Signing Week 11/14-11/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Signing Week 11/14-11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Something doesn't feel right about Akok's decision or lack thereof.

Dom Amore reported this afternoon "UConn expects letters from Bouknight and Gaffney", but also noted:

"Several Putnam Science Academy players will be signing national letters of intent Wednesday, but UConn target Akok Akok is not ready to make a decision, coach Tom Espinosa said."

Seems odd in view of all the Boneyard insiders winks and hints, and Akok's attendance at the Morehead State game.
If he wanted to see how Hurley coaches in game situations and how hard the players play for him that game should have sealed the deal (especially when he saw how fast Hurley ran over to Carlton when he dove over the endline).

Hoping it's just that he wants some drama and a stage all to himself when he makes his announcement, but someone posted elsewhere that his father wants Syracuse and in some cultures kids show great deference to their parents' wishes.

NOT MINIMIZING & want to emphasize I Love the Picking up Carlton gesture, but in today’s age of “what have you done for me lately“, Hurley’s ability to put and elevate JA on draftboards will be 10x more significant for the type of NBA Potential players we’re looking to bring back IMO

Reaction Score
2019 Hot Board: Elite prospects still weighing their options

Precious Achiuwa, 6-8, PF, No. 10
Another player sure to sign late, Achiuwa also hasn't taken a single official visit just yet. For most of his recruitment, this was assumed to be a St. John's vs. UConn battle, and those two are still very much in the picture. UCLA also has a legitimate shot, and he recently took unofficial visits to Memphis and Western Kentucky.

Prediction: UConn
Confidence level: 30 percent

Kofi Cockburn, 6-10, C, No. 31
Cockburn is another who won't be deciding early, as he has taken just one official visit so far, going to UConn last month. St. John's and Pittsburgh are also factors here, and he will likely officially visit both schools at some point. Cockburn is also considering other schools, and as his senior season at Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) progresses, new schools could enter the picture.

Akok Akok, 6-9, PF, No. 39
It wouldn't be a surprise to see Akok make a decision this period, as he finished up his five official visits last month. He went to Providence, Georgetown, UConn, Syracuse and Pittsburgh in consecutive weekends, and is presumed to be in decision-making mode. UConn and Pittsburgh were receiving most of the buzz as of a couple weeks ago, and would be the most likely destinations if Akok decides soon.

Confidence level: 45 percent

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2019 Hot Board: Elite prospects still weighing their options

Precious Achiuwa, 6-8, PF, No. 10
Another player sure to sign late, Achiuwa also hasn't taken a single official visit just yet. For most of his recruitment, this was assumed to be a St. John's vs. UConn battle, and those two are still very much in the picture. UCLA also has a legitimate shot, and he recently took unofficial visits to Memphis and Western Kentucky.

Kofi Cockburn, 6-10, C, No. 31
Cockburn is another who won't be deciding early, as he has taken just one official visit so far, going to UConn last month. St. John's and Pittsburgh are also factors here, and he will likely officially visit both schools at some point. Cockburn is also considering other schools, and as his senior season at Oak Hill Academy (Virginia) progresses, new schools could enter the picture.

Akok Akok, 6-9, PF, No. 39
It wouldn't be a surprise to see Akok make a decision this period, as he finished up his five official visits last month. He went to Providence, Georgetown, UConn, Syracuse and Pittsburgh in consecutive weekends, and is presumed to be in decision-making mode. UConn and Pittsburgh were receiving most of the buzz as of a couple weeks ago, and would be the most likely destinations if Akok decides soon.

Confidence level: 45 percent
So we have a 105% chance of landing one of these guys, right? Awesome!

Reaction Score
I was at the gym early this morning and this guy was wearing a bright blue and yellow Pitt t shirt. He saw me looking at him and we caught eyes a few times and had a mini staredown. He has bigger muscles than me. Is this a sign of bad luck coming???

Reaction Score
I was at the gym early this morning and this guy was wearing a bright blue and yellow Pitt t shirt. He saw me looking at him and we caught eyes a few times and had a mini staredown. He has bigger muscles than me. Is this a sign of bad luck coming???
I got into an argument with a kid wearing a Kentucky jersey at a UConn dining hall once. Was I being a hardo? Totally. But sometimes you just gotta let them know

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a side note, I see Precious labeled as a PF frequently. He looks to me like a long wing, who clearly has the skill set to play SF, and that would certainly be his position in the NBA. I mention it only because if we have Akok and Cockburn, I don't think that would deter Precious from coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Gaffney and Bouknight
Speaking of.....this is from Gaffneys IG
Screenshot_20181114-102633.png

Reaction Score

Does this make sense to anyone else? Is there an issue with both playing together?

Reaction Score
I think this is kind of the way this goes.

We get Akok or Cockburn. I don't see us getting both
Leaves the window open for Precious regardless of Akok or Cockburn
Wahab is impacted by none of these.

My BET is Akok/Wahab.

If we land Precious, too - then look out.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Does this make sense to anyone else? Is there an issue with both playing together?

I think he's just saying that odds are both won't go to the same school. If he gives each one a 30% chance to come to UConn, then that's something like a 12% chance that both come here.

Reaction Score
As a side note, I see Precious labeled as a PF frequently. He looks to me like a long wing, who clearly has the skill set to play SF, and that would certainly be his position in the NBA. I mention it only because if we have Akok and Cockburn, I don't think that would deter Precious from coming to UConn.

It doesn't do to dwell on dreams...

Reality check- I'd be content with just Akok committing this month and then getting a transfer or two in the spring...

Carlton will keep getting better and better. He can remain our starting Center next year if we don't get Wahab, Kofi or Tre...

This is the worst case scenario AND we'd still be capable of winning games next march! (right??):

Gilbert- Gaffney
Vital- B.Adams
Bouknight- Wilson
Akok- Polley
Carlton- Diarra

Having said that, if we do ultimately get akok and one of those 3 bigs (especially kofi), then yeah i think our odds of landing Precious too will skyrocket!!!!!

Again, just hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
NOT MINIMIZING & want to emphasize I Love the Picking up Carlton gesture, but in today’s age of “what have you done for me lately“, Hurley’s ability to put and elevate JA on draftboards will be 10x more significant for the type of NBA Potential players we’re looking to bring back IMO

And yet look at how Gonzaga gets players and premium transfers despite putting exactly who into the nba?

It’s not a strong crop. And most of it was just recent one and done guys.

Reaction Score
I'm going to do what I did when we were waiting on Bouknight. Get off the Boneyard and check the Courant once or twice a day for the announcement. Worked that time so logically it will again, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom