Signs of Improvement | The Boneyard

Signs of Improvement

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Today AEH looked really good and I really like the play of Irwin. AEH has a really really good shot. Maybe the best shooter excluding some of the starters. She can score alot of points is very confident in her shot and hustles. Dont forget when Coach Ricci was coming to UConn games to watch Saniya many times AEH was there too. She looked really good yesterday and was in the flow for the most part with the team.

Irwin I really like her game. She may be a step slow but shes a worker and she will get there. It looks like to me that Geno is giving the non starters time based on their performance in practice. This is good. It creates competition amongst them and competition makes you work harder.

MWs shot was off today but the rest of her game is quick and aggressive. She knows how to play the game at a high level. She is NHSPOY and you can see why. Understand our underclassman will have some games where they look really good and some games where they will disappear if you will. Thats just the way it will be as they are developed and learn UConns system.

Molly is steady. Doesnt look to do to much but does what she has to do.

My question is whats up with Coombs? Shes not getting the PT I expected.

Hey we are getting glimpses of the potential of some of our non starters. Geno is working them into the lineup with the starters and with big leads. It seems to me they are coming along at their own pace and without the pressure of having to do anything more then they feel comfortable with. We will be very deep come March as they develop and when Camara and Lou get healthy. Its hard for me to fathom how UConn can man handle top opponents with Lou and Camara not in the lineup and UConn will only get better as the season progresses. It seem every season UConn gets better and spaces themselves even higher then the season before and unfortunately no other team in WCBB is getting close to them . Next season will be even better but the fun part will be in February March and April because as this team continues to jell they will be man handling every opponent. Its been said that UConn is at the next level. Well we have been saying that for a very long time and every year the next level gets further away from all their opponents

UConn is a high octane machine right now and will become even more explosive as their chemistry comes together. The ND game next weekend could be the explosive game we've been expecting as fans.

Reaction Score
Can't say I really like Irwin's or Bent's game all that much, but the effort level is there and they've clearly bough into the UConn system. There may that kind of an issue with Coombs, either in practice or with attitude that unfortunately we won't have much if any insight into unless one of the coaches comments on it.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
sooner or later one of the current freshmen decides to transfer out.

That is a non-discussion item on this board (and I'm not a mod).

Reaction Score
Can't say I really like Irwin's or Bent's game all that much, but the effort level is there and they've clearly bough into the UConn system. There may that kind of an issue with Coombs, either in practice or with attitude that unfortunately we won't have much if any insight into unless one of the coaches comments on it.
I agree. If you looked closely at Molly's play yesterday, as well as Kyla's, they were " in net" unproductive. Both turnover the ball freely. They may make a reasonable pass or play, and then they will do the opposite. Sometimes, I think Molly is not even looking where her passes go. They work hard. But they are not positive contributors to the team and, other than effort, I see little confidence and little ability to create something positive. Kyla, occasionally, makes a good pass for an assist. Usually, she tries to thread the needle a bit too precisely and it becomes a turnover. Mostly, I think they want to " do their time" on the court, and get off with out making any glaring errors. By way of contrast, Megan and yesterday, AEH, both look to score. The next time Molly looks to score will be at home, in her driveway, playing with friends. Frankly, I see them slipping lower on the " next player up " list, particularly if AEH, Megan and eventually, the Kentucky transfer begin playing more. Haven't seen enough of either Lexi or the Georgia peach, to know if their skills are also vastly superior to those of Molly and Kyla, but it doesn't seem hard to imagine at this point.

Reaction Score
Longtime fan, I agree with your critique of Molly and Kyla. They haven't made enough of an improvement from last year. Megan and Andra are certainly ahead of them. Batouly will be soon.

Reaction Score
Longtime fan, I agree with your critique of Molly and Kyla. They haven't made enough of an improvement from last year. Megan and Andra are certainly ahead of them. Batouly will be soon.

Agree, when everyone is healthy IMO
6th woman -Stevens
7th Walker
8th/9th AEH-2nd guard off the bench and Camara-2nd big off the bench

I even think Coombs can bypass Bent by the end of the year b/c she is naturally more dynamic and looks to make things happen. Bent has not progressed much IMO, she still poses little to no threat at the offensive end. Her 4 points this year are all on run out lay ups. She doesn't look to be aggressive at all in the offense. Her passes seem very mechanical, a beat slow which allows the defense to recovery often. 6 TO's and 1 assist is not a line to earn abundant playing time. AEH has actually bypassed her in total minutes slightly 35 to 31.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Today AEH looked really good and I really like the play of Irwin. AEH has a really really good shot. Maybe the best shooter excluding some of the starters. She can score alot of points is very confident in her shot and hustles. Dont forget when Coach Ricci was coming to UConn games to watch Saniya many times AEH was there too. She looked really good yesterday and was in the flow for the most part with the team.

Irwin I really like her game. She may be a step slow but shes a worker and she will get there. It looks like to me that Geno is giving the non starters time based on their performance in practice. This is good. It creates competition amongst them and competition makes you work harder.

MWs shot was off today but the rest of her game is quick and aggressive. She knows how to play the game at a high level. She is NHSPOY and you can see why. Understand our underclassman will have some games where they look really good and some games where they will disappear if you will. Thats just the way it will be as they are developed and learn UConns system.

Hey we are getting glimpses of the potential of some of our non starters. Geno is working them into the lineup with the starters and with big leads. It seems to me they are coming along at their own pace and without the pressure of having to do anything more then they feel comfortable with. We will be very deep come March as they develop and when Camara and Lou get healthy. Its hard for me to fathom how UConn can man handle top opponents with Lou and Camara not in the lineup and UConn will only get better as the season progresses. It seem every season UConn gets better and spaces themselves even higher then the season before and unfortunately no other team in WCBB is getting close to them . Next season will be even better but the fun part will be in February March and April because as this team continues to jell they will be man handling every opponent. Its been said that UConn is at the next level. Well we have been saying that for a very long time and every year the next level gets further away from all their opponents

UConn is a high octane machine right now and will become even more explosive as their chemistry comes together. The ND game next weekend could be the explosive game we've been expecting as fans.

Much here for me to agree with. Molly and Irwin are workers, trying hard; neither is a super star or a low level star to be. If, If they develop beyond where they are they can become utility players and give Uconn good off the bench relief, for moments. Irwin has no fear--unlike Molly, Irwin will toss it up without real concern. Molly thinks too much, her talent exceeds what we have seen, but she is inhibited by her personality--a really nice kid.\ If she can say": To H_LL with everything, I'm going to play (within the system) my way. Then she'll get more effective PT.

I more than agree with AEH, she's a keeper, and gets the Uconn defense and offense, she still needs teaching, but she's a NEW frosh. Most of that is true of the High talented/high BB IQ Megan Walker.

Geno has almost thrilled me with his use of AEH and Walker early in pretty important/big games--that will pay off big time in April. Hope Irwin, Molly, Mykala, Alexi can do the same in March/April. It would be nice if our 7 starters can end the tourney with less than tired legs.

Intuitively, I have to believe (I maybe wrong, it won't be the first) that there is more to the Gordon issue than just Conditioning. Geno and I have said: 18 year olds should be capable of running all day and twice on saturdays.
Mykala, people on this board whom I respect, have spoken high of Mykala Coombs, I haven't seen it.

Every word in the highlighted sentence is explosive in it's truth.

Reaction Score
Agree, when everyone is healthy IMO
6th woman -Stevens
7th Walker
8th/9th AEH-2nd guard off the bench and Camara-2nd big off the bench

I even think Coombs can bypass Bent by the end of the year b/c she is naturally more dynamic and looks to make things happen. Bent has not progressed much IMO, she still poses little to no threat at the offensive end. Her 4 points this year are all on run out lay ups. She doesn't look to be aggressive at all in the offense. Her passes seem very mechanical, a beat slow which allows the defense to recovery often. 6 TO's and 1 assist is not a line to earn abundant playing time. AEH has actually bypassed her total minutes slightly 35 to 31.
\
You may be right about Coombs, doubtful, but maybe. Molly at her rate of development can be bypasses by uninhibited dynamic players , and AEH and Walker has. The same could be said of bypassing Irwin. Camara--I have great hopes, but in the reality of life; with the slow entry into the Uconn system this year, it could be the end of the year or next before she provides good play. I hope I'm wrong. The less physically injured Danger never really got on track until April, even then not like this year.

In two games we have seen a leap for AEH. She has some skills at PG and definitely can shoot the 3, without fear.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a reminder on minutes and reading too much into future performance:
A current senior had the following minutes in her first games against ranked teams:
Stanford: zero in a loss
ND: 5 in a 18 point win on Dec 6.
and she finished her stellar freshman season with three NCAA games of
Dayton: 5 in a 21 point win
MD: 6 in a 23 point win
ND: 3 in a 10 point win.

The best thing to say about 99.9% of freshman is that they inevitably become sophomores.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Lest I remind everyone that's concerned with bench playing time and freshmen development, that they're only 5 games into the season. The first 4 against ranked opponents. This season is NOT a sprint, it's a marathon. There's plenty of time left for bench development.

The first item on the agenda is to get the core players (starters + 6th man) enough time to mesh get comfortable with each other. To flawlessly be able to execute Geno's offense as designed while also being able to execute the defensive schemes and player assignments and responsibilities he expects against other teams, not to mention getting experience playing through adversity. They must be ready for post season play. They must have the time to jell and learn to trust each other.

Bench and freshman development IS NOT a priority at this time of the year. The staff has a plan that will address bench development during the optimal time of the season in January and February against what everyone perceives to be lesser opponents. One issue at a time. Posters are complaining about deficiencies in every starter. None of them have escaped the bite and criticism of fans and boosters. How about the staff addresses those issues and get them fixed first.

Whatever the Huskies do this year, and how far they go will determined by the core group (the starters) and the 6th & 7th man. The staff has between now and next October to get the freshmen ready for next year. Stevens, Camara and Walker will have to be the bench players that Geno can depend on to support and back up the starters this season, not numbers 9-13. How far down the bench did Geno go last year in crunch time?

There will be plenty of opportunities during the season for Geno to give the bench players playing (and development) time as they earn it. It will be more important to see how bench players are developing in January and February than right now. He's not going to empty the bench during BIG statement making games against the Notre Dames, South Carolinas, Texas', Louisvilles, etc., as the Huskies go about marking their territory for the end of the year tournaments, and maintaining their #1 ranking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

I could not agree more with your comments on AEH and KI. The both have a world of potential and certainly posses solid skills. I think both AEH and KI are good shooters. KI brings intensity and max effort. AEH looks smooth out there. She looks like a real top contributor in the making.

Where i question u is with your comments on MB. How is Molly steady? Steady at eatting up garbage minutes and turning the ball over if pressured? She's a good player, good D2 player. That's no knock I was a good uconn intramural player than got dominated by big Rigby, shea Ralph and Amy Duran at the clubhouse. All good, but it is what it is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I had posted in another thread (specifically about Lexi) that I recalled Geno saying she wasn't in good shape. I was incorrect - what he actually said was that she could not keep up at this time. His comments were more vague and COULD imply fitness, but could also imply that the game is simply too fast for her at this time (high school hoops is simply played at a "slower" pace).

@TitleTown mentioned that she had to take the "UCONN conditioning test multiple times before she passed". I tried looking it up on the net but could not find any article on that. Not saying it isn't true, just that I had not heard this. It certainly would support the "lack of fitness" more than the "speed of the game".

Having said that, I echo what some of the more patient posters have said - the best thing about freshmen is that the become sophomores. And FWIW, many kids stay 4 years at UCONN really never earning more than 4-5 minutes in blowouts in PT.

Kerns, Fernandez, Buck (except for Baylor game), Williams (Tahirah), and maybe a few others never saw significant PT. Some kids, like Gardler, were lightly regarded, but end up earning some solid PT by their senior years. Others, like the aforementioned, never play significant minutes BUT are/were great teammates and by all accounts, LOVED the entire UCONN experience. Some kids simply do not come here to be hoops stars, and that should be good enough for us fans since it's good enough for Geno and the coaches.

It remains to be seen what kind of players the current crop of freshmen and sophomores will become. If I had to guess at this time, Bent, Irwin and Gordon will likely fall into the category of "less PT", especially once Camara and Lou are healthy. But assuming they stay 4 years, will get experiences unlike ANY that could be enjoyed at any other school not named UCONN...

Reaction Score
Today AEH looked really good and I really like the play of Irwin. AEH has a really really good shot. Maybe the best shooter excluding some of the starters. She can score alot of points is very confident in her shot and hustles. Dont forget when Coach Ricci was coming to UConn games to watch Saniya many times AEH was there t

TONY: when you, as Mr. Enthusiam," entitle a post "Signs of improvement," I begin looking for evidence that inifinity has been extended ;) . Your usual fine job and always appreciated.

Do want to add one thing about BENT, while agreeing with most of what others wrote in this thread: that is, aren't I correct in recalling that Chong struggled with confidence for much of three years before becoming a very important contributor in her senior year?

Reaction Score
All great people on this team and the whole program but right now Kyla and Molly are 20, 20 or 20 players. Lexi and Mikayla are only freshmen with 5 games for their career so wont put them there yet.

Reaction Score
Our Womens Basketball League, the American Conference as we all know is not a competitive league for us. These teams recruit players outside the top fifty which is fine. We have two players that that fit that mode being Kayla and Molly last year. We should not be comparing them to our elite athletes. Kayla can not jump as a forward as our starters and Molly did not follow the weight training program that Dangerfield did this summer to be stronger and faster to be on same level as our guards. But they can contribute in our conference games. Please do not expect them to play in the clutch against teams like Notre Dame.
Let's enjoy the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom