OT: - Simone Biles will compete on the Balance Beam (spoiler alert) | The Boneyard

OT: Simone Biles will compete on the Balance Beam (spoiler alert)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Our expectations for Biles in these Olympics have certainly changed. We’ve gone from expecting Biles would win 5-6 gold medals to hoping she doesn’t injure herself. I just want to see her get through her beam routine safely and hopefully be able to smile again after it’s over.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Does anyone know:
The day of this competition?
Our time for the event...live?
The Channel?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does anyone know:
The Channel?
4:50 am est tomorrow. Don’t know if NBC will cover it live. They might just hold it for prime time, particularly if Biles somehow manages to shake off the twisties and win gold.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that the 'twisties' Simone has mentioned would seem to be more
prevalent in this particular event.
Actually it makes more sense that balance beam is probably the least effected by Twisties. Of the 4 events, you spend the least amount of time suspended in the air. I just hope she can finish it unharmed.

Reaction Score
Maybe she can do beam without "the twisties" being an issue by doing all tricks (like layouts and such) that don't require twisting in the air.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe she can do beam without "the twisties" being an issue by doing all tricks (like layouts and such) that don't require twisting in the air.
While that is a possibility, I don’t believe it’s her plan. When Biles is “on” there is no one in the world who’s even close to her on beam. But that means she has to go for it with her amazing repertoire of flips, spins and hand springs. I think she’ll go for it tonight, and hope that muscle memory somehow carries her through.

Reaction Score
If anyone deserves the GOAT title it is Biles. I have been a gymnastics fan for years, my daughter was a level 10, and Simone can do magic. When she is on it is like watching someone with super human ability. Just hope she is on!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's interesting that the 'twisties' Simone has mentioned would seem to be more
prevalent in this particular event.
This is not true at all. It's where the twisties would be least problematic. It's the event with the least twisting and "flying".

It's unbelievable how so many people have fashioned themselves to be gymnastics experts within the past week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not true at all. It's where the twisties would be least problematic. It's the event with the least twisting and "flying".

It's unbelievable how so many people have fashioned themselves to be gymnastics experts within the past week.
I respectfully suggest that doing blind backward somersaults, and landing on a 4” wide piece of wood is most definitely risky for someone who’s “air awareness” has been badly shaken over the past few months. Biles fell off the beam at the US trials and she had a major struggle in her one and only beam routine at these Olympics.

First and foremost, I hope Biles doesn’t injure herself. After that, I just hope she’s happy, however things turn out tonight.

arch

Reaction Score

I think you’re correct. If she takes twists out of dismount she‘ll probably be fine. Hope so.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I respectfully suggest that doing blind backward somersaults, and landing on a 4” wide piece of wood is most definitely risky for someone who’s “air awareness” has been badly shaken over the past few months.
And I respectfully suggest we listen to what the actual gymnasts have to say about it.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just for the record....since you quote me...I have not fashioned myself an expert. Maybe I am projecting too much harm possible to Simone if a mistake in the air leads to her hitting her head[for exampl] on the wooden bar as opposed to the mat.

Thank heavens that the mods do not require any of us posters to be experts while commenting with interest and fandom on hoop matters decided by Geno or Dawn etc.

Just hope she stays safe...whether it be a conservative routine or not.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Blake has been here at least 20 years and has never presented himself as a know it all. He didn’t make a proclamation, he just mused his opinion out loud. I don’t believe he deserved the derision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And I respectfully suggest we listen to what the actual gymnasts have to say about it.

Biles is struggling in the air in all 4 events. Whether it’s due to “the twisties”, a lack of confidence or both, the balance beam will not be easy for her. I sincerely hope she knocks it out of the park, but I’m concerned that she’s not up to this.

arch

Reaction Score
I respectfully suggest that doing blind backward somersaults, and landing on a 4” wide piece of wood is most definitely risky for someone who’s “air awareness” has been badly shaken over the past few months. Biles fell off the beam at the US trials and she had a major struggle in her one and only beam routine at these Olympics.

First and foremost, I hope Biles doesn’t injure herself. After that, I just hope she’s happy, however things turn out tonight.
Of course you’re right, the beam is always tough on everyone, but for someone with the “twisties” it may be their best bet.
I second your “hopes”.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Blake has been here at least 20 years and has never presented himself as a know it all. He didn’t make a proclamation, he just mused his opinion out loud. I don’t believe he deserved the derision.
@Blakeon18 , Nan is right and I hope you'll accept my apology. I was jumpy and my comment was a misdirection of my frustration over the boo-birds who have been attacking and questioning Biles since she withdrew from the team event. I shouldn't have lumped you in with them.

I appreciate the call-out, Nan.

As for Simone, since she had enough self-awareness and circumspection to withdraw previously, I trust that she (in consultation with her coaches) also has enough to recognize when she's okay to return to competition. I'm also inclined to defer to the insights of current and former gymnasts, who have a lifetime of living and breathing the sport, when they opine on the matter. Especially since I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
:D

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

100% you hit the nail on the head. She owes us nothing, her safety is of foremost importance, physical and mental.

arch

Reaction Score
While that is a possibility, I don’t believe it’s her plan. When Biles is “on” there is no one in the world who’s even close to her on beam. But that means she has to go for it with her amazing repertoire of flips, spins and hand springs. I think she’ll go for it tonight, and hope that muscle memory somehow carries her through.
Yes, but no “twists“ until dismount. Hopefully she can replace the twisting dismount. Of course this assumes that the “twisties“ are the sole issue.

arch

Reaction Score
Does anyone know:
The Channel?
Only listing I see is tomorrow on NBC anywhere from 8 to 11pm. Not very informative, I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom