standing the entire game is acceptable and anyone whining about it should know better next time.

If you are not in one of these areas, then standing the entire game when it bothers the other people behind you makes you an . There is no right or wrong way to be a fan, get over yourself. If you are beligerent about it and get tossed, it's your own fault no one elses.

If you want to jump up, or stand after a great play, for a key possession, or traditionally at the beginning of the half, then you're fine. If your still standing through the TV time out then sit your butt down, because no one want to be looking at it when they came to see a game.

If you are away from home, then follow the local crowd. Anyone who bought neutral seat lower bowl tickets to the Fiesta Bowl and stood the entire game is on the wrong side of this argument.

If you would like to discuss how your version of fandom is better than mine, the price of admission is exceeding my post/like count, my donor statement and the box of ticket stubs in my attic.

Otherwise, don't be a jerk in public.

Level of fandom doesn't really matter much in this debate. One buys a ticket to the game, not the right to make other people's experience less enjoyable.

This is a major issue going forward in sports. You can't even take kids to NFL games anymore - and even at a place like Rentschler the drunks and scumbags are getting tired.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Level of fandom doesn't really matter much in this debate. One buys a ticket to the game, not the right to make other people's experience less enjoyable.

This is a major issue going forward in sports. You can't even take kids to NFL games anymore - and even at a place like Rentschler the drunks and scumbags are getting tired.

That was my entire point. The rest was a preemptive smack down of the if you don't stand then you are not a real fan crowd.

Reaction Score
Voice of reason, Mau. It amazes me how indignant people get about adhering to common courtesy.

FWIW, a point guard going full speed 100% of time is less effective than one that uses a burst of speed a key moments. It is the change that makes things effective.

Everyone one in the place supports the team and yeah when Gampel or the XL is rocking they can be amazing. Still, being civil isn't an unreasonable burden on the fans. If you can't stand, ask politely. If you can stand, don't be a about it.

Imagine that, mau "The Voice of Reason"? :oops:

Thanks CL82 made my day

Reaction Score
Standing the entire game, or even during periods with relatively little activity going on, is silly. Like some posters have said, there are situations when it calls for extra from the fans and as long as you respond with that at the right times, it's fine. The people who walk in the building saying "I'm standing the entire game no matter what" are idiot superfans that, hopefully someday, will grow up and realize they were idiots.

Reaction Score
When in doubt, do the polite thing.

That said, buying you a seat entitles you to a seat. That's it. If you are so bothered by people standing at events that often lead to people standing, cheering, and screaming....maybe you shouldn't be there. A stadium/arena is not a playhouse or movie theater.

Reaction Score

That said, buying you a seat entitles you to a seat. That's it. If you are so bothered by people standing at events that often lead to people standing, cheering, and screaming....maybe you shouldn't be there. A stadium/arena is not a playhouse or movie theater.

I don't think anyone is opposed to standing, cheering or screaming. Seems like most of the complaints come from when it's done for 2 hours straight and no one else in the section is doing it.

Reaction Score

Here's the key you did buy the seat I have no issues with that, but so did the people who can't or do not want to have some little punk standing because "he can" supposedly in front of them. So as long as they are ok when some kid who can throw down comes over to say "Hey you're disrespecting the elders or kids behind you so either sit down or I will sit you down.." then good for you. Because it will happen and I have SEEN it. Respect for your surroundings is all people ask for, if you can't deliver there may be an ugly ending which you deserve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I bring my 8 year-old to many of the games. If he can't see over you even standing on his seat, you're sitting or moving.

Two years ago I was with my dad, 4 weeks removed from a heart attack, and we had a group of 3 in our section (not the season ticket holder) that wanted to stand the whole game right in front of us. All it took was a polite "hey, I get it, but he had a heart issue and can't stand up all game", and the situation was taken care of. If your response to the same request is different from those three, you're an @-h0[e, and it's not debatable.

Reaction Score
Back in the 89-90 season there used to be this old guy that sat behind me and my friends at the HCC that used to pull me back down in my seat by the hood on my sweatshirt.
I'm pretty sure he did it during the fabled Syracuse and Georgetown games.
I never got mad but would end up standing up shortly there after and he never said anything to us about it.

On another occasion several years after I told one old fart once that if he wanted to sit and be entertained to go to /n Bushnell.
Told him that each fan was needed and the team fed off of each one of of us being into the game. He didn't respond. Just sat their like a lump showing no emotion.

At this years World Series I asked the people behind me if they mind if I stood every once in a while? They said no because they were going to stand most of the game too. And we did.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
At this years World Series I asked the people behind me if they mind if I stood every once in a while? They said no because they were going to stand most of the game too. And we did.

That's probably the best method.

I can see getting annoyed at the whole game thing, especially if space is tight, but I always get up in big moments. And there's often some complainer in the back saying "sit down", right during a big moment. Crazy.

You know when the crowd starts going ballistic when the team is making a run? That's usually not everybody sitting in their seats golf clapping.

Reaction Score

I can see getting annoyed at the whole game thing, especially if space is tight, but I always get up in big moments. And there's often some complainer in the back saying "sit down", right during a big moment. Crazy.

You know when the crowd starts going ballistic when the team is making a run? That's usually not everybody sitting in their seats golf clapping.

There's an elderly guy who sat behind me at Gampel for years and I always asked him if it was ok for me to stand.

He said go ahead. He saw me in action for a few years so he knew.....
The guy doesn't sit behind me this year -wonder if ......... Nah he wouldn't have moved would he? :)

Reaction Score

This^^^^ - when things are on a run and going great we all know it helps the team and it's obvious stand time. At that point sorry of you can't but everyone in front of me is too so too bad. Again all about respect, ask and sometimes you will receive. Assume and sometimes you will get in trouble.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There's an elderly guy who sat behind me at Gampel for years and I always asked him if it was ok for me to stand.

He said go ahead. He saw me in action for a few years so he knew.....
The guy doesn't sit behind me this year -wonder if .... Nah he wouldn't have moved would he? :)

Might be dead.

Reaction Score
This^^^^ - when things are on a run and going great we all know it helps the team and it's obvious stand time. At that point sorry of you can't but everyone in front of me is too so too bad. Again all about respect, ask and sometimes you will receive. Assume and sometimes you will get in trouble.

Yeah Mau that's what I'm talking about. Have had people over the years telling me to sit during huge runs or key defensive stands when the entire building is standing(that's when I lost it and used the Bushnell line on that guy).

I'm not standing all the time (anymore) :)

Reaction Score
Here's the key you did buy the seat I have no issues with that, but so did the people who can't or do not want to have some little punk standing because "he can" supposedly in front of them. So as long as they are ok when some kid who can throw down comes over to say "Hey you're disrespecting the elders or kids behind you so either sit down or I will sit you down.." then good for you. Because it will happen and I have SEEN it. Respect for your surroundings is all people ask for, if you can't deliver there may be an ugly ending which you deserve.

If it wasn't a sporting event, i would almost agree with you. Standing is as much a part of the experience as cheering from your seats. Again, when in doubt, do the polite thing. But a sittitng person at a football game does not have greater rights than someone who stands for three consecutive plays.
I am not talking about standing in fromt of the wheelchair section, just in general.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't a sporting event, i would almost agree with you. Standing is as much a part of the experience as cheering from your seats. Again, when in doubt, do the polite thing. But a sittitng person at a football game does not have greater rights than someone who stands for three consecutive plays.
I am not talking about standing in fromt of the wheelchair section, just in general.

Not arguing I get your point no doubt. But if we're going to say it's your experience and you have a right then when a few 10 year olds bring a sign that is bigger than you standing up and throw it up in front of you, you and your buddies can't see don't ask them to put it down. It is their right as a ticket holder then. I mean disrespectful comes in many faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom