Sinple as this--trust in Phil Nolan | The Boneyard

Sinple as this--trust in Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many teams dont have a Phil Nolan on the bench. Hes our BEST defensive big after Brimah and our formula in the past revolves around bigs who are mediocre on offense.

New line up--

C Nolan
F Miller
G Hamilton
G Purvis
G Gibbs

C Facey
G Calhoun
G Adams

Foul trouble
Cassell
Enosch

Reaction Score
I'm not going to get hung up on losing a rim protector. As long as Phil and Miller do their jobs on the glass and we don't get out-rebounded in games we should be alright. We clean up closing on the perimeter I'm still convinced we have an above average defensive team.

Our remaining bigs are pretty versatile. If other teams have a big brute down low (Ridley for TX for example) we can throw Enoch at them. Facey brings the athleticism and Phil brings the intangibles.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I think KO keeps Adams in the starting line-up with the small lineup and Miller at the 5. Nolan and Enoch will split time at the 5 when we do go big, but I don't expect it to be ALL ABOUT Nolan. Facey, Miller, Nolan, and Enoch will all see more time.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It was nice to see him get back in the scoring column last game.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Now that I've read the Brimah thread this one makes more sense.

and

holy crap, it's ENOCH... Wolf has been gone for like 4 years. Why is this so difficult?

Your expectations are too high. Remember most people spelled it as Wolfe for his entire tenure. Then there were Terrence Samuels and Leon Torksdorf.

Reaction Score
Now that I've read the Brimah thread this one makes more sense.

and

Your expectations are too high. Remember most people spelled it as Wolfe for his entire tenure. Then there were Terrence Samuels and Leon Torksdorf.
I also read this before reading the Brimah injury thread.

Reaction Score
Could be on to something, we are down in the charges taken category.

I said earlier UConn is not adverse to having a donut team. We've actually have had excellent results lately.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Phil uses this opportunity to channel his inner "Hilton Armstrong Senior year" and give us some solid minutes and a little more interior defense. this is one of those few times we may be thankful we are in the AAC and not the old Big East.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Phil uses this opportunity to channel his inner "Hilton Armstrong Senior year" and give us some solid minutes and a little more interior defense. this is one of those few times we may be thankful we are in the AAC and not the old Big East.

Wouldn't really matter because the "new" Big East is not the "old Big East" these days.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm still looking at Facey. I know he's slim and not a true C but he can just do more than Phil.

Reaction Score
I'm still looking at Facey. I know he's slim and not a true C but he can just do more than Phil.

He can I agree, but Phil is much "smarter" on D if healthy. KF gets lost a lot on D, loses his man, turns his back to the play following his man. While the offensive end he's a huge improvement the question is will he give it back on the other end? Still, he is going to get his chance as well as the other guys. Use all of their strengths while hiding their weaknesses. This isn't a situation that can't be overcome I mean the blocking ability won't be there but we can make up for the 5 rebounds for sure and the 7 points too. I mean minus the cupcakes the alley oops was nil vs the good big teams. Won't have anyone afraid to go to the hole so we will need to guard them, people do their jobs we survive.

Reaction Score
To think if Miller was just a couple inches taller this would all be water under the bridge...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn has 15 fouls to give at that position - let's hope they aren't used up by the 1st half

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think KO keeps Adams in the starting line-up with the small lineup and Miller at the 5. Nolan and Enoch will split time at the 5 when we do go big, but I don't expect it to be ALL ABOUT Nolan. Facey, Miller, Nolan, and Enoch will all see more time.

Can't do this against Texas. We'd get run out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
holy crap, it's ENOCH... Wolf has been gone for like 4 years. Why is this so difficult?

Dude, there's no chance you'll change scrappy anytime soon. He'll spell it wrong until about 5 years from now (long after he leaves); he'll then spell another current players name wrong. Scrap's a bit slow on the come. Eventually gets it though.

Reaction Score
I was a little disappointed in Phil's defense against UML. He wasn't worse than anyone else. But I thought he would do better.

Reaction Score
Dude, there's no chance you'll change scrappy anytime soon. He'll spell it wrong until about 5 years from now (long after he leaves); he'll then spell another current players name wrong. Scrap's a bit slow on the come. Eventually gets it though.

And at guard, #44, Rodney Perno....

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Sorry, I just can't hang my hopes on Phil. I've seen enough to know that he's not starter material. He takes an occasional charge, but brings no muscle to go with his size and has limited offensive abilities. I've said before, he's the most blocked player in the NCAA. I know they don't keep that stat, but it just seems he constantly is getting his shot sent back. I wish he would go to the hoop a little stronger and dunk that thing. Seems like he wants to be a finesse player. Given the number of guards we have, we may have to go with a Villanova look. I'd like to see Purvis and to a lesser degree Gibbs stop passing up open 3's. Miller will have to move to the 5 with some 4. Facey gets more time as does Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom