Signing Day @ The Dog House (Wednesday, February 5 from 5:30-7 p.m.) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Signing Day @ The Dog House (Wednesday, February 5 from 5:30-7 p.m.)

Reaction Score
I hope they get to the nys hs coaches convention on the 6 & 7. Schiano is the keynote.

Reaction Score
Long time season ticket holder but I can't be there. I do have a question for Edsall. It's oemthing that can be asked of every coach but I have never seen it addressed.

Q: "We know each off season the players do specific things to get better. They lift weights to get stronger, etc. Is there anything that coaches do in the off season to get better? And have you done anything specific to get better this off season?"

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Long time season ticket holder but I can't be there. I do have a question for Edsall. It's oemthing that can be asked of every coach but I have never seen it addressed.

Q: "We know each off season the players do specific things to get better. They lift weights to get stronger, etc. Is there anything that coaches do in the off season to get better? And have you done anything specific to get better this off season?"
Kaizen. Great question.

Reaction Score
I was actually surprised at how many people were there given what we’ve been through in the last ten years. I think most of the seats were taken and some people standing in the back too

Reaction Score
I was actually surprised at how many people were there given what we’ve been through in the last ten years. I think most of the seats were taken and some people standing in the back too
There was a noticeable drop off from the last few years. I usually don't get a seat at the event. The most interesting statement made by Edsall is how good of player he thinks DL Dalmont Gourdine is going to be.

Reaction Score
There was a noticeable drop off from the last few years. I usually don't get a seat at the event. The most interesting statement made by Edsall is how good of player he thinks DL Dalmont Gourdine is going to be.
I thought he would see the field last year, especially in the last 4 games. He didn't get in at all, right?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It was a fun event. Different format in no audience questions (most were terrible through the years). New recruits who were there got to introduce themselves. My biggest takeaway is that the kids who redshirted look good. RE was positive about depth and ability and did not talk about young or rebuilding! He talked about winning! Positive vibes from players and staff.

Reaction Score
Can someone name all the players that participated, I've got Mensah, Mitchell, Zergiotis, Ross? Others?

Reaction Score
Mitchell was there and he is going to be a dude at LB for us. He made plays as a freshman and he has good size for someone that young. As for new players Senecal was there as was Heatherman. Nate (not Nathaniel) Carter was there, he made folks laugh. There was 3 others -Ryan Blake IIRC. Edsall did talk about wins in his closing statement which addressed building roster depth which he felt was not as possible with one year transfers. He would prefer 2 seasons if possible so the JUCO route there. Mentioned Pikiell and the recent article about him and how it is a process and we have changed over the roster and are about to see the results. The players are optimistic. Frank G will be doing both jobs again this year.

Reaction Score

I had decent length conversation with Randy and Dave B. Neither time did I want to sound as uninformed as to what it takes to run a D1 football program as you do. So I failed to ask your question.
My apologies to a fellow season ticket holder...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is a little more from last night:

1. I was busy all day and did not know all of Edsall's comments regarding transfer portal until he got up and spoke about it.
2. RE stated the vibe in the program is very different than the narrative outside the program. He had the other coaches get up and speak about the commitment of the team. As you can expect, he could careless about the vibe.
3. RE spoke of relationships with high school coaches that go back as far as his days at Cuse and BC that helped them get some of the kids that are coming. My take: those coaches know RE and don't care what the outside noise is.
4. RE put a caviat on the QB position regarding the transfer portal because there can be one starter and if you don't win or fit, you would sit.
5. RE did say some kids in the portal can't come because of not getting into the grad school or the academic restrictions do not allow them to transfer due to grades.
6. RE feels he can better manage a roster as a developmental program and getting kids bought in over the long haul than filling a roster with the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
HCRE mentioned having all the assistant coaches returning as a positive for the program. This applies to and helps recruiting as well IMO. The assistants and Matt King bring a lot of positive energy. We have some impressive players signed this year and the last 5 signed were real good gets. Ramon Young being brought in to be a center for the future has great footwork. We got the jersey defensive player of the year in McCarthy. Quay Evans at D-line will be able to help this year.
I can see the point of no Spring game. Especially in light of reducing the head injury probability. The players can get up to full contact speed in limited drills but you limit the impacts that cause injury. With the 12 game fall schedule there is plenty of full contact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom