OT: - Simi Shittu to Vanderbilt | The Boneyard

OT: Simi Shittu to Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
Second 5* for Vandy in 2018 class. In the running for 5* Romeo Langford too.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
SEC basketball really turning a corner

Reaction Score
It's called cash money. The SEC has always played by its own rules.

The enforcement arm of the NCAA is a University of Alabama (last I knew) guy. I am sure he was smiling last night when Sexton poured in 30.

Reaction Score
Classy video announcement. Don't lump Vandy into trash heap of other SEC teams. They play by the rules and keep much higher academic standards in recruiting in line with their overall academic standing of the college. What is occurring at Vandy is what should have occurred for years but was tempered by the inability of Kevin Stallings to recruit accordingly. Nashville/Vandy are a great city/school combination with no NBA competition. Bryce Drew was able to keep Garland (5* PG) home and that is drawing other top recruits. It is the 2017 version of Calhoun and Chris Smith. All Vandy needed was an energetic coach that could connect with the student athletes and sell Vandy as potentially another Duke or Stanford. Pitt is stuck with Stallings and Vandy is kicking themselves for holding onto Stallings for 5 years too long.

Reaction Score
Classy video announcement. Don't lump Vandy into trash heap of other SEC teams. They play by the rules and keep much higher academic standards in recruiting in line with their overall academic standing of the college. What is occurring at Vandy is what should have occurred for years but was tempered by the inability of Kevin Stallings to recruit accordingly. Nashville/Vandy are a great city/school combination with no NBA competition. Bryce Drew was able to keep Garland (5* PG) home and that is drawing other top recruits. It is the 2017 version of Calhoun and Chris Smith. All Vandy needed was an energetic coach that could connect with the student athletes and sell Vandy as potentially another Duke or Stanford. Pitt is stuck with Stallings and Vandy is kicking themselves for holding onto Stallings for 5 years too long.
The Vanderbilt academic thing is pretty much bullscalito just like it is for Duke and ND. I'm saying this as a Vanderbilt fan, brother went there and some of my best friends went there. I do agree that they could become Duke light though.

Reaction Score
Simi Shittu to Vanderbilt - I Shittu not.

Just wanted to sneak a last one in before the kid becomes irrelevant to me.

At least its not a full Shittu!

Reaction Score

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oh their coach is Scott Drew's brother? That's interesting.

One of the staff members used to work at a wealth management company for professional athletes. Of course the coach is also a Drew. Having said that Vandy is a great academic institution. That works to their advantage on several fronts here.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to Nashville many times
It’s a great town and a great campus.
if Vandy left for the B1G the SEC could stop pretending and join the NFL

Reaction Score
It seems to me that Bryce Drew's father was a former coach who Bryce played for in college. It's in the genes.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Is Bryce Drew a good coach?
Yes. Vandy could end up being very legit, but my guess is a prestige program throws $$$ at him soon (maybe UCLA after Alford gets fired).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's called cash money. The SEC has always played by its own rules.

GlamorousSpecificKitfox-size_restricted.gif

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Classy video announcement. Don't lump Vandy into trash heap of other SEC teams. They play by the rules and keep much higher academic standards in recruiting in line with their overall academic standing of the college.

The Vanderbilt academic thing is pretty much bullscalito just like it is for Duke and ND. I'm saying this as a Vanderbilt fan, brother went there and some of my best friends went there. I do agree that they could become Duke light though.

I went there and there's no doubt some of those guys were getting 'benefits'.

Vandy bends the rules just like most other SEC schools, though probably not to the same degree. The academic thing is an impediment for a group of kids, but it doesn't change the system completely. Plenty of kids were getting their work done for them. What they don't have is as many boosters interested in funding these programs.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Based on what? What makes you think this besides your "feelings"?

Reaction Score
Yes. Vandy could end up being very legit, but my guess is a prestige program throws $$$ at him soon (maybe UCLA after Alford gets fired).

Sorry that was a joke. People love asking if Bryce's brother Scott is a good coach.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to Nashville many times
It’s a great town and a great campus.
if Vandy left for the B1G the SEC could stop pretending and join the NFL

Nashville is a great town in the sense that it was a dump that is becoming a non-dump. Totally overrated just because they have a strip with fun honkey tonks. Regardless, I’ll be back, my wife likes it. They serve enough alcohol and meat for me to tolerate the smell of poop that permeates the city many days of the year due to a dated sewer system.

Reaction Score
Nashville is a great town in the sense that it was a dump that is becoming a non-dump. Totally overrated just because they have a strip with fun honkey tonks. Regardless, I’ll be back, my wife likes it. They serve enough alcohol and meat for me to tolerate the smell of poop that permeates the city many days of the year due to a dated sewer system.

I hate country music. I've tried to like it. I like almost all types of music... even the types I don't like admitting to. But I just can do country.

That being said, I've been to Nashville twice and I think it is a cool city. The immediate surrounding suburbs are very nice also. I was shocked how expensive they are. Living in an expensive area of NJ I always assume that secondary cities are cheaper, but Nashville is very pricey. It gets cheap once you pass the first couple suburbs, which where my friend lives (20 something miles outside Nashville). It's horrible out there.

I can lose a few dozen pounds, but if I lived in Nashville, I'd be pushing 3 bills. I'd eat hot chicken every day, sometimes twice. I think just about everything was deep fried or otherwise cooked in butter.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt gets more money for its AD in one year than UConn gets in 8. Its inevitable that the P5 conferences will pull away in every sport eventually, it just dpends how and when any given decides to focus on upgrading a aprticualr sport. For Vandy, they'll never compete in fball, so let's focus our resources into hoops, where at least we have some history and only need a couple top kids to compete nationally...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt gets more money for its AD in one year than UConn gets in 8. Its inevitable that the P5 conferences will pull away in every sport eventually, it just dpends how and when any given decides to focus on upgrading a aprticualr sport. For Vandy, they'll never compete in fball, so let's focus our resources into hoops, where at least we have some history and only need a couple top kids to compete nationally...

Baseball. Huge at Vandy. Has been for years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom