sit down, I cant see the game | The Boneyard

sit down, I cant see the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This will always be an issue in UConn games. I flew out to Arizona Phoenix a few years ago to watch our beloved UConn Huskies football team play Oklahoma. A UConn fan who I recognized seeing at the Rent did the same thing. He call security to get the crazy UConn fans in front of him to seat down. It was such a downer for the rest of us in that section..

Reaction Score
It was one fan who called security, urged on by 100 or so others in my section, including me. I am no longer 20-ish. I cannot stand all game any longer. Most of us have paid good bucks for many years for the pleasure of sitting down in those seats. We have loved this team at least as much and for many more years than those stand-ups. I get it, standing up as a 20-ish makes you feel physical and that you root harder and love the team more than the older folks. It's fun, sure. Go to the student section, then. Those 10 guys were first-timers in that section. Like why do young-uns have to stand at concerts? It makes them feel as if they love the band more. Garbage. Our section stands up when it counts most - the end of close games and during important stops. We don't feel we have to stand all game to show support of our boys.

Reaction Score
Depends who is behind him and how big the dude standing is. At the Maryland game it was a senior who had both knees replaced and the UConn fan refused to sit down.
Boohoo. Seriously? There is handicapped seating all around the lower level of Gampel. The "senior" and his friendd have sat in those seats.

Reaction Score
It was one fan who called security, urged on by 100 or so others in my section, including me. I am no longer 20-ish. I cannot stand all game any longer. Most of us have paid good bucks for many years for the pleasure of sitting down in those seats. We have loved this team at least as much and for many more years than those stand-ups. I get it, standing up as a 20-ish makes you feel physical and that you root harder and love the team more than the older folks. It's fun, sure. Go to the student section, then. Those 10 guys were first-timers in that section. Like why do young-uns have to stand at concerts? It makes them feel as if they love the band more. Garbage. Our section stands up when it counts most - the end of close games and during important stops. We don't feel we have to stand all game to show support of our boys.
At least at the big games, I'd rather stand while the game is going on. Sit down during time outs and halftime. or buy more expensive seats. I see what you're saying, but the atmosphere at most of our games is passive, and it doesn't/shouldn't have to be that way.

Reaction Score
At least at the big games, I'd rather stand while the game is going on. Sit down during time outs and halftime. or buy more expensive seats. I see what you're saying, but the atmosphere at most of our games is passive, and it doesn't/shouldn't have to be that way.
These seats in question were probably as expensive as they get

Reaction Score
I don't understand the standing during the game unless you can't see properly. There's a level of comfort that should be associated with paying $30+ for a ticket. There are lovely standing areas, or stand and watch from the concourse at gampel. I'm a young-un and only want to stand if I'm in the student section where everyone is jumping around and getting wild.

Also, our tradition of standing and clapping for the first basket would be ruined. I complain over standing 3 minutes for the first score. Granted, it is for multiple reasons...

Reaction Score
Listen you buy a ticket you can stand. No one else can ruin it for you and make you sit. If you don't want people in front of you buy a first row seat

Reaction Score
Stand in a student section or somewhere else. People are so selfish and disregard common decency now. I am young and witness this on a daily basis. Experienced this at the uconn bowl game in Charlotte. Idiots stood setting off.a chain reaction of standing ruining the experience.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Everybody needs something to whine about I guess.

Reaction Score
Boohoo. Seriously? There is handicapped seating all around the lower level of Gampel. The "senior" and his friendd have sat in those seats.
And ot is so easy to get that handicapped pass that everyone should have them?

Reaction Score
I get the passive part and I agree. I may not stand as much as I used to but believe me and the folks in front of me, I am far from passive. As far as the tenor of the crowd in general, I'm surely spoiled by the OBE, with all the SRO games and roof rattling excitement. Now we never fill it up. I grudgingly have to accept we don't have 16,000 of what I define as hard core fans. Even for G'Town there were some seats available at face.

Reaction Score
And ot is so easy to get that handicapped pass that everyone should have them?

There is no pass needed. My girlfiend had hurt her knee. We spoke to one of the ushers and were allowed to sit in that row. Pretty simple really.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are merits to both sides of the argument, but who is in the right is completely dependent on the atmosphere in the building and what is going on the floor/field in front of you. Fans should have a good understanding of when both sitting and standing are appropriate.

On the other hand, a game and the associated emotion is fluid and certain plays move fans differently. I personally feel that too many people resort themselves to a strict set of cheering guidelines, which makes them at least appear like they are not having any fun. (Only stand on 3rd down. Only clap for gains of 4 yards or more and only for 4 seconds. Only 4 claps for a 10 foot jump shot, 3 for a lay-up. You may stand for a 3 pointer make, but not the shot itself, and only 7 claps. Return to seated position immediately). This is entertainment after all.

Finally fans need to practice a tad bit of common sense before evoking a nuclear option like calling security. Security not only takes away from the offending parties, but those in surrounding sections. Either those fans are more interested in the disturbance two sections over, or they are complaining about the fans more interested in the disturbance two sections over. Congratulations, you just set off a chain reaction that p_$$ed off 1,000 people.

Also you "sitters," please understand at point you are in the game. If it's a time out, keep your trap shut until the ref puts the ball back in play. You aren't missing anything.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Maryland game was played in New York City, not Storrs. Even then, the offending fan should have been more cognizant of his surroundings. If he is the only 1 of 20,000 people standing, he should sit. On the other hand, a disabled or "senior" with two knee replacements chose to sit among the masses. While I think common sense should preside, the other 1,000s of people in his/her midst should not be forced to bend over backwards to accommodate one person.

Reaction Score
The Maryland game was played in New York City, not Storrs. Even then, the offending fan should have been more cognizant of his surroundings. If he is the only 1 of 20,000 people standing, he should sit. On the other hand, a disabled or "senior" with two knee replacements chose to sit among the masses. While I think common sense should preside, the other 1,000s of people in his/her midst should not be forced to bend over backwards to accommodate one person.
This thread is about the Memphis game at GAMPEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom