Simply incapable of winning tight games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Simply incapable of winning tight games

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People were so angry at the perceived laziness of the 2007 team that the only player they liked was Dyson. Imagine that, the board loving Dyson!

Not sure I believe you...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dude. You're out of it. You're using Calhoun's entire career to compare to this year's team. This year's team has collapsed more times in the final minutes then years of JC's teams.

JCs team followed a pattern. They played tight in the first part of the year. That's when most of the WT F loses occurred. They get wobbly in the middle of the season. But by the end of the year they play tenacious and with purpose. I watched this play out year after year. Some exceptions, sure. But the pattern is the pattern. We are now witnessing the second straight year where he team is lost at the end of games. The pattern is much different.

I never said there we no bad losses under Calhoun. I actually said the opposite. JC also had a problem with PC his entire career. They seemed to have JCs number. I still have nightmares about Linnahan. Sobeit. Not the point. But by the end of the year, the players knew what they were suppose to do. The season had a structure. They didn't lose because they didn't know what to do. They just couldn't do it. And when they didn't get it done, the coach went ballistic. He never accepted it.

Compare that to multiple shot clock violations we witness down the stretch this year. The TOs. The defensive lapses. This is much difference than we have seen under JC. It seems systemic rather than exceptional.

What you're witnessing is the direct consequence of not having a top shelf experienced PG. Not much more than that. Give this team an AJ Price, and you'd probably see another 5+ wins on the board.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yesterday the only consequence was that KO called his players out in the post-game news conference, and didn't take ANY of the blame himself. He actually said he and the coaching staff had the team prepared yesterday. Really? That is not only bad coaching, it's terrible leadership. You can call out your players, but you better take some of the responsibility yourself when your team comes out sleepwalking in game #29, at home, with its postseason chances hanging in the balance.

I like him challenging his players. These guys need it. They need to feel like their backs are against the wall every time they step on the court. Not enough urgency.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is clear there is a lack of leadership. Most can agree that the most painful thing to watch with this team is their complete ineptitude down the stretch. Everyone, especially led by Purvis, Hamilton completely shrivel when there is a close game with 3 minutes left.
This roller coaster season falls on the shoulders of the players AND Ollie.
Not sure if any of you watched Brad Stevens' Butler days, or especially Celtics games now. Stevens is in complete command of his team, and their execution is impeccable at times down the stretch of the game. Even if Brad's team is down 5 with 10 seconds left, there is absolutely no quit in his team. That's what separates a united team of talent from a disconnected team of talent.
It's ok if you lose a lead once or twice a season and shrivel at the end, but not when it happens 8-9 times, continuously throughout the season. We have not been outmatched in ANY of our 9 losses so far. All were winnable games. We just completely lose our marbles from Ollie, on down to the players.

Stephens has guys like Isaiah Thomas (All Star) and Shelvin Mack running the show. That's the biggest difference.

You are also talking about one of the best young coaches in all of basketball right now, pro or college.

Reaction Score
Yesterday the only consequence was that KO called his players out in the post-game news conference, and didn't take ANY of the blame himself.
I didn't realize you were in the locker room.

Reaction Score
I have a theory that no one will agree with. 6 players get most of the minutes, and in the last 6 minutes of the game the same players on the floor are out of gas. College players in this kind of shape should not be but when you are tired the shooting goes bye bye and you don't get back on defense. Maybe it's not the greatest theory but it's better than we don't have the will or are incapable of winning.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Stephens has guys like Isaiah Thomas (All Star) and Shelvin Mack running the show. That's the biggest difference.

You are also talking about one of the best young coaches in all of basketball right now, pro or college.
My point is regardless of who's playing point guard, and it's not like Shelvin Mack carried Butler by any means. Look at the in-bounds plays Stevens has drawn up late in games for the last 5 years, look at the effort level of his teams even when the game is seemingly over.
Perhaps Stevens is not a great example to compare to this team, because he's such a phenomenal coach. However, his Butler teams were no more talented, perhaps less talented than this UConn team. I'm just saying that what separates a team with talented guys from a good team is execution and level-headedness down the stretch. Stevens' even-keel emanated throughout the team. Ollie lacks that ability to know what's best situationally, and command control of his team down the stretch. If we don't have a leader on this team, then Ollie needs to be that leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom