Signing day event attendance | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Signing day event attendance

Reaction Score
Okay, Edsall has 5 scholarships in his pocket.

We will graduate 8 guys that will definitely leave the program.

Normal attrition will be 4-6 more guys.

That means we can bring in 17-19 guys next year. More or less, depending on how many of the ships Edsall has in hand that he keeps and the amount of attrition. I'm more worried about the ability to bring in a a strong class next year than one or two portal players.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm more worried about the ability to bring in a a strong class next year than one or two portal players.

I'm more worried that a pattern of failing to utilize every scholarship in a given cycle is contributing to our problem with having a depleted group of upper classman. If we go into fall with more than one scholarship open then shame on Randy for not working harder. Everyone of these 5 open slots should be filled with a body that is here using the gym, learning the playbook and developing. If we wait until next year that means we have just 5 more kids that are of little use until 2022 or later.

He has to fill these slots by 8/1. We should enter fall camp with a full roster. Frankly we should be like other programs where we have to gray shirt a kid once in a while.

This idea that we need to save slots for the following year is ridiculous when you consider how narrow our recruiting band is.

Next year will have 8 seniors, probably at least 5 red shirt JRs that leave and probably 2 to 4 other departures. As long as we have about 15 spaces, we have enough room to recruit with comfort. Keeping these 5 slots would put us at a class closer to 20.

And we have real need right now:
i) TE (HS or grad)
ii) DE (Grad - per Randy himself)
iii) DT (Grad - per Randy himself)
iv) maybe a kicker (inhouse or new blood)
v) wildcard - lets take the best athlete we can find at any position....LB sounds good to me.

Reaction Score
I'm more worried that a pattern of failing to utilize every scholarship in a given cycle is contributing to our problem with having a depleted group of upper classman. If we go into fall with more than one scholarship open then shame on Randy for not working harder. Everyone of these 5 open slots should be filled with a body that is here using the gym, learning the playbook and developing. If we wait until next year that means we have just 5 more kids that are of little use until 2022 or later.

He has to fill these slots by 8/1. We should enter fall camp with a full roster. Frankly we should be like other programs where we have to gray shirt a kid once in a while.

This idea that we need to save slots for the following year is ridiculous when you consider how narrow our recruiting band is.

Next year will have 8 seniors, probably at least 5 red shirt JRs that leave and probably 2 to 4 other departures. As long as we have about 15 spaces, we have enough room to recruit with comfort. Keeping these 5 slots would put us at a class closer to 20.

And we have real need right now:
i) TE (HS or grad)
ii) DE (Grad - per Randy himself)
iii) DT (Grad - per Randy himself)
iv) maybe a kicker (inhouse or new blood)
v) wildcard - lets take the best athlete we can find at any position....LB sounds good to me.
Double like

Reaction Score
Okay, Edsall has 5 scholarships in his pocket.

I'm more worried about the ability to bring in a a strong class next year than one or two portal players.

Can't we do both with Grad transfers??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hold on.

Where are the solid transfers? They are here already?

If they leave 5 scholarships unfilled - then every single coach should be fired immediately. That is clear dereliction of duty. Either strategically or tactically - who cares which.

If they are leaving 5 scholarships unfilled to save $300k they should tell us now so that the state can allow the Rent to go into foreclosure.

Reaction Score
Using scholarships because they are burning a hole in your pocket is not good decision making. You should never give a scholarship to someone who cannot help your program. It's suicide.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Using scholarships because they are burning a hole in your pocket is not good decision making. You should never give a scholarship to someone who cannot help your program. It's suicide.

having a coaching staff that cant recruit 85 FBS players means you are already dead.

if they go into the season with 80 scholarship players they should drop football on 8/28.

Reaction Score
having a coaching staff that cant recruit 85 FBS players means you are already dead.

if they go into the season with 80 scholarship players they should drop football on 8/28.
Calm down. First, I think one scholarship will go to the kicker as there isn’t a kicker on scholarship after Tarbut left. Also, the transfer portal has changed the game. Look at the number of players that are available from top P5 programs. Nobody knows how it will shake out' but you need scholarships to participate.

Finally, we have a small senior class, so it makes sense to grab more grad transfers that can contribute this year and allow for a normal size recruiting class next year.

Let’s see how it all plays out before we get outraged as I am confident we will have 85 kids on scholarship come September.

Reaction Score
By the way, read other school web sites. Other schools have scholarships available or think they have scholarships available to add players from the portal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Calm down. First, I think one scholarship will go to the kicker as there isn’t a kicker on scholarship after Tarbut left. Also, the transfer portal has changed the game. Look at the number of players that are available from top P5 programs. Nobody knows how it will shake out' but you need scholarships to participate.

Finally, we have a small senior class, so it makes sense to grab more grad transfers that can contribute this year and allow for a normal size recruiting class next year.

Let’s see how it all plays out before we get outraged as I am confident we will have 85 kids on scholarship come September.

We will likely have one or two more kids shake out of the program after spring ball. Randy should be thinking about finding 7 more guys that can be on campus on 8/1 for fall practice. Thats a lot of recruiting / transfer portal work to be doing...so chop - chop.

And lets not forget that fall of 2018 we were docked three scholarships and we let one go unused, so we had a roster of 81. Sounded insignificant at the time, but I sure would like to have had all four of those slots filled last fall so we have four more dudes working out with Matt King and studying that playbook for the 2019 campaign.

Of course its a balancing act, but you can't build depth without using all the slots.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Pretty sure I said August. But the idea that Edsall is leveraging the portal into an improved roster is pretty ridiculous. We are losing players to FBS schools and becoming Seton Hill North.

Reaction Score
There are > 2000 kids in the transfer portal. They can start talking to other schools, but they don’t have to transfer.

Based on the portal info, we are not even close to being a hard hit school. Virginia Tech has 2 QBs, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB in the portal. Louisville has 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 LBs. Illinois has1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 OL, 1 DB. Rutgers has 2 RBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 DB. USC has 4 WRs, 2 LBs, 2 DBs. UCLA has 1 QB, 2 RBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 DL, 2 LBs, 1 DB, And there are many other schools hit hard as well.

Out of the players that left, Davis was the only probable starter. Beavers would have contributed, but I don’t think he would have started.

The transfer portal is new and we don’t know how it all will play out so we need to be patient.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are > 2000 kids in the transfer portal. They can start talking to other schools, but they don’t have to transfer.

Based on the portal info, we are not even close to being a hard hit school. Virginia Tech has 2 QBs, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB in the portal. Louisville has 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 LBs. Illinois has1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 OL, 1 DB. Rutgers has 2 RBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OL, 1 DB. USC has 4 WRs, 2 LBs, 2 DBs. UCLA has 1 QB, 2 RBs, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 DL, 2 LBs, 1 DB, And there are many other schools hit hard as well.

Out of the players that left, Davis was the only probable starter. Beavers would have contributed, but I don’t think he would have started.

The transfer portal is new and we don’t know how it all will play out so we need to be patient.

So we ignore Beavers to Cinci, Davis to Georgia Tech, even Murphy to Ball St while bringing in DII transfers?

We aren’t seeing how that plays out already?

The level of incompetence that is being supported here is amazing.

Reaction Score
So we ignore Beavers to Cinci, Davis to Georgia Tech, even Murphy to Ball St while bringing in DII transfers?

We aren’t seeing how that plays out already?

The level of incompetence that is being supported here is amazing.
Like I said, Davis is the only starter that left. I don’t think Beavers would start and Murphy was buried on the depth chart.

What I do see is we added a lot more speed than we lost.

I remember when people complained about Canadian recruits, but most have been productive in hindsight. Let’s see how the 2 D2 kids do before you trash them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like I said, Davis is the only starter that left. I don’t think Beavers would start and Murphy was buried on the depth chart.

What I do see is we added a lot more speed than we lost.

I remember when people complained about Canadian recruits, but most have been productive in hindsight. Let’s see how the 2 D2 kids do before you trash them.

So a good Cincinnati team wants Beavers but he isn’t good enough to play for the worst defense in the country.

Ok.

Best of luck to the d2 kids... but come on - this is stupid at this point. No legitimate FBS program brings in d2 transfers.

I give you credit - you are a true believer. But seriously this program is a joke.

Reaction Score

More likely I'll win the New York this year than UConn has 85 football players on scholarship for the opening game in 2019. But hey, maybe my competition hasn't been chopp'n as much wood as me.

Reaction Score
So a good Cincinnati team wants Beavers but he isn’t good enough to play for the worst defense in the country.

Ok.

Best of luck to the d2 kids... but come on - this is stupid at this point. No legitimate FBS program brings in d2 transfers.

I give you credit - you are a true believer. But seriously this program is a joke.
The only way D2 or FCS players can transfer to FBS and play immediately is as a grad transfer. There aren’t that many grad transfers from those levels as not as many kids redshirt. But, we do know there is talent at D2 and FCS as we do know there were 83 D2 kids on NFL rosters. In fact, 4 NFL teams had 6 D2 players on their roster including the LA Rams. Two of the best WRs in the NFL, Tyreek Hill and Adam Thielen played D2.

Let’s see how they do and then analyze their performance. I think they can play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only way D2 or FCS players can transfer to FBS and play immediately is as a grad transfer. There aren’t that many grad transfers from those levels as not as many kids redshirt. But, we do know there is talent at D2 and FCS as we do know there were 83 D2 kids on NFL rosters. In fact, 4 NFL teams had 6 D2 players on their roster including the LA Rams. Two of the best WRs in the NFL, Tyreek Hill and Adam Thielen played D2.

Let’s see how they do and then analyze their performance. I think they can play.

This is Diaco level delusion you are peddling.

Please stop enabling this.

Reaction Score

Ok.

So....besides your perfunctory answer of being insane, why do you even bother to hang around? Your assessment of the program is obviously supported by past and current (perceived) ineptitude. Surely you’re not an optimist- you’re a realist. I get that. And according to the breadth of your posts you don’t see things changing any time soon. Seems to me like you should just stop following this joke of a program that happens to be broke as well? It’s almost like you’re beating a dead horse with your criticism of the team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So....besides your perfunctory answer of being insane, why do you even bother to hang around? Your assessment of the program is obviously supported by past and current (perceived) ineptitude. Surely you’re not an optimist- you’re a realist. I get that. And according to the breadth of your posts you don’t see things changing any time soon. Seems to me like you should just stop following this joke of a program that happens to be broke as well? It’s almost like you’re beating a dead horse with your criticism of the team.

actually i’m getting there. i’ve been to every home game except one since 1998. i went to my first game in 1986. i’ve been to dozens of road games all over the place.

there is something extremely wrong in storrs - maybe it’s just they are so broke they can’t function as a legitimate athletic department - maybe it is other factors

if you dont like what i post you can put me on ignore - they were one of the worst teams in college football history last year - and they have worse coaches and a worse roster for 2019. sorry not sorry for not pretending bringing in d2 transfers is going improve things

but thanks for the advice guy who has been around two seconds because he knows someone on the team

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let’s stop pretending this is some great strategic plan. We lost too many recruiting battles we thought we might win, so here we are.
Sounds like the mens basketball team

Reaction Score
actually i’m getting there. i’ve been to every home game except one since 1998. i went to my first game in 1986. i’ve been to dozens of road games all over the place.

there is something extremely wrong in storrs - maybe it’s just they are so broke they can’t function as a legitimate athletic department - maybe it is other factors

if you dont like what i post you can put me on ignore - they were one of the worst teams in college football history last year - and they have worse coaches and a worse roster for 2019. sorry not sorry for not pretending bringing in d2 transfers is going improve things

but thanks for the advice guy who has been around two seconds because he knows someone on the team
Never said I didn’t like your posts. I read them just like all the other ones on here- even Chief’s. I’m a big believer of respectful banter- whether you agree or disagree.
I also believe that the amount of time you follow a program bares no impact on how passionate you may be about said program. You’re no different than me because you can post how long and to what lengths you’ve followed UConn football. Truth is, if I did know someone on the team then the amount of time and how passionate I feel about that person makes the blood I bleed for UConn football just as blue as yours- because I have that personal connection with them.
I’ve never questioned your patriotism for the program and how much time you’ve invested. It was just a bit odd that you bash the optimists on here by calling them insane over their redundant posts on how they believe the program will get better- yet you live directly on the opposite side of the island of redundancy with your constant posts on how the program is a tire fire.
Was just a bit odd to me. That’s all.
I believe there is a thin line between love and hate. Crazy thing is we are all alike in our insanity over the program linked by one thing- our passion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom